GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Astro is going the way of the Dodo bird soon. Ever notice how many Astro cargo vans there are on the roads? What can replace them? A Colorado with a camper top won't cut it, and the Express van is too friggin' huge. I've suggested a CSV based cargo van before, and even a shortened and ever so slightly lowered Express van (diesel V6?), but what about using something entirely different?

I've noticed a couple of Mercedes-born Dodge Sprinter vans on the streets recently. The really tall vans with the funky Euro looks. How about GM fighting fire with fire?

What do you think? Could GM use small, inexpensive commercial-use trucks in the U.S.? This kind of delivery vehicle is popular all around the world (in particular in cities), why not here? They are really cheap, easy to park, powered by fuel efficient engines.
What say you?

GM Daewoo DamasII:

GM Daewoo Labo:

Dodge Sprinter Van:

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't think the Daewoo trucks are necessary here. GM knows trucks. I think that making PANEL versions of some of their SUVs would be a good idea.

Make a Suburban with fancy front 2 seats, and the back as unfinished as possible. Ditch the 3rd row of seats, and make the 2nd row fold flat or completely removable.
You could do the same with the Trailblazer and HHR.

Basically a Savana van with the look of an SUV.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may be a dumb question, but what is it about stubby, short overhang nosed vans that makes for good delivery trucks? Ease of parking only? Maneuverability?

There must be a reason vans are still in use, and a reason why I see the occasional vehicle low to the ground but using an Isuzu heavy duty truck with the flat face / no nose.

This is the only reason I doubt the Suburban idea would fill all needs. Also, isn't the Suburban itself something like 1000 pounds heavier than even a fully loaded Astro?

ah here:
Astro -
Curb Weight (Automatic Transmission) 4309

Suburban -
Curb Weight (Automatic Transmission) 5323

I don't know if weight is a big concern or not, though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i voted yes. i thought this was a joke thread :huh: :mf_boff:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just remembered this - a few months ago a local used car place was selling two identical ultra-mini trucks like Labo above. Probably even smaller. They couldn't have been longer than 6 feet or so. Wonder what they were... Bout 20 years old by the looks of them.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If Gm wants to replace the Astro, which still has a following, they should make a cargo TrailBlazer. To note the specs:

Astro Trailblazer
S10 Underpinnings Trailblazer/Colorado underpinnings
4.3L V6 from S10 4.2L I-6 or 3.5L I-5
Large cargo area Large cargo area (with only driver and passenger seats)
Low load floor Mid-level load floor
RWD or AWD opt RWD or 4WD opt
4500 lbs 5000 lbs

Its do-able, and I think GM would be able to carve out a nice niche (or fill the Astro's) without much investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts