GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I wasn’t aware there are existing ‘structural issues’ on GM’s 1500s that needed addressing.

The butresses impede bed access at the front sides & the 1-piece body shell only allows for 1 bed length. IF GM is going to replace a (traditional) 800K units with a single ‘Avalanche-esque’ body, that’s NOT going to appeal to a huge volume of buyers.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I like it, but not sure the styling isn't really a big mistake. The current Motor Trend has a review of the F-150 Lightning. It looks like any other F-150. Great review; it can't come up with many reasons to stick with an ICE F-150. It's the electric truck for truck guys. I think Ford may have the right idea.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very interesting proportions shown in that photo from the side. Looks like the interior will be quite voluminous. It would be interesting if someone could overlay an image of an ICE Silverado on this photo to compare the two.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting proportions shown in that photo from the side. Looks like the interior will be quite voluminous. It would be interesting if someone could overlay an image of an ICE Silverado on this photo to compare the two.
The Silverado EV (233 in with 5ft-11in bed) is about the same length of a ICE crew cab short bed (232 in with 5ft-10in bed)

The EV should have a shorter front end to allow for a larger interior.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
I like it, but not sure the styling isn't really a big mistake. The current Motor Trend has a review of the F-150 Lightning. It looks like any other F-150. Great review; it can't come up with many reasons to stick with an ICE F-150. It's the electric truck for truck guys. I think Ford may have the right idea.
The TFL tow test shows that clearly, it’s not a regular truck and cannot be used as such. I am now convinced that Hydrogen power trains are possibly the right solution for an electric tow vehicle.

·
Registered
18,766 Posts
First time I've noticed the independent rear axle. People aren't going to like that.
Ehh....it depends on how GM will market it. Yes, the Lightning loses a ton of range while towing but in some configurations it can have 2k payload and like 10k towing. Not huge numbers but certainly doable with the larger battery in the SE.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Ehh....it depends on how GM will market it. Yes, the Lightning loses a ton of range while towing but in some configurations it can have 2k payload and like 10k towing. Not huge numbers but certainly doable with the larger battery in the SE.
I wouldn't buy a truck with an independent rear axle, they're basically useless.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Not a fan of the huge flank on these trucks, but it helps to hide the truck's unusual cab-forward architecture and longer bed. You can tell they really struggled to design around the functional hard points of the truck. But it lends itself to much better space utilization. It'll take some getting use to, like Cybertruck it's more attention-seeking.

Lighthing 2 also has a similar snub-nose design with a huge cab, but a more conventional truck profile. Possibly a smaller frunk because of it.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
The TFL tow test shows that clearly, it’s not a regular truck and cannot be used as such. I am now convinced that Hydrogen power trains are possibly the right solution for an electric tow vehicle.
The MT review listed towing "hundreds of miles" as one reason not to get the EV F-150. But they didn't have much else to prefer the ICE F-150 over the EV. For just about every normal work or commuting use of a truck, the EV is at least as good.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Did anyone really think Ultium would use a leaf spring and a solid axle rear end? I expect GM will keep a solid axle leaf spring rear in the 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles. I guess the immediate question is, how long will the current 1/2 ton pickup soldier on? Time will tell if the Silverado EV Work Truck trim will gain traction in the market. I'm definitely not a fan of all the plastic cladding.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts