GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

By: Mike Schlee

There have been three times in my life that I almost bought a compact pickup truck.

With great utility, right-sized dimensions and livable fuel consumption, a small workhorse would be a perfect fit for my life. Without any toys to haul, a job in the trades industry or a large piece of rustic land to maintain, anything larger than a small pickup truck would be overkill. Especially considering I live in the suburbs of one of the largest cities in North America.

I do own a home, and with home ownership comes a multitude of tasks a small pickup truck is well suited for like moving furniture, hauling soil and of course obligatory trips to the dump. But I’m not a truck guy. And every time my thoughts turn towards truck ownership the same two questions arise. Can I live with the compromises pickup truck ownership comes with? Or have those compromises disappeared?

To find the answers, I arranged to spend some time behind the wheel of the new 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and 2015 GMC Canyon. There are two reasons why I chose these trucks. First, they are the newest entries into the smaller pickup truck market and by far the most contemporary. Second, General Motors designed them for a broad range of customers including people like me who have never owned a pickup. In fact, GM expects roughly 30 percent of all Canyon and Colorado buyers to come from other segments like crossovers and SUVs.
To read the complete review of the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
21,361 Posts
YES, buy one, maybe two or three even!

Found this interesting, I actually think it'll be a higher percentage than that.

In fact, GM expects roughly 30 percent of all Canyon and Colorado buyers to come from other segments like crossovers and SUVs.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Canyon/Colorado are really nice. Never been a truck person, but I have to admit that they've caught my eye.

Funny to hear some guys saying that they'd rather have a "real truck," as though these were something like the Chevy LUV. These are not small vehicles. "Mid-size" is a good term; "compact" as many say is totally inaccurate.

These trucks are more than big enough for the vast majority of non-work F-150, Ram, and Silverado buyers. And big enough for a lot of the work truck buyers too.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Canyon/Colorado are really nice. Never been a truck person, but I have to admit that they've caught my eye.

Funny to hear some guys saying that they'd rather have a "real truck," as though these were something like the Chevy LUV. These are not small vehicles. "Mid-size" is a good term; "compact" as many say is totally inaccurate.

These trucks are more than big enough for the vast majority of non-work F-150, Ram, and Silverado buyers. And big enough for a lot of the work truck buyers too.
Agreed. I looked up the dimensions. Up until the early 2000s, we had a full size Chevy pickup, lightly used but it was new from the early 1990s. It was 100% fine as a full sized truck. The new Colorado has very VERY similar dimensions (in many ways within 1 inch) of the dimensions of the Full size Chevy that worked so well for us until the early 2000s.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Agreed. I looked up the dimensions. Up until the early 2000s, we had a full size Chevy pickup, lightly used but it was new from the early 1990s. It was 100% fine as a full sized truck. The new Colorado has very VERY similar dimensions (in many ways within 1 inch) of the dimensions of the Full size Chevy that worked so well for us until the early 2000s.
Which is why someone needs to bring out a compact pickup like the Chevrolet Montana

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can not relate to this guy at all. I'd much rather drive a sports car daily as I use to, but grown up life and an active lifestyle has my truck bed full of items literally every day of my life. Dang thing is just a requirement.
The midsize trucks are simply the most practical vehicle overall for me. How anyone could ever have such a poor sense of their manhood that they essentially wanted to drive a poor handling box on wheels to look cool, I'll never comprehend. I think his money is better spent on therapy and testosterone shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts