GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was asked on another site, and the response amazed me. I wanted to see if this is the same for other sites.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
chevy needs an affordable sports car....chevelle or camaro should come back...preferably camaro...my generation has more of a connection with it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bring it back. Its my favorite car of all time, and a car I have a love affair with. Although I've never owned one, I drool at the thought of sliding into a 1st or 4th gen, firing up that motor, puttin that stick in first and droppin the clutch and roasting some tires.

If not bring back something to shut up the stanger's fan boi's who have no actualy clue on the history of the car but merely buy it as a status thing and their only claim to their car's greatness is that its still around.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Shadowfax@Mar 8 2004, 04:27 PM
If not bring back something to shut up the stanger's fan boi's who have no actualy clue on the history of the car but merely buy it as a status thing and their only claim to their car's greatness is that its still around.
i don't care either way. i wouldn't buy one, but can also see a use for it. but it'll need a definite direction if it comes back. are there enough people who'd plunk down the cash for it who DO have a clue about the history? my guess is it's an aging group that really cares about the history of the camaro... and GM wouldn't be smart to bring out a car who's only audience is a group that'll only get smaller and smaller as time goes on. at the same time, if they bring out a camaro that appeals to a younger crown weaned on VTEC honda's, they'll lose the original appeal of the camaro and its hugely passionate following. i wouldn't wanna be the one calling the shots on the next camaro! it's a daunting task!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bring it on!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Its true that a lot of people want cars to fit a status image, and that the diehard followers of several cars and etc are becoming quickly the smaller group this day and age. However not everyone is forgetting the history of their favorite cars.

Myself for an example. Im only 24 but Im well aware of the history of my favorite car and its company. Its due to what I know about this car is why I love it. If no one else wanted the thing and it was available, I'd buy it because I'd want based on what I know it represents.

My comment about the stang fan boys was based on my frustation with many Mustang owners of today. Mainly young kids with the v6 vanilla car who bought for no other purpose to say that they have a "Stang" and have no idea what the Mustang really represents in the muscle/pony car world.

Sadly, my gf falls in the category of that;I believe which kinda urks me to no end.

Ack the angst!!! :argue: :plasma:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The thing is it may be out of Chevy/GM's hands. If all these rumors about a major change in CAFE standards prove to be true, you may see a major slowdown in putting V-8's in any cars other than Caddys and Vettes. The other thing is the price of gas. Premium fuel was at $2.05 a gallon at the local gas station and it is not even spring yet. Who knows what it will be by summer. Also the green people are up in arms at GM. Last year it was Ford's turn. Hate to think it but big high performence engines may be on the way out. Get one while you can.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by Shadowfax@Mar 8 2004, 04:27 PM
Bring it back. Its my favorite car of all time, and a car I have a love affair with. Although I've never owned one, I drool at the thought of sliding into a 1st or 4th gen, firing up that motor, puttin that stick in first and droppin the clutch and roasting some tires.

I second that. There will never be a replacement for Camaro, Only another Camaro can replace it. BRING IT BACK!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Mar 8 2004, 11:23 PM
The thing is it may be out of Chevy/GM's hands. If all these rumors about a major change in CAFE standards prove to be true, you may see a major slowdown in putting V-8's in any cars other than Caddys and Vettes. The other thing is the price of gas. Premium fuel was at $2.05 a gallon at the local gas station and it is not even spring yet. Who knows what it will be by summer. Also the green people are up in arms at GM. Last year it was Ford's turn. Hate to think it but big high performence engines may be on the way out. Get one while you can.
CAFE/CARB/OPEC = steaming pile of donkey poop :p

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by thatoneguy@Mar 9 2004, 02:18 AM
It's gone, forever... sorry
:rolleyes: you should take a tour of this website. The GMI spies say different.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Mar 8 2004, 12:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Mar 8 2004, 12:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shadowfax@Mar 8 2004, 04:27 PM
i don't care either way. i wouldn't buy one, but can also see a use for it. but it'll need a definite direction if it comes back. are there enough people who'd plunk down the cash for it who DO have a clue about the history? my guess is it's an aging group that really cares about the history of the camaro... and GM wouldn't be smart to bring out a car who's only audience is a group that'll only get smaller and smaller as time goes on. at the same time, if they bring out a camaro that appeals to a younger crown weaned on VTEC honda's, they'll lose the original appeal of the camaro and its hugely passionate following. i wouldn't wanna be the one calling the shots on the next camaro! it's a daunting task! [/b][/quote]
So what kind of car do U prefer??...or R U 1 of those "TRUCK" guys.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
whoops

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Mar 8 2004, 12:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Mar 8 2004, 12:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shadowfax@Mar 8 2004, 04:27 PM
i don't care either way. i wouldn't buy one, but can also see a use for it. but it'll need a definite direction if it comes back. are there enough people who'd plunk down the cash for it who DO have a clue about the history? my guess is it's an aging group that really cares about the history of the camaro... and GM wouldn't be smart to bring out a car who's only audience is a group that'll only get smaller and smaller as time goes on. at the same time, if they bring out a camaro that appeals to a younger crown weaned on VTEC honda's, they'll lose the original appeal of the camaro and its hugely passionate following. i wouldn't wanna be the one calling the shots on the next camaro! it's a daunting task! [/b][/quote]
So what kind of car do U prefer??...or R U 1 of those "TRUCK" guys.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depends, if Gm is gonna do to it what they did to the Nova then no, let RIP. If they actually bring it back as a V8 powered, rwd coupe, then let them do it. It doesnt have to be practical, in my opinion f-body's were never practical. They were all about power, style and speed in a affordable package. Plus, maybe if it is brought back, the Firebird and TA will follow....well I can hope can't I? :) I'd like to see at least 1 F-body brought back.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
As I've posted before, the Camaro and Chevelle are classics, with their classic clientele.

Despite the huge recognition-factor of both nameplates, the experiences with the 2005 Mustang (looking -too much- like an Old Mustang), and the 2004 GTO (not looking -enough- like an Old GTO, should give Chevy and GM the foresight to create a new brand that is not limited in the perception of what it should be / needs to be based on a previous clientele.

The current Mustang is targeting the 2004 'Vette and M3, both of which have a more upscale brand image than the Camaro name, which is that of a dream graduation present, and a "poor-man's 'Vette" at best, and at worst, parked in the front yard of a trailer park.

I consider myself lucky to have enjoyed the last of the true muscle-cars, but, like that era, the Camaro name itself is an anachronism. The Camaro name would hurt a future Chevrolet performance coupe with its reputation as an unrefined, slapped-together monster, despite those of us who loved it for that very reason. The fact that not enough of bought them is enough of a message that the brand, like the Chevelle, should be retired as muscle-car classics.

As I've posted before, a newly-named RWD V-8 performance coupe from Chevrolet, exhibiting the best of Chevrolet, and not limited to what was best about the Camaro, could just as easily be a new classic, just as the 2004 GTO might have been under a different name.

Seriously, if you were offered a $25,000 Chevrolet Mustang GT beater, and you didn't already own an LT-1 or LS-1 Camaro, would you care about the badge on the fender? And wouldn't you rather GM be selling this coupe to potential '05 Mustang buyers, 350 Z buyers, and M3 buyers?

If you disagree, I'd sure love to read why.

Regards,

Your flat/green-headed friend,

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
750 Posts
If the Cafe group wants to get PO'ed at something why not try getting the truck/suv's to comply with the same regulations cars have to, the top three selling vehicles are trucks, there isnt a car untill 4th...Seems to me isntead of whining and bitching about the limited numbers of V8 cars, they should bitch and whine about the 400+ BAZILLION Suv's that are out there being used to do things that cars can do..

Oh and enough with this offroad crap, your not fooling anyone....lousy SUV owners.

Oh, and I say let it RIP, it's kinda like bringing back the Fiero, the name is just to tied to bad quality and good performance, which most consumers don't care about.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts