GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else here likes the utility of hatches and would like to see more of them?

Sure, Pontiac has the Toyota Vibe, but the MAXX is a bigger, more upscale vehcile. How about a Pontiac G6 "Pente" :p , or a Saab not unlike many small Saabs of before - a hatch like the MAXX, but based on the shorter wheelbase of the sedan, and with the Pontiac G6 Coupe's 2 door setup?

Or how about a Buick Roadmaster? A Buick-fied version of the MAXX with the 3.9L from the G6 GT as standard for V8 like power, but don't offer Buick a version of the Malibu Sedan?

Rex Raider's concept:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Apr 16 2004, 02:26 PM
nobody should offer the maxx... what the heck is it anyway.  It isn't a wagon, isn't a sedan, just fugly.
it's a hatchback, so you're right, not a sedan or wagon :p

Anyway, I happen to like it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Not a Maxx duplicate, but deffinatly a hatchback for Pontiac.
Saab's got the 9-2x, and thats a negitive for Buick.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If Pontiac needs a hatchback, make a Solstice coupe w/ a hatchback, as long as it doesn't have proportions like a civic si. I think a Grand Prix hatch could look nice so long as its done right.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
NO MAXX REPLICA! But, if they brought over the Opel version as a Saturn, then I'd highly consider.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Saab should definitely have one.

BTW, does anyone else find it odd that Saab, which has a long history of selling five-door hatchbacks, doesn't have an Epsilon hatch off the bat, while Chevy, which hasn't one since the Corsica (and the Chevette and Citation before that), got one soon after the Malibu's intro?

I'm not sure what GM's marketers are thinking there. Seems to me that selling the hatch to Chevy buyers is going to be an uphill battle, while a Saab hatch would have buyers waiting at the door. Plus the Saab name is bound to generate a higher-margin product. I understand the knock that hatches aren't premium, but still.... That's what Saab's name is built on.

And again, I don't understand the knock on the Civic Si. :argue: If Pontiac sold a two-door Vibe, it would look a lot like it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Apr 17 2004, 01:46 AM
NO MAXX REPLICA! But, if they brought over the Opel version as a Saturn, then I'd highly consider.
I 2nd the OPEL Signum should cross the Atlantic as a Saturn.....

Ken

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
3rd the Opel idea for Saturn.
and ill say it again, Saab has a hatchback.
and chevy needs a hatchback... the RWD, V8, 6spd, kinda one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I imagine the pontiac version would have more attractive styling than the malibu, so yes, of course they should build it. Give it some performance tweaks and it could compete against the likes of volvo and bmw sport wagons.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i'd buy a pontiac maxx-type vehicle if it looked like the G6! after 2 years with the vibe i'd have a tough time doing without the utility of the hatch. i'd actually be inclined to get a maxx next, but would rather stay pontiac. and i won't wanna fork over extra for the saab face, so for me pontiac is the best spot for a maxx sister.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
SAAB = Hatch. Saab needs a VERSION of the Maxx, not a re-badge, a 9-3 Hatch is neded to attract loyalists, not a re-badged impreza!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Apr 21 2004, 02:09 PM
SAAB = Hatch.
that said, there are currently no saabs then! within a year there'll be 1 by your definition... but it's the 9-2x! i think the current saab sedans (and wagon and convertible) are decidedly saab. i don't mind the 9-2x, but won't buy one. i'd really consider the new version that'll come out in a few years though.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would rather buy a 9-3 hatch than a 9-3 sedan.

And a coupe with a hatch would be very cool. I miss those - from all divisions.

GM has the hatch right there on the MAXX - now they just need to share. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts