GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Online service marks first anniversary; now available in all 50 U.S. states.
[URL="http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Nov/1110-shop-click-drive.html]GM[/URL]
November 10, 2014

DETROIT – Shop-Click-Drive, the online shopping tool that enables Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac dealers to combine the convenience of the Internet with personal customer service, is now offered by 1,665 U.S. dealers in all 50 states one year after its national debut.

Consumers have purchased or leased more than 13,000 new vehicles to date using Shop-Click-Drive, which lets them choose a specific vehicle, get estimated pricing, review available incentives, learn about financing and insurance products, get information about their trade-in and apply for financing, all online.

“Shop-Click-Drive made shopping for a car simple and straightforward,” said Enrique Lopez, who purchased a 2013 Cadillac ATS. “I picked the car I liked, test drove it and walked out of the dealership satisfied.”

Shop-Click-Drive provided participating General Motors dealers with more than 85,000 sales leads for new and used vehicles in its first year with an average sold and delivered rate of 30 percent, according to James Bement, manager of the Shop-Click-Drive program.

“This was an easy, painless process that saved me time and hassle,” said Timothy Sandifer, who purchased a 2015 GMC Yukon. “The dealer delivered my vehicle to my home – which is 160 miles from the dealership -- and did the paperwork in my kitchen.”

Bement said 49 percent of the trade-ins estimated through Shop-Click-Drive have been non-GM brands or discontinued GM brands. The service is most popular in the metropolitan Detroit, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New York City and Chicago markets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shop-Click-Drive doesn't really sell any vehicles. I was at one of the 5 pilot stores for S-C-D when it first came out and the past year at a top 20 volume Chevy Store. It is just another lead source from the website. In the 2+ years that I have been part of S-C-D I only know of 3-4 that actually did the entire purchase online and didn't come to the dealership. Customers use the tool to start the shopping process, submit their lead the S-C-D, then come to the store to test drive, get payments, etc. Rarely do the customers actually buy what they originally submitted through S-C-D. It has not changed the way customers buy vehicles at all.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shop-Click-Drive doesn't really sell any vehicles. I was at one of the 5 pilot stores for S-C-D when it first came out and the past year at a top 20 volume Chevy Store. It is just another lead source from the website. In the 2+ years that I have been part of S-C-D I only know of 3-4 that actually did the entire purchase online and didn't come to the dealership. Customers use the tool to start the shopping process, submit their lead the S-C-D, then come to the store to test drive, get payments, etc. Rarely do the customers actually buy what they originally submitted through S-C-D. It has not changed the way customers buy vehicles at all.
Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
anything that "connects" a buyer with a car/truck helps in a sale even if it is no more then an appointment to check out the car that want

·
Registered
38 Posts
This program will go nowhere. The real problem is a large number of the dealers do not (although they can) have the window sticker available online. As you go through many of the descriptions of vehicles in dealer inventory you see pictures of black vehicles where the description says Diamond White. The Mechanical section says 6-speed trans, the options says 8-speed. In other words, the product descriptions are incomplete and in many cases contradictory. Until such time as the dealer's product descriptions become complete and accurate, S-C-D is going to be a bust. To say it has sold 13,000 new cars is silly. Arlington is producing 1,100+ Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades per day. 13,000 across all dealers, brands, models and trims is a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This program will go nowhere. The real problem is a large number of the dealers do not (although they can) have the window sticker available online. As you go through many of the descriptions of vehicles in dealer inventory you see pictures of black vehicles where the description says Diamond White. The Mechanical section says 6-speed trans, the options says 8-speed. In other words, the product descriptions are incomplete and in many cases contradictory. Until such time as the dealer's product descriptions become complete and accurate, S-C-D is going to be a bust. To say it has sold 13,000 new cars is silly. Arlington is producing 1,100+ Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades per day. 13,000 across all dealers, brands, models and trims is a drop in the bucket.
Disagree, the true purpose is to repackage the online shopping experience. When GM first started with the internet, None of us would generate the incredible volumn of leads it does now. Websites do not sell cars. It's never the website that sells the car, it's how a staff deals with the person who made the inquiry that sells cars. Once the lead comes in it is your job to get an appointment so you can show the customer why they should buy from YOU.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
We the dealers do not post the sticker online. Gm's company posts that info. I have issues with it because our dealership has no electronic inventory control so i spend hours posting every vehicle and the system still has me put in all the individual options even though it has the vin number.

·
Registered
21,315 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen some of the larger GM dealers with PDF's of the window stickers (both the text version and/or actual sticker). The difference however appears to be that those dealers have their own website development team and are not using the default from GM (or their vendor...perhaps dealerscope or ADP). It is these default sites where you find horrible inconsistent, contradictory, and/or incomplete data on vehicles in inventory. (Example...several, under "Mechanical" list 6-speed transmission. Under "Options" or "Features" it will say "8-speed". Which is correct is hard to say; but, it does look like the "features" and "options" pages are edited or created by the dealer...some even look 'cut and paste' from some other internal source.). Broken? Yup! Where GM is screwing the pooch, is they are ignoring what this does to their brand. You can build the world's best car but if your website is broken, if customer service puts out incorrect information, if your user manual has grammar errors, or if your tablet App has spelling errors, grammar errors, buttons that don't work, navigation that is both inconsistent and different from the standard UI, all of that reflects back to the brand and the impression of quality in the products. Bad, bad, bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are correct, but the closing % of S-C-D leads is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than other lead submissions from the website. We closed about 7% of the S-C-D leads (if we got 100 S-C-D leads, we would sell 7) vs 15% for other lead submissions from our site (Get pre-approved, value your trade, ask a question, etc). What GM is trying to say is that 13,000 people bought a car using S-C-D, but that just isn't a true statement. It may have generated leads that eventually lead to 13,000 sales, but S-C-D really isn't selling any vehicles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.