GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In laying my hands on a high-mileage beater ('92 Buick Park Avenue), it's a foregone conclusion that certain things will probably have to be replaced sometime.....

Now when it comes time for service to be done....I'd want to take it to this dealer where I have a trusted old High School buddy of mine working in the shop.....only thing is, it's a Chevrolet dealer. I know it sounds like a stupid question kind of......but would there be any issues with doing that (taking a Buick to a Chevrolet shop), esp. if a complicated job needs to be done??

*(My dad's gotten burned at a few garages around here, so given that, my first inclination would be to put my ride in the hands of a trusted pal who works at an actual GM place....who wouldn't burn me)*

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i'd take it to your buddy. you can trust him and he's gm trained. how can u lose??

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet......as I said, it sounded like kind of a stupid question....but there hasn't been a GM car in our driveway for ages.....:(

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Same ****, different pile :yup:

They all have the same training. Can't your buddy do most of it on the side and save you a boat load of money? He'd make out pretty good too. There might be some stuff he can't do in his driveway, but for everything else, why not?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same ****, different pile :yup:

They all have the same training. Can't your buddy do most of it on the side and save you a boat load of money? He'd make out pretty good too. There might be some stuff he can't do in his driveway, but for everything else, why not?
I hit him up for a pricing quote on replacing shocks & brakes and once he gets back to me, I'll ask him about that ;)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
well, being a dealer tech, if i were in his shoes, he probably doesnt want to see that come in. i know i wouldnt. i dont like working on older cars, and certainly not older buicks. but then again, thats me. i dont know what he likes, i pretty much take whatever comes in the door, not by choice, but i dont mind it, i just dont like doing them as much as new cars. maybe hes the other way around, it depends on the age of the guy. younger people like myself, i dont know alot about older cars, but then again alot of the older guys dont know alot about the newer stuff.

but regardless, if you have him do it or someone else, i would certainly take it to a GM dealer. you will probably have a better success rate at a buick dealer. just because that is what they primarily work on. so they will know the tricks, and what are common failures, etc.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
well, being a dealer tech, if i were in his shoes, he probably doesnt want to see that come in. i know i wouldnt. i dont like working on older cars, and certainly not older buicks. but then again, thats me. i dont know what he likes, i pretty much take whatever comes in the door, not by choice, but i dont mind it, i just dont like doing them as much as new cars. maybe hes the other way around, it depends on the age of the guy. younger people like myself, i dont know alot about older cars, but then again alot of the older guys dont know alot about the newer stuff.

but regardless, if you have him do it or someone else, i would certainly take it to a GM dealer. you will probably have a better success rate at a buick dealer. just because that is what they primarily work on. so they will know the tricks, and what are common failures, etc.....
I highly agree. I hate working on old stuff and vehicles I'm not so familiar with. The only disadvantage I can think of is if he needs a GM specialty tool to work on it with. We do not have the same J-tools say a Buick or Pontiac dealer would unless the parts are the same on the component being worked on. I especially hate getting Sabb or Saturn vehicles as we have NOTHING for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts