GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Ok. Its not that I am anti-Japanese…got friends and all. But I am sick of the import hype. Just came supercar.net forum where this guy is talking about how great the S2000 is and how bad the Solstice is going to be. Talking HP this HP that. To set the facts straight….Horsepower is like Miles and Kilometers…If auto manufacturers announced torque …people who be like “what” Horsepower allows use to have an understanding of what it is we have…approximately, however….Torque..(you tech guys know what I mean) is the real measuremeant of power….torque is converted to HP. So high torque engines are ideal. Its all about when you get the torque and how long it last. I drove a S2000 the other day. Inside it was clever and well executed. The power was another story. Yeah, 240HP is advertised but I guarentee anyone who has driven a SS Camaro would not be impressed. You don’t feel anything until the VTEC kicks in around 5000rpm. You are always shifting, which will get you beat by another guy. All one get is a bunch of noise. I wasn’t impressed. Fast is only realative to what you have experience before. A guy with a civic is going to think the S2000 is fast, but after being in and driving a Ford Lighting, which was a pants in seat experience, I can say “yarn” to the S2000. Yeah is handles, but so did my 1900 lb Chevy Spectrum. Journalist claim the American companies are fleecing people, but the Japanese are as well. Nissan for example, has cheap interiors, Clone vehicles, and over used engines al la 3.5L V6. Honda who thinks they are helping you by adding vtec, doesn’t have to have solid chasis or good trano’s. Don’t get mad, just listen. Try putting a GM V6 with a borg-warner trano in a S2000 and see if the chasis can handle it. Not at all. Why do you think that getting 120 hp /l is efficient. The S2000’s combined milage is about even with the Z06 …look it up …Car and Driver….You call that efficent? A 5.7 L the get nearly 30 mile to the gallon is efficient. By the standards of most 4 cylinders the S2000 gets aweful gas milage. See but the trick is to compare it with cars in its class…That’s how they get over…of course is mileage is going to be better than the 350 Z, or RX8(they still can’t get the rotary to be good on fuel). But when compared to another 4 cylinder, the S2000 is at a lost. Now compare the LS6 to Ferraris V8’s or V12s, Ford’s, or Lamborghini’s, or Aston Martin’s….no comparison. It’s all hype. After about 3 years pop the hood of an import and a domestic…are the the exhast manifolds rusted?? Yep
I am not saying that Japanese brands are garbage, but that the Americans aren’t far behind. Perceived value is what it is “perceived”. Low rent is going to be low rent no matter how you put it. Where’s Japan’s Anwer to Ferrari???? Or even Corvette??? The 350 Z is slower than a 2000 SS Camaro, yes it is race one an see….What makes it so great??? Styling???? Wow the Audi TT/ Porsche look is orginal…Acura’ s “I wish I were European” look is orginal. Don’t let me even start on the EVO or STI …..Yeah I want a AWD econobox with a turbo….This sure is a car with prestige….Nobody will care about the lack of space or low rent interior, just the spooling of the turbo which I know will make my girl happy, and the exhaust buzzing like a bee will get her ready to give me a kiss. This the car I want when I graduate from college. This will show that I am successful…and evo!!!! (no disrespect to graduates with evos) My friends will love getting thrown around in the back seat. Kiss it good by Europe…the Z16 (next generation Zo6) will give you nightmares. I truly believe the G6 GTP is going to hurt some feelings, and the Solstice Coupe (if not to heavy) will do the same. You ****y import drivers, get over yourselves, a car is a car…if all you can brag about is horsepwer per liter than brag on and tell me if my taillights work or if I am leaking oil.

-Jitzu (yeah its Japanese….So)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
jitzu: It will continue unless GM/Ford/Chrysler brings a real 'revolution'. Yes, they're improving. But, many have STOPPED looking at GM/Ford/Chrysler because of the horrible cars they brought out during the 80s and 90s. So most likely, the Import Hype will continue as long as people remember those UGLY cars GM/Ford/Chrysler brought out in the 80s and 90s...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts