GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently looking to overhaul the headlights or bulbs on my ATS. The halogens are absolute garbage and it's becoming a real nuisance driving at night. I'm leaning on upgrading my bulbs rather than a retrofit simply to avoid spending $1000.

But now im very torn between xenons and leds. I was leaning on leds since htey last longer and are generally brighter but after doing some research apparently leds are not great in project headlights (source)

If you guys have recommendations for which i should go for or product recommendations it would be great appreciated. Looking to spend no more than $2-300

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have no personal experience on the LED vs Xenons...if anything I'd look on an ATS forum and see the input from actual ATS owners who may have done this mod before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im currently looking to overhaul the headlights or bulbs on my ATS. The halogens are absolute garbage and it's becoming a real nuisance driving at night. I'm leaning on upgrading my bulbs rather than a retrofit simply to avoid spending $1000.

But now im very torn between xenons and leds. I was leaning on leds since htey last longer and are generally brighter but after doing some research apparently leds are not great in project headlights (source)

If you guys have recommendations for which i should go for or product recommendations it would be great appreciated. Looking to spend no more than $2-300

You can get a nice HID kit on Amazon for about $100. Very easy to do/install. Make sure you get a bulb temp of around 5000k - 5500k, perfect white light!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have used V-LEDS bulbs VLEDS | Automotive LED Lighting , i would avoid any of the brands you can buy on amazon or ebay as they are cheap china junk for the most part. Vleds are an american company, spend the extra and get a quality bulb either ameircans or japanese product imo. You will still find the lighting spread to be not all that great since your vehicle just wasn't made to work with a quality high output bulb and beam sporead will suffer. If you don't even have a projector lens while you can use these bulbs, you will essentially be blinding all oncoming traffic with them installed.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts

I put LED bulbs in my '13 ATS and was disappointed, it was a little better, but not worth the money. Not only were the LED bulbs expensive, but they were advertised as easily fitting the connections. Thinking it would be no big deal, I gave the bulbs to my dealer to install. They called me up and said "all set! $400" I said "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT"? Their response was that the bulbs did indeed easily plug into the existing connections, however, they didn't easily fit into the projector assembly and took them several hours.

So, from past experience, find out how much work is involved before doing anything.

I don't recall the brand I purchased from Carid.

Cost me over $500 to get a small improvement. Wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You asked for opinions . Dont bother would be my advice. Not worth the troubler the expense

·
Registered
856 Posts
You asked for opinions . Dont bother would be my advice. Not worth the troubler the expense
No i would say it's worth the 130 i paid for the bulbs, while not as good as a setup that already comes with a higher output bulb. The color difference and whiter light is a huge help with lighting up highway signs at night, no car, not even the lowest buck models should come with regular bulbs these days imo! I have had my vleds now for around 4 years, like i said though avoid at all cost cheap china made crap, that is essentially everything on ebay or amazon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts