GM Inside News Forum banner
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Ignore the lower bumper air damn. In the ICE the door sill is just above the center of the wheel/axle. In the EV the "door sills" (bottom of battery pack) are several inches below the center of the wheels. That's probably a 4"-6" difference?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Ignore the lower bumper air damn. In the ICE the door sill is just above the center of the wheel/axle. In the EV the "door sills" (bottom of battery pack) are several inches below the center of the wheels. That's probably a 4"-6" difference?
It is not the locations of the door sills that are important. What is important is the clearance of the lowest structural component. I see components on the Silverado ICE that are substantially lower than the door sills--and have about the same clearance of the belly of the Silverado EV.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Breakover angle is as important as approach / departure angles, which is precisely where the 6" lower sills / flat underbelly come into play. And the above Silverado pic isn't even the Trail Boss.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,034 Posts
Yes and it does look really low to the ground in that photo. Is it a 2 WD model or what?
It is not the locations of the door sills that are important. What is important is the clearance of the lowest structural component. I see components on the Silverado ICE that are substantially lower than the door sills--and have about the same clearance of the belly of the Silverado EV.
That thing still looks really low, about like my AWD Equinox for ground clearance. And I have decided after a couple of tries out on two tracks in the desert south of town that the thing is best not even to be really attempted with it.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,704 Posts
The tires look like strictly for road use, some sort of Bridgestones. The article speculates this could be an LT, one step above the work truck. They’re talking about fleet sales, maybe this is something for them.

Fancier versions with more ground clearance, off-road tires, etc. are sure to come IMO.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Don’t work trucks go off road? That’s what I see in all the highway construction sites around here. And what happens when you throw 500 pounds of gear in the back? They’re gonna sag. That would concern me. Can that EV even drive over a simple curb?

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
🙃

121 - 131 of 131 Posts