GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't posted anything car related in a while, but recently this has come up. My mom only works from September to June, because of the NHL. So in the Summer she has like next to no money.

Apparently gas prices are going to go up again, and she already is paying a LOT for gas. Her Jeep gets about 19 MPG, imperial, which is like 16 I think in US gallons. She struggled though last summer, and spent everything she saved up on gas pretty much.

So, the Jeep has around 50,000 KM on it now, and before its resale goes down, do you guys think she should trade it in for something more fuel efficient, and possibly cheaper?

It has to have enough room for driving kids (I shouldn't say kids, some of my friends are about 6'5" and 200+ lbs.) to like Hockey and Rugby. And it has to be somewhat cool, and not soccer mom ish.

She actually loves her Jeep, and nothings gone wrong with it, and shes abused it off road lol, but gas is insane and its about $80 to fill it up, and that lasts around 4 days.

I was thinking something at least mid-sized.

So something Under $30,000 Canadian, not any more.

I was thinking of:
- Saturn Aura
- New Malibu
- Ford Fusion

Anything else you guys think of, she doesn't really care if its import or not, but I do. And no Hyundai's or Kia's, thats about the last thing she will drive.

EDIT: For anyone who doesnt know:
Its a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
A few questions: How many miles does she drive a year? Does she drive more locally or on the highway? Does she still owe money on the Jeep? Would it make sense to spend thousands on a new car only to save perhaps $1,000 a year? Can she recoup enough money by selling the Jeep to make buying a new car financially feasible?

These are questions I had to answer for myself when I replaced my GTO as a daily driver. I ended up saving over $3,000 a year because I drive long distances every day.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
A few questions: How many miles does she drive a year? Does she drive more locally or on the highway? Does she still owe money on the Jeep? Would it make sense to spend thousands on a new car only to save perhaps $1,000 a year? Can she recoup enough money by selling the Jeep to make buying a new car financially feasible?

These are questions I had to answer for myself when I replaced my GTO as a daily driver. I ended up saving over $3,000 a year because I drive long distances every day.
I think their Jeep is still fairly new..

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I almost want to buy her a Prius just so I can envision you in it! I'd love to see your face when all those immature pimple poppers drive by and give you the finger for riding in a Toyota.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

If she is that tight financially, I'd get rid of it. A Mazda6 would be a good option too. Would she consider used?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
She should keep the Jeep and sell her son.

Atomicshark is right... she has to be sure to properly calculate it... if she loses too much in trading the Jeep any fuel economy gains will be offset, and it might not actually save her much money anytime soon.

Though an HHR might be cool.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
How much does she drive a year again? If she still wants off road capability perhaps a Patriot would suit her

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Based on the information, I would say HHR or Impala, but I think there are more variables than you are listing.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
my god I can't believe I just suggested the Patriot. Unless you need low range, get a Forester

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

She drives around 25,000 miles a year. She drives a lot. Mostly in town, ide say 60-65% city driving.

An 08 Malibu with the 2.4L would save her $3200 a year IIRC. I was comparing last night.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would say an Uplander, not because they're good but because you can get a new RWB for $19,000 Cdn or a EWB for $26,000. But minivans might still have the soccer/hockey mom stigma, although, I'm sure there are way more moms driving SUVs now. I don't know what kind of jeep it is so i don't want to suggest anything that might have the same or worst milege. I bet the Malibu Maxx would have been perfect. Other choices would be the baby Jeeps, ie. the Compass and Patriot or the Dodge Caliber. Or the Suzuki Grand Vitara or XL-7 or one of GMs Thetas (Equinox/Torrent). There are plenty of choices out there really.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would say an Uplander, not because they're good but because you can get a new RWB for $19,000 Cdn or a EWB for $26,000. But minivans might still have the soccer/hockey mom stigma, although, I'm sure there are way more moms driving SUVs now. I don't know what kind of jeep it is so i don't want to suggest anything that might have the same or worst milege. I bet the Malibu Maxx would have been perfect. Other choices would be the baby Jeeps, ie. the Compass and Patriot or the Dodge Caliber. Or the Suzuki Grand Vitara or XL-7 or one of GMs Thetas (Equinox/Torrent). There are plenty of choices out there really.
She wont even look at a minivan.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.