GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

· Registered
610 Posts
Maybe so, but there will be some. And more on the way. I think the Arrowhead concept is probably a lot closer to what F-bodders would like to see. At least it looks like it is growing some nuts.

By the way, isn't the GTO commercial all about lighting up the rear tires, sounds like f-bod people to me (just more affluent ones)? And when you say performance, do you mean straight line and not total performance? Because I think it has total in spades. I love the F-body, but you are right when you say the GTO is different and that is not nec. a bad thing. This could let the next Firebird/TA be MORE performance oriented, less luxo and that would be nice. Of course that didn't help it in the end.

· Registered
459 Posts
GM's trying to play off the new GTO like it has a link to the old GTO's.. which I don't think it has.

The new GTO may be more well rounded, but a Jack of All Trades isn't going to take on the Master of One Fbodies on their home turf.

I agree though that the new GTO addons will go a long way in gathering Fbody owners.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Originally posted by TAFreak@Nov 19 2003, 03:43 AM
Well, the new GTO isn't marketed at the same crowd the Fbodies are.

04 GTO -> Guys going through a mid life crisis, but can't get a vette for some reason (price, practicality, etc)
4th Gen Fbodies -> Performance enthusiasts

Sure, there will be modded GTOs, but odds are you won't run into one as often as you would a modded Fbody. There's going to be way more of the Fbodies around. Also, add in the fact that the GTO's are heavier, lose less horsepower though the drivetrain, etc... your average GTO isn't going to compete with your average fbody on the street.

At least until the 05's come out.
Dude, i'm 30 hardly a mid life crissis i'm going threw :zippy:

· Registered
295 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 17 2003, 04:25 AM
sorry if this is a dumb question, or just the wrong place to ask, but what is that "MY" '07 year? is "MY" supposed to stand for may, as in, may 2007?
I think "MY" is referring to Model Year. :type:

· Premium Member
13,378 Posts
ahahah I love the GTO vs Fbody talk.

Lets talk stock vs stock since you can mod each car till your hearts content.
GTO is as fast as a Fbody
GTO can hang with an Fbody in the turns
GTO outclasses the Fbody
GTO out seats the Fbody
GTO is not as "sporty" looking as a Fbody

Look, we can stand here and you can say ill dust GTO's all day. Im sure you will dust stock GTO's but it wont take long before you find that one GTO with just a couple more mods then you have and then Im sure you will change your mind. GTO is not for middle aged people. Hell, im 19 and if i had the money, id get one. 4th gen fbodies are mostly bought for the engine. If the 4th gen had the mustangs 4.6 pushing only 250-260hp, no one would buy it. As a fellow Fbody member, I accept the GTO into the world of 2+2 american sports cars. I think to many people wanted a super retro car with a blower and some crazy WS6 hood. Also combined with the fact that the fbody is no longer, it makes people upset that they dont have a car like the fbody anymore. Personaly, im glad there gone so GM can rething the cars style. The GTO is in a class above the Fbody. Its as fast and it does it in style. Im sure no one will gut the interior of the GTO and make a strait up race car out of it... but I could be wrong. Thats what seperates the GTO from the Fbody is that the GTO is much more of a classy car and people wouldnt cut it up as they do with the fbodies.

· Registered
2,426 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 20 2003, 07:20 AM
I accept the GTO into the world of 2+2 american sports cars.
So do I, but PERSONALLY, I am more attracted to the f-body in terms of exterior styling and performance for the dollar. The interior of the GTO is unarguably light years ahead of the F-body. Handling will be right on with the f-body with good drivers, and a bit ahead with average drivers. Straight line performance will be maybe a couple tenths slower with good drivers. With the average GTO driver who DOESN'T switch from the f-body... I think they'll have a VERY hard time keeping up.

Myself, i'd wait for the Chevrolet version... but i'll wait for the Camaro even longer, especially since the Corvette just doesn't do it for me.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks to all for their opions and help..i've decided to not cancel my order and should have it gto) in about a week i'm told. 33 thousand for a car that seems to be compared to other cars for much much more money is the selling point. Thanks again

· Registered
736 Posts
Have you people lost your gords? The third and fourth gen fbodies handled like CRAP on turns. Live axles get OWNED by IRS set-ups...CONSTANTLY. There is a reason that GM didn't use the fbody to race in..And also a reason the Aussies use the Monaro..the same reason GM used the vette...IRS owns the CRAP ouf of LA on autocross..

Note your average ls1 fbody does not run 12's but more mid 13's...right along with what the GTO does.

as for styling, well I guess no everyone likes the catfish camaros or Gorilla nose firebirds that GM was handing out to every 19 year old. :rolleyes:

TAFREAK what the hell are you talking about real roads, your about as real a driver as a computer is, stomp and steer a striaght line, yeah real tuff. :rolleyes:

Ah yes but I digress...Just more petty arguments with TAFREAK the GTO LOVER!!! :p

· Registered
4,018 Posts
My personal opinion?
I'd wait.
I'd wait until they looked like '64 GTO convertibles.
Fast? It sounds like all the readers are going to the strips. Racing on the street is a no-no. If you think you have a fast car, go to the strip.

Does a new GTO stack up against a 2-3 year old vette? They probably cost the same (maybe the vette will be cheaper). I'd take the vette.

It will be interesting to see how many GTO's are put on the auction block on Ebay the following year. (I do so love those guys that are selling the "right to buy" privileges on EBay.)

Again, this is my personal opinion.

· Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, judging from the responses, performance and spped are the 2 important goals of this car. Will it or will it not out perform the F-bodies? I didn't read of anybody touting their cup holders or comfort of the rear seat or trunk space.

So, if it is a matter of style and performance, I acknowledge the statistics on the new GTO. I just don't like the style. Can't make a rag top out of one.

· Registered
459 Posts
Well, yes. I ran 13.1 my first run with my LS1 bird.

See, where I actually own one, you get to read about them in magazines.

I'll help you actually learn something, go here. It is a magical place where "people" actually "own" the "cars" they talk "about."

· Registered
658 Posts
LOL! You tell him TAFreak. I get tired of people who don't have an F-body and like to knock to it. The F-bods didn't need IRS's...they were already hella-fast in the turns. Some people know how to drive one.......and some don't.

But on topic....I would buy the new GTO..resale should be pretty high on them for a few years so I agree with the guy who pointed out earlier that the worst that can happen is you drive a GTO for one more year than you planned. Hardly a bad thing, I would think.

· Registered
736 Posts
HAHAHHA you people are to much, so your saying that you 98 ls1 went 13.1 stock, when My friends 02 Vette ran a 13.3 with 20 mroe hoespower and 3-400 LBS less...HAHA right in the magical land of oz where magical stickers make ever car faster, or was that "ford stock" wich includes slicks and a supercharger. AN auto no less, sorry but no.

As for the fbody being fast yes, being better then the IRS...HELL NO Is it quick in turns, maybe be. but quicker then another car with comparable power and IRS , sorry no again.

As for not having an fbody Your wrong again, I do own one, and its me american and patriotic, and pure pontiac then TAFREAK claims his to be.

You people need to get over it, the bird is gone, and thank god.

Oh and for refernce, my friend sold his vette for expense reasons and now drives a 02 WS6 he said himself it wasn't as quick in a straight line or around turns.

· Registered
459 Posts
No, your ignorance shows again. I implied you didn't have an LS1 powered Fbody.

And for the record, I have two.. a 98 LS1 and a 78 6.6L.

I'm willing to bet that Nocturn_Bird's "pure pontiac" 79 T/A is probably a oldmobile powered T/A. :mf_boff:

My friends 02 Vette ran a 13.3 with 20 mroe hoespower and 3-400 LBS
You mean 200 pounds less, first of all. And the fact that you think the time my 98 ran is some how less accurate because your friend's vette shows that you are a mag racer and probably have never seen a drag strip.

my friend sold his vette for expense reasons and now drives a 02 WS6 he said himself it wasn't as quick in a straight line or around turns.
Oh gee really, does he live on the planet earth? Maybe your friend drinks water too? Does he breath air? God damn, could you state anything more blatantly stupid. OF COURSE a Corvette is going to be faster, but not by much. I'm willing to bet his Corvette had wheels.

Were the windows made of glass? Maybe you could compare the glass in the fbodies to a Corvette too, I'm sure there has to be some kind of difference there, that Captain Obvious could point out to us.

· Registered
736 Posts
ugh your unbeleivable, I live at the track, and I know what times the corvette ran because I was racing him at the time, he ran a 13.3 @104 with a 1.9 60' time. No I don't have an LS1 because I can't stand the engine, I have driven an 02 SS, an 01 Vette, and frequently ride in my friends old 02 Vette and his new WS6.

No I have no nasty 403 under my hood you wanna be, sheesh give me more credit then that.

well lets see, you said of coarse the vette is faster...yet you claim YOUR 98 ran faster...so hmm, the first year of fbody LS1, is going to outrun a 02 Vette that has the upgradded camshaft?

No his corvette was bone stock on orignial tires, auto also.

So get your facts straight, before you blurt out your bull****. No stock LS1 fbody is going to outrun the corvette, at least that obeys the laws of physics. Freaks and ringers aside.

· Registered
4,018 Posts
Oh my goodness!
This month's Motor Trend has their Car of the Year picks and the new GTO is mentioned.
What's hot? All that speed and performance!
What's not? It looks like an overgrown Cavalier.

These are the mags words, not mine. Although I previously wrote the same basic opinion in previous threads.
But maybe this is okay since the younger generation wants it this way.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.