GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should VOLT have looked like this or some other fresh design graphic on the new aero body?

I just can't help but think that GM, in trying to carry over some of the Volt Concepts styling cues, made a compromised design which is not one thing or the other. Maybe they should have shaped the new aero body and then gone with some brand new clean sheet graphics.

Below is an example of the same aero body shape as the production Volt but with design graphics that owe nothing to the Volt Concept and simply aim to be an interesting new look.

PS. What do people think of the lightning bolt zigzag style headlights that I thought would fit the Volt name?

;)

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Don't like the reshaped headlights either. That beltline and character line look great, but I think the original is more distinctive.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shaping on the side is kinda cool; I could take it either way.

But sorry, I don't like your headlights.
Yes, well the lights were an attempt to add a real distinctive feature to the front that would make it stand out in a crowd.

But my real aim was to see what the side could be cleaned up like; because to my eye the side window treatment and mirror etc is a contrived mess.

;)

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
I love the creases.. but seriously.. I don't know why people say the Volt doesn't look good. It's actually quite stunning for what it is. I mean seriously.. if U look at the TESLA.. that car really isn't as nice looking as the car it was based on.. the Aero Treatments to make it more efficient automatically make it look a lil "off."

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think hyour changes make it look too much like a G6. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it would probably subject the Volt to even more criticism.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well the windows and body look much much better. I think that area is what really makes the Volt look like crap. But yeah, I definitely like the original headlamps better.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
But my real aim was to see what the side could be cleaned up like; because to my eye the side window treatment and mirror etc is a contrived mess.

;)
I couldn't agree more regarding the windows--but I'm not a fan of the "these go to 11" rising beltline you added. Whenever I see a car with this design element so overexagerated (G6 comes to mind), I envision a commitee of designers brainstorming how to make some mediocre car appear sporty & taking the 'more is better' approach with the rising beltline look.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I like the orange color. Would be cool if the Volt had an available orange color.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I like the original!

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
I think I like the colour coding of the sills better than GMs effort with the black stripe (although the production mirrors are a highlight for me). As for the headlights and spotties, they conflict too much with the grille. I really like the grille though, so perhaps they are better left for the Pontiac Ampere ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I really don't think the Volt looks that bad, especially when you compare it to the Prius. Would I have liked something that looks more like the concept? Sure, but I think GM decided it would be more prudent to squeeze every possible MPG out of this car that they can. Once the technology is established and GM as a company is on better footing, perhaps then you can start droppign e-flex into a sports car body. Right now though, you have to find a way to get the general public to start thinking of GM as a "green" company and start changing opinions as a whole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts