GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where or when they plan on retrofitting or building new factories to build these cars? Im sure with the sure volume of the cars there gunna make off this one chassis, there will be more then one factory. At least 3, and possible 4 if demand skyrockets. I figure possible cars are
Buick mid sized and large sedans(Regal, LaCrosse,Park Ave, etc)
Pontiac mid sized and large sedans and coupes(GTO, Tempest?, GP, Bonnie)
Chevy mid sized and large seadans and couples (Camaro?, Monte, Impy)
And if they can adapt to AWD, it opens it up even more. AWD vehicls for Saab, Hummer's(H4 cross over XUV style?) GMC and Chevy XUV/T? They need to be building them somewhere. The VE is already in development in Austrialia and Europe and Holden plans to start using it in 2 years time or less i heard? Anyone with any info? Im just excited abotu a RWD platfrom more then anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are starting in OZ but want to bring the Holden technology factories to the U.S. starting with the 2007 models. With the Holden Technology they will definitely be kicking some donkey butt.

:D

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I wonder if the new Delta Township assembly plant (Open in '06) outside of Lansing, MI is going to be the recipient of Sigma-Lite/Mass/VE platforms...

Ken

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by kmacleod@Oct 25 2003, 07:58 PM
I wonder if the new Delta Township assembly plant (Open in '06) outside of Lansing, MI is going to be the recipient of Sigma-Lite/Mass/VE platforms...

Ken
I would hope so. I figure that if the cars are gunnabe made for teh 07 and up model year, they would start crackin on retrofitting and building NOW!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by kmacleod@Oct 25 2003, 02:58 PM

Ken
Delta Township already has product scheduled with no room for any unrelated rear-wheel drive vehicles.

I know you guys are wishing for all of these rear-drivers, but don't be disappointed with few if any of them show up. The next Impala/Monte Carlo (last I heard) were going to be front-wheel drive. As mentioned elsewhere, even the upcoming DTS and LeSabre are front-wheel drive. Rear-drive versions of the Grand Prix is no closer than 2008 model year (and I'm betting on 2009 or later, if at all). If the LaCrosse goes rear-wheel drive, don't expect it before the 2010 model year.

Buick has a rear-driver on the schedule, but only one (a sedan). Aside from that, the Corvette/XLR, Solstice, CTS/STS, and next generation GTO, there were no definite rear-drivers on the GM schedule, the last I checked. A Camaro has been often rumored, but won't happen before 2007 model year, at the earliest.

IF the Grand Prix and LaCrosse go rear-wheel drive, they'll be built in Oshawa (like the current models). They wouldn't be popular enough for even a second plant (let alone a third or fourth). IF the Impala/Monte Carlo goes rear-drive, the other Oshawa car plant will get them.

GM has no plans to build a new plant unless it replaces an old one. They finally got the UAW to allow them to reduce OVERcapacity. Delta Township basically replaces the Lansing plants. Lansing Grand River (the newest active plant) is replacing Buick City in capacity. There's absolutely no need for GM to build one more extra North American plant...not yet and not in the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that the new Simga chassis will have a very large effect and I find it very hard to belive that no factory is gunna be made for the new chassis. The chassis is gunna be made, but where. Even if only 2 cars are schedualed for a build off it, where is it gunna be built? I think there are a lot more cars that are gunna go RWD or AWD more then FWD. I dont see the Flagship Caddy DTS keeping with FWD, it wouldnt be what caddy wants in a world class car. And not if they wana match cars like the 760iL and S600, i.e. that V12 northstar aint gunna cut it for FWD.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The DTS is aimed at a core group of buyers. If Cadillac wants to put out a V12 car, it will, most likely, be some other model. The DTS/Deville has been their volume product for ages and I can't see them moving it dramatically upscale just to put a V12 in it.

I can see an eventual rear-drive DTS, but it'll be a number of years from now since the next version will remain front-drive.

As for any Sigma models, GM already built one plant for Sigma...Cadillac's Lansing Grand River plant. IF any other models go onto that (or related) platform, they'll most likely be built in the plant that makes the product they replace. If the Grand Prix goes rear-drive, it'll be built in Oshawa....etc.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was always under the impression that the DTS or Deville model was the Flagship? If the Deville isnt, then wtf is?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no way... ive driven both... the devillie way more nicer, larger, better riding, etc...

the Sevillie looks a little big more "sportier" then the Deville which has a very luxo apearance.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Oct 25 2003, 05:24 AM
Anyone know where or when they plan on retrofitting or building new factories to build these cars?  Im sure with the sure volume of the cars there gunna make off this one chassis, there will be more then one factory.  At least 3, and possible 4 if demand skyrockets.  I figure possible cars are
Buick mid sized and large sedans(Regal, LaCrosse,Park Ave, etc)
Pontiac mid sized and large sedans and coupes(GTO, Tempest?, GP, Bonnie)
Chevy mid sized and large seadans and couples (Camaro?, Monte, Impy)
And if they can adapt to AWD, it opens it up even more.  AWD vehicls for Saab, Hummer's(H4 cross over XUV style?) GMC and Chevy XUV/T?  They need to be building them somewhere.  The VE is already in development in Austrialia and Europe and Holden plans to start using it in 2 years time or less i heard? Anyone with any info?  Im just excited abotu a RWD platfrom more then anything.
Right now completion of GM-Oshawa's $400 Million new paint shop is in its final stages, once online it will be used for the Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo (plant #1) and the Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal/Century (plant #2). If there was any kind of plans for a platform change with these models then GM will just retrofit the existing plants. I highly doubt they will spend 400M and then build a new plant elsewhere for a new platform regarding these models.

As far as the other models you mentioned I havn't a clue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts