·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 56 years, car dealership calls it quits
Wolfe Chevrolet plans to expand its healthy Mazda business
Fiona Anderson, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, August 15, 2008
Dropping sales and the rising price of Vancouver real estate are causing a well-known Chevrolet car dealership to close its doors after more than half a century.

Wolfe Chevrolet at Boundary Road and 1st Avenue will put the brakes on its Chevrolet franchise at the end of the month after 56 years in business, its president and general manager Frank Wolfe said in an interview. The move will enable the company to sell some of its now-valuable real estate and expand its Mazda dealership next door.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=33ca1a35-2daf-4cbc-a188-97a748b25147

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
This is nothing new, nor is it just a GM problem. Down here we had a dealer (John Markel) who offloaded his Ford business to focus strictly on Bimmers, Jags, Land Rovers and Minis.....

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
That's why it is important too get the Chevrolet Cruz, Chevrolet MPV minivan etc out asap.
From some of the speculative images on the web, from a styling standpoint I'd take the upcoming Mazda 3 over the Cruz. I just don't care for the front end and the blank panel at the C pillar. Just me personal taste.

When gas goes back down to $2.50 a gallon, won't he feel stupid.
If they have stayed in business as long as they have I doubt they have made too many bad decisions. Even if gas gets to $2.50 it will be above that when the world economy and demand recovers.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When gas goes back down to $2.50 a gallon, won't he feel stupid.
What planet do you live on? I'm going to assume that was a joke.

The world is changing and change is for real. While we we see fuel price fluctuations, anyone who thinks that today's prices are nothing more than a mometary blip are in for a shock. 2008 is not 1973. In 1973 the issue was primarily politcal. In 2008 the issue is world demand for a diminshing supply of fuel. In 1973, the Indians and Chinese used donkeys and goats. Today they drive Buicks.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Isn't this what GM wants? They say they have too many dealerships as it is, and the dealerships eat up each others profits through competition. Many writers have said that GM would be healthier if it could get rid of a large share of its dealerships.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Looks to me like many here didn't bother to read the entire article.

1) The price of real estate in Vancouver means they can make a killing on selling the land left over after he expands his service department;

2) It is stated clearly in the piece that the dealership made a lot of money on warranty and repair work, and that today's cars don't break as much.

Since it's a GM dealership, would it not follow that the warranty work involved was less because they were servicing GM cars that were better built?

Since it is implied that the Mazda dealership is more profitable, and since dealers make most of their money on warranty and repairs (as stated), then does it not follow that the Mada product....

No, never mind. What was I thinking? This is JapanesesInsideNews.com after all.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Since Mazda doesn't make a full size truck, there go lost sales which was his bread and butter anyway.

And since Ford owns a lot of Mazda, if Ford goes bankrupt....

Uh, Brother Rick, can I have my dealership back?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
GM needs more dealers to do this. It'll save them from spending the money to buy them out to get the dealer numbers more inline with sales.
Absolutely. Besides losing Wolfe is likely not as big a deal as losing say Dueck or Dennison; hopefully some of the employees can get on at Wolfe Mazda.

I still think the real estate is behind this though; that land is among the most expensive in North America right now, believe it or not.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Wow.

Ouch.

Follow the money. :yup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.