GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today, an acquaintance gets hold of me (she thinks I know stuff about cars...shows what SHE knows) and asks what I think her Mom's 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE is worth. She says it's over in the White Spot parking lot if I want to see it.

We wander over, and there is a dirty (but the body and paint are VERY good...no dents, just faded bumper rubber and the like) but very servicable 1991 Bonnie. Inside is in good shape, just needs a shampoo. Odo reads 135,000 km. That's right, 82,000 miles or thereabouts.

She flashes it up, and I open the hood. and the venerable 3.8 is there, once again dirty, but no lifrer noise, no misses, no misbehaviour whatsoever.

She asks me if she could get $1500 for it, her Mom can't drive anymore (licence lifted, she can't see). She says it's too big for her, she would rather have something like a Cobalt, but the Chevy dealer here (Surprise surprise) won't give her what she wants on a trade. (For the record, knowing her, she probably expects too much for it. )

So she wants to make a cash/no trade deal with the Chevy dealer on a Cobalt or an Aveo, and sell the Bonnie privately.

I haven't had the car checked by a mechanic, but of course I would if I decide to be silly and check further into this. And for $1500, I could likely sell it again at a small profit or loss if I need to get shed of it.

I need another car like I need t-rex kicking me in the genitals, but should I do this, just for poop and giggles? Cars are soooo fun, even when you don't need another one...

Bad Camera phone pic (yes, those are CAA stickers on the bumper..UGH):

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yes!!!!! If you weren't so darn far away...I'd give her $1500 for it!!!!
I was THINKING you might chime in here.

IF I do this, I might spend some $$ on it, and come see you and Cort with it next September. :D

I'm actually prepared to go $2,000, but that would be it I think.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do it. I know my parents had one when i was about 6 or 7,and i loved that car. I wish it was still with us.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only suggestion...the only negatives with this series FWD full size is that the fuel & brake lines with corrode away...so inspect them if you can...not likely in your area, as compared to here in WI where roadsalt is applied heavily...

Those cars got pretty good gas mileage as well, as I've experienced...comfortable too!
If it was parked within a block of the ocean, the same thing happens here. Salt air, and the puddles on the roads are salt water in the winter due to storms.

Thanks for the heads up. Expensive to swap brake and fuel lines?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Well, in the shape it's in, you can't really go wrong at that price.

It won't depreciate much further so you can just buy and enjoy. Probably a better investment than half the stocks out there nowadays.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, in the shape it's in, you can't really go wrong at that price.

It won't depreciate much further so you can just buy and enjoy. Probably a better investment than half the stocks out there nowadays.
Thanks, I was thinking the same.

Besides, it would just be a toy anyway. I guess the '85 Olds would have to go, there would just not be room for it here.

Gas is 1.299 per litre here today, or $5 US per gallon, and the Olds runs on 39.9 cents per litre propane ($1.54 per gallon) ; I've been using it the past couple of weeks for that reason.

What to do.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Pull the trigger and shoot to kill. I had one of these early 90s Bonnies and it was very reliable and comfortable. I bought it with 115,000 on it and sold it with 200,000. Last I saw, it had 230,000 on it and was still doing fine.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pull the trigger and shoot to kill. I had one of these early 90s Bonnies and it was very reliable and comfortable. I bought it with 115,00 on it and sold it with 200,000. Last I saw, it had 230,000 on it and was still doing fine.
Hmm..maybe I could just borrow your Hyundai instead?

I'll bring it back full. Promise. :p:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I say go for it at that price (after of course checking for all things mentioned). A solid deal for a low mileage car. One of my aunt and uncles had a '92 and loved it to death. Drove it everywhere, vacations, up to the cabin up north and a daily driver to and from work. When they sold it, I believe it was in the 150k mile range. Still a good car that gave them little to no problems.
And here's to your future purchase living more then a mile from the ocean. ;)

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Do you need another car? If you do, then you have a reason to buy it.

If you don't, then you will lose $1500 + state tax + DMV vehicle fee + insurance.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I can beat that easy.......1989 Bonneville SSE (or SSEi....can't tell) :D

It's only $900, but the thing is, it has over 200K on the odometer.........

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I need another car like I need t-rex kicking me in the genitals
Gasp! I told you, that wasn't a kick! I slipped on a banana peeling and....

:D

Here's an ice pack to cool down them taters...

Go for it, mariner! Those old Bonnies were some smooth-riding cars. $1500 (is that with Canadian monopoly money, or real dollars? :p:) sounds like a real bargain. The proverbial driven-only-on-Sunday-by-a-little-old-lady used car!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I say go for it...of course, I am partial to that body design of the Bonneville.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
In Montreal a car like that could be had for $750 or something like this... but for the same money you might end up with one not as clean.

I would imagine the main consideration is do you want to drive it? If you want to get a few years of driving out of the car, you could say it worth it. But if you give her $1 500 for it and try to sell it yourself, you aren't really going to profit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
35,892 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts