GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my Silverado into the garage today to install new Chevy mudflaps on the rear wheel wells. Naturally, this gave me the chance to get acquainted with the jack system of the new truck.

I could not believe how totally dangerous, stupid, and poorly thought out the Chevy jack is. Anyone who has to change a rear tire out on the road, like where it usually must be done, off on a soft shoulder, or slight incline, etc etc., is surely taking a chance with their life. First, the jack needs to be fully extended straight up before it gets anywhere close to the axle, and in compliance with the directions diagram. Next, the top of the jack has no contact with a flat surface, it must contact the round axle! If you get that far without the thing slipping off guess what, you've extended the jack to its limit but the tire is barely half an inch off the ground.

I wouldn't use this jack on a concrete garage floor without first inserting some protection, like jack stands, underneath. What bleepin' morons!!

Machine Pipe Steel Engineering Cylinder

·
Registered
444 Posts
When I had my flat at 3 weeks, I saw first hand what a poor excuse for a jack I had on board.
First order of business was sticking a small floor jack behind the seat , with a criss-cross wrench to get some leverage on the lug nuts.

That's why I only wanted to spend $20k on a new truck- I knew GM would "cheap out" and cut corners wherever they could.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Wow...I can't believe they would give you that with a brand new truck. Classic GM...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
YES........That jack, lug wrench and the spare lowering device are real cheap POS
as I found out with my gmt-900! I had to resort to CUTTING the cable end/keeper of the
lowering device (that holds the spare to the body) to remove the spare tire! I wanted to
put the spare in my covered bed.

Sure glad I have AAA to change a flat !

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
I have the same jack in my 2010 Yukon XL. I have changed a rear tire with it, on an inclined parking lot by a lake. It was challenging but it got the job done. I agree it can be dangerous if you're not careful and take your time.

·
Registered
10,474 Posts
You can keep that to the US! I agree it does not look at all capable of doing the job it needs to do safely. I always put the spare under the car whilst I jack it up but I would not use this jack at all. I would buy an alternative. Here in Australia I would expect this to get banned by health and safety officials if it was supplied in trucks for use by utility companies etc.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The jack is fine for it's intentions, which is emergency roadside repairs. It was never intended to be added to one's garage tool set. Yes, a scissor type jack would have been better, but this one works in a pinch.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I don't see how that jack is considered cheap as I've used one like that in a pinch on a 09 F150 and had no misgiving about what it was intended. It is an emergency jack only, and to use it in any other fashion would be to one's own detriment. OEM spare jacks have never been the epitome of "safe" in regards to anything other than a quick emergency fix no matter the OEM. I will follow-up with saying that I would go out and purchase a 2.5 Ton jack from Advanced Auto and just kept it in the rear. It's like $35 and takes up no room at all. Problem solved

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Is that where the jack is to be used? I'm just curious if the owners manual specifies a different location as I doubt a wood block is actually required.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you guys nuts? Re-read my opening post. Look at this picture and tell me this jack is safe for use in an "emergency" on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
And...? They've used that jack since the GMT-800 trucks. How many people really change their tire for the spare in an emergency? They call AAA or some other roadside they have and have them do it. Not sure what you were expecting.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Are you guys nuts? Re-read my opening post. Look at this picture and tell me this jack is safe for use in an "emergency" on the road.
I'm in agreement with you, although I guess we will be in the minority. I guess the generation of "fix it yourself" has moved on and the generation of "call AAA/Roadside Assistance" is here. At the very least there should be a jack point on the bottom of the axle or something that more safely secures the jack to the vehicle when lifting. I have my own jack that goes with me in my truck (I don't even like the scissor jacks), but that should not be something you willingly accept when you are paying $40K+ for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Does the jack reach the axle and lift it high enough to remove a wheel on level ground?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I read a lot of typical GM stuff. My question is how much better is the rest of the industry? Is their jacks any better and if so who has the best?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I just use the shock mount tab below the axle it works in a pinch .

Reactions: MtBadBob

·
Registered
833 Posts
Damn. At least the bottle jack in my Jeep XJ Cherokee has the top sort of "U" shaped so it doesn't slip out from under the axle. If this is the best GM can do I might be rethinking looking at the new Colorado as a replacement for my Cherokee.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Damn. At least the bottle jack in my Jeep XJ Cherokee has the top sort of "U" shaped so it doesn't slip out from under the axle. If this is the best GM can do I might be rethinking looking at the new Colorado as a replacement for my Cherokee.
Yeah doesn't GM know that standard spare tire jack is high on shoppers lists when picking their new vehicle?

Unbelievable replies in a ridiculous thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If this is the best GM can do I might be rethinking looking at the new Colorado as a replacement for my Cherokee.
If one eliminates a vehicle because of something like that, I'd surmise they're looking for an excuse not to purchase it in the first place. At least a jack is included -- more and more vehicles are simply provided with a can of fix-a-flat.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If one eliminates a vehicle because of something like that, I'd surmise they're looking for an excuse not to purchase it in the first place. At least a jack is included -- more and more vehicles are simply provided with a can of fix-a-flat.
No, but I have pretty much decided not to buy any of the current or soon to appear fixed metal roof Jeeps since they are no longer even close to having the features I first came to Jeep to get.
If I have to accept compromises, if I can no longer get from a manufacturer the things that made me chose that manufacturer I might as well shop around.
Hence the reason I'm considering the Colorado.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts