GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all
I am looking for the fuel comsumption of Silverado's
list your year model transmission, rear end ratio , mileage and fuel used. city or highway driving What are your driving habbits I burn the pavement, work, casual driving , just a Sunday driver or I go so slow I'm almost in reverse
mine is a 2008 1500 ext cab 6.6 box automatic 373gr
Z71 4x4 vehicle mileage 670 trip miles 200 fuel used 12.9 15.4 mpg city casual driving I would like your comments Brags or Rags

thanks to all that respond

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
neither.

I have the same truck except an 2007....15.5mpg city is nothing to brag about on the grand scheme of things, but it isn't bad for the Silverado. I have the flex fuel 5.3L engine 4x4 Z71 extended cab with the same rear end.

I get about 15...I could get much more if several of these pointless traffic lights were removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 1500 Crew Crew Cab short box w/ 5.3L AFM. I believe it has the 3.42 rear end. I get 14.6 mpg driving to work which is 60% highway/40% city streets. I get 16 mpg in town if I'm outside the downtown core. I got 12 mpg driving down the highway in a cross state trip the other day into the wind and 15.5 mpg coming home.

It's still pretty new (5300 miles) but I'm disappointed with the mileage. I use my cruise control 90% of the time when I'm on the highway.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I don't have a Silverado but I have an Avalanche which is close. Here's how I typically do (on 87 octane, not towing).

The truck has 56,000 miles on it, a 3.53 rear end, iron block 325ci V8 with FlexFuel and AFM (RPO code is LMG), all hooked up to a 4L80E 4sp transmission.

Around town i usually average 16mpg, and on the highway I get 21mpg. I tend to have a light foot and take perfectionist care of my vehicle (you'd be amazed the difference a clean air filter and properly inflated tires will make). I usually cruise at 65mph if I'm just going somewhere.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
uh, do you really want my numbers?

average 13 on my commute
17-18 highway if i can stay under 70.

but its a truck, if i wanted high mpg id buy a car.

I have a 2008 1500 Crew Crew Cab short box w/ 5.3L AFM. I believe it has the 3.42 rear end. I get 14.6 mpg driving to work which is 60% highway/40% city streets. I get 16 mpg in town if I'm outside the downtown core. I got 12 mpg driving down the highway in a cross state trip the other day into the wind and 15.5 mpg coming home.

It's still pretty new (5300 miles) but I'm disappointed with the mileage. I use my cruise control 90% of the time when I'm on the highway.
dont use your cruise, youd be surprised.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had 5 new body style Silverados 1 2007, 3 2008, 1 2009. All were 1/2 ton crew 4wd. the first 3 were z71 with 18" wheels. they achieved roughly 14/17 the 3rd 08 and 09 have the 20" wheel package and they have 12.5/15. I am less than pleased. Big trucks I understand, but the 09 has a 6spd.

·
Registered
586 Posts
dont use your cruise, youd be surprised.
Really?! I use it quite frequently, and I sometimes notice the engine works a little less harder. I don't use cruise on hills though.

The truck is my dad's, but I usually drive it to run errands for him.

The truck's a 2003, so it's pretty old and has a good amount of miles. It's also a Vortec 4.8 with the 4-speed. I don't know what the axle ratio is, but it does have a muffler and tonneau. Also, I added a K&N filter a while ago, which actually helped with power, but I never saw huge differences in mileage.

I drive pretty lightly, sometimes I actually follow the speed limit on the slow lane of any highway. In further detail, I don't tailgate, I don't speed, I accelerate rather slowly especially if there's no one behind me, and I give myself a long braking distance. Mileage ranges from 11-15 in the winter time, to 14-18 or even as high as 22 in warmer climates. If I start driving harder (or if my cousins drive it), mileage drops like a rock (like a rock...lol) to about 12 mpg average...

Best I have ever gotten was actually 24 mpg.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am always surprised to see how low fuel mileage numbers are for these trucks, especially in the car mags. My experience was quite different. I have since sold the truck, but I had a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500. It was a Z-71 with 3.73 gears and the 4 speed auto. This truck had the 5.3 motor which was rated at 285hp that year. I find it hard to believe that the 315hp version is that much worse.
I averaged 16-17mpg in the city of Denver at 5,280 feet. I made a trip from Denver to Jackson Hole, Wy and on the way back registered 21.8mpg. Most of the driving was done across I-80 in Wyoming where there are very high winds and the speed limit is 75mph. I routinely averaged 19-20mpg driving to the ski areas out of Denver as well. Steady 6-8% grade and topping out at 11,900 feet.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Really?! I use it quite frequently, and I sometimes notice the engine works a little less harder. I don't use cruise on hills though.
unless you're on absolute flat ground, cruise does nothing. i noticed (when it was stock) the cruise would put along fine, but as soon as it hit any incline the rpms jump way higher than they needed to be- making the engine work harder than it should. also, going downhill hurts you too. you cant just coast in cruise. thats my experience anyway. i used to regularly beat the cruise.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
^ I have a 2006 CC Z-71 and get the same as him. My new tires have dropped economy a little, but not bad. Just don't dog the crap out of it and it'll do surprisingly well.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
18.5 average city/highway according to the display. I average around 20 on pure highway, around 15-16 in the city.

I've learned to keep it in 4 cylinder mode to get up to 24 on the highway, but you have to be easy on the gas.

I've noticed that cruise control actually keeps it out of 4 cylinder mode.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
2004 Silverado Z71; ext cab; 6.5ft box; 4.8L; 4sp auto; 3.73; P265/70R17*

I tend to just trust my MPG read out and don't calculate it anymore like I did on my Saturn. Before I got the remote start and during the warm months I get 15-16 MPG average on mixed city/hwy driving. That was also with my old job, as well which had me going on the hwy for 15-20mins every morning. Now I live 5 mins away, with just a short run on the hwy.

With the remote start and the brutally cold winter we've been having it's more like 12-14MPG and not much hwy anymore.

When I'm on just the hwy, I tend to do 19-20, if the wind direction is in my favour and I'm not too loaded up. Otherwise it's more like 18MPG.

*(those are my old tires. Toyo Open Country. I got new BF Goodrich LT265/70R17, with a more aggressive shoulder. I love them so far, but all numbers will pertain to the old rubber).

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I drive pretty lightly, sometimes I actually follow the speed limit on the slow lane of any highway. In further detail, I don't tailgate, I don't speed, I accelerate rather slowly especially if there's no one behind me, and I give myself a long braking distance. Mileage ranges from 11-15 in the winter time, to 14-18 or even as high as 22 in warmer climates. If I start driving harder (or if my cousins drive it), mileage drops like a rock (like a rock...lol) to about 12 mpg average...

Best I have ever gotten was actually 24 mpg.
It is good to tailgate a large truck really really closely... call him out on the CB first incase he doesn't want you there ;)

Cruise sucks gas because it's always trying to maintain one speed... economy wise it is better to keep one throttle position and let the speed vary with terrain

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
As like many of the other post I am not totally satisfied with my purchase either, but live with it! Lets hope gas isn't looking at another spike!

Vehicle Specs:

2009 Chevy Silverrado Z71
5.3L Flex Fuel L9H W/ AFM
Axle Ratio - 3.73:1
Transmission 4L60E M30

EPA Estimate Poster States "15-23 MPG" Yeh Right! I bought this about 6 months ago and its got around 6000 miles on the truck, it seems that when I first got the truck I was getting around 20 MPG driving home approx. 250 miles w/ cruise "ON" As the truck has accrued mile it is getting 15MPG on the expressways on the trip home doing the same thing. I feel that I have a problem with my AFM system not switching from V8 Mode to V4 mode.

From what I understand on the system it is suppose to switch from V8 Mode to V4 Mode under light load " crusing. 10mins in V4 and 1min V8 switching back and fourth. This happens within 251milliseconds after sensing light loads. I also noticed that it needed around 52psi of oil pressure for the AFM system to function. I was looking at my oil pressure on the dash which I'm gonna check it with a mechanical gauge later to confirm that it is running at 45psi crusing. This would inhibit AFM from running thus my AFM not functioning and bad fuel economy. Is not and emmission threating problem so I'm sure that AFM isn't gonna turn on the SES light. I also found out that the oil pressure sensor on the Volom Manifold in the valley has a screen that filters particles from the Volom manifold. I feel that my problem lies with a leak in the Volom or a problem with the oil pressure. It states in service information that it takes 5w-30 engine oil. I have also noticed that the engine will knock on startups. Trust me I have never beat on this truck. Its a startup problem and as soon as it runs for 10-20 secs the oil pressure kicks up but this happens intermittenly and not all the time. Something isn't sealing in the truck and the oil pressure for the AFM to kick in isn't working. I wish I had a Tech II to check it ot further. I have a Nemisys and have been checking it out further but with not a whole lot of time on my hands it has been slow progress but higher gas prices has got me motivated so maybe this weekend. I know that GM engineers look at these fourms and I suggest that they take a better look at this and am willing to work with any of them to correct this problem if this is a known problem. I just want to get it fixed! As I get more information I will post it. I might even go to the dealer and purchase a Tech II and the candi-module to communicate with the vehicle betterr and get all the OE testingfunctions that my current scanner cannot do.

Any feedback is welcome or email me direct!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
As like many of the other post I am not totally satisfied with my purchase either, but live with it! Lets hope gas isn't looking at another spike!

Vehicle Specs:

2009 Chevy Silverrado Z71
5.3L Flex Fuel L9H W/ AFM
Axle Ratio - 3.73:1
Transmission 4L60E M30

EPA Estimate Poster States "15-23 MPG" Yeh Right! I bought this about 6 months ago and its got around 6000 miles on the truck, it seems that when I first got the truck I was getting around 20 MPG driving home approx. 250 miles w/ cruise "ON" As the truck has accrued mile it is getting 15MPG on the expressways on the trip home doing the same thing. I feel that I have a problem with my AFM system not switching from V8 Mode to V4 mode.

From what I understand on the system it is suppose to switch from V8 Mode to V4 Mode under light load " crusing. 10mins in V4 and 1min V8 switching back and fourth. This happens within 251milliseconds after sensing light loads. I also noticed that it needed around 52psi of oil pressure for the AFM system to function. I was looking at my oil pressure on the dash which I'm gonna check it with a mechanical gauge later to confirm that it is running at 45psi crusing. This would inhibit AFM from running thus my AFM not functioning and bad fuel economy. Is not and emmission threating problem so I'm sure that AFM isn't gonna turn on the SES light. I also found out that the oil pressure sensor on the Volom Manifold in the valley has a screen that filters particles from the Volom manifold. I feel that my problem lies with a leak in the Volom or a problem with the oil pressure. It states in service information that it takes 5w-30 engine oil. I have also noticed that the engine will knock on startups. Trust me I have never beat on this truck. Its a startup problem and as soon as it runs for 10-20 secs the oil pressure kicks up but this happens intermittenly and not all the time. Something isn't sealing in the truck and the oil pressure for the AFM to kick in isn't working. I wish I had a Tech II to check it ot further. I have a Nemisys and have been checking it out further but with not a whole lot of time on my hands it has been slow progress but higher gas prices has got me motivated so maybe this weekend. I know that GM engineers look at these fourms and I suggest that they take a better look at this and am willing to work with any of them to correct this problem if this is a known problem. I just want to get it fixed! As I get more information I will post it. I might even go to the dealer and purchase a Tech II and the candi-module to communicate with the vehicle betterr and get all the OE testingfunctions that my current scanner cannot do.

Any feedback is welcome or email me direct!
I can't be of any help for the other things you mentioned, but I do know that all Vortec V-8's have had that "knock" you speak of when starting cold. Nothing is wrong as far as that is concerned with your truck.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts