GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of you have noticed how Edge sales have fallen past the normal rate of decline the past few months. Of course the competition has gone up. But most of these now have I4s including the Highlander which just got ated at 27 mpg. So should Ford put in some type normal I4 in it? By normal I mean non-eb.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Yes. I think Ford and GM need to respond by offering 4 Cylinder engine in their crossovers.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Ford does not have an I4 capable enough to move the Edge.

This was considered before, but because of its curb weight, it was turned down. That was also the reason why the Edge was canceled from rollout in Europe - EU wanted the car very badly, as mid-size crossover/SUV cars have become very profitable (albeit low volume) sellers. However with no diesel and no I4, the Edge was a no-go for EU.

The plan is to make the next Edge (on EUCD/EUCD2) significantly lighter so it can be moved by an I4.

THAT SAID

have you all caught the tidbit about a 2.7l V6 built from the 3.5l? Ward's reported it today - that engine should have aty least 200hp (just taking a ratio of hp/l) so that would be a more economical engine for the Edge - it being a V6 - it should develop torque faster than an I4 .. so it should have easier time taking Edge from standstill...

Igor

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ford does not have an I4 capable enough to move the Edge.

This was considered before, but because of its curb weight, it was turned down. That was also the reason why the Edge was canceled from rollout in Europe - EU wanted the car very badly, as mid-size crossover/SUV cars have become very profitable (albeit low volume) sellers. However with no diesel and no I4, the Edge was a no-go for EU.

The plan is to make the next Edge (on EUCD/EUCD2) significantly lighter so it can be moved by an I4.

THAT SAID

have you all caught the tidbit about a 2.7l V6 built from the 3.5l? Ward's reported it today - that engine should have aty least 200hp (just taking a ratio of hp/l) so that would be a more economical engine for the Edge - it being a V6 - it should develop torque faster than an I4 .. so it should have easier time taking Edge from standstill...

Igor
A 2.7 V6, when launched?!

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Ford just mentioned it today - they are evaluating it as an alterntive to some I4 EB applications - probably will be cheaper to build/sell than an EB .. and a small V6 like that could actually get some nice MPG numbers ...

it was not confirmed yet - and i do not have inside info .. so this is all I know for now.

Igor

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
If they do offer an I4 then that would be something however the porky curb weight of the edge will be a challenge if ford decides to try and put an I4 under the hood

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep, a 2.7L would be a low cost alternative to the I4 EB. Most of you have forgotten that the 3.0L Duratec had a little brother, the D2.5L which was used in the Contour. It did real well in that car. A 2.7L would of course share all of the 3.5L cost advantages (mainly DAMB).

There might even be a slot for a 2.7L EB !

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I thought ford had a new 2.5L I4 that made really good power... the exact numbers are esacping me right now but i thought it was really decent

even that couldnt move the Edge? that thing must be alot porkier than it looks

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I thought ford had a new 2.5L I4 that made really good power... the exact numbers are esacping me right now but i thought it was really decent

even that couldnt move the Edge? that thing must be alot porkier than it looks
No way the 2.5L could move the Edge. It would be worse than the 4-cylinder Vue. Edge/MKX are portly little things.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah i just checked the curb weight on those. didnt think they weighed that much...

what about the 3L V6 from the new fusion? That should be able to move it decently well and improve FE, right?

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
And so is the Flex !

Ford still has not learned how build a loght car, let alone CUV !
The Flex FWD is 4470 pounds, which is pretty competitive with the competing crossover SUVs that are about the same size.

The Edge is much smaller than the Flex, so the fact that the FWD version is 4080 pounds is in my view far more unusual than the weight of the Flex.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah we can all agree the Edge could be lighter, and I dont understand how Ford added all that weight. It shouldnt weight much more than a Fusion, it should really be a tall Fusion wagon in a way.

The next gen will be the same as the EUCD Fusion as a complement vehicle.

I wonder how much the new Venza weights? it has a 2.7L 4 that makes 180 hp. Edmunds said its actually quite peppy which probably means they either have a bias or the Venza actually dosent weight too much.

Also remember in this 5 seat crossover segment, the Venza and then the new Nox will be the only with a base 4 cylinder engine. in GMs case a DI version.

Murano, Edge, and others are fine with just a V6

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah we can all agree the Edge could be lighter, and I dont understand how Ford added all that weight. It shouldnt weight much more than a Fusion, it should really be a tall Fusion wagon in a way.

The next gen will be the same as the EUCD Fusion as a complement vehicle.

I wonder how much the new Venza weights? it has a 2.7L 4 that makes 180 hp. Edmunds said its actually quite peppy which probably means they either have a bias or the Venza actually dosent weight too much.

Also remember in this 5 seat crossover segment, the Venza and then the new Nox will be the only with a base 4 cylinder engine. in GMs case a DI version.

Murano, Edge, and others are fine with just a V6
The cd3 is really heavy to begin with.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts