GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Monte Carlo 12,500 3.5 V-6 dealer replaced both parts @ 8,000 miles and now that are making noise again with movement of steering wheel during a non-moving turn of the wheel. Common issue? Last time they held the car for 2 full days and needed GM approval to use chassis ears.

These parts should last the longer than 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a chriping noise while standing still turning the wheel and the rpms will dip about 200-300 rpms. Not the intermdiate shaft although I have begun to hear that knock noise from the steering column.
We the dealer replace the belt and tensioner it did go away for abit but has come back. If I turn on the A/C it will not do it. Sounds like the belt is Stretching all has too much slack. I have checked the tensioner once and it looks good. It will occur during a slow parking manuever but does not occur every time.

Wife's malibu at times will have the same serpentine chirping noise but that has 50K miles and the belt should be replaced along with the tension in the Spring.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question is the pulley from the Alternator and the tensioner supposed to line up perfectly? Using a straight edge they appear to off by 1/8 of an inch. Engine is a 3.5 V-6

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
new one on me....

something else making noise? Alternator, PS pump, Coolant pump?
That's exactly what I was thinking... It's probably something else making the noise. I've never had a Timing Belt Tensioner go out on me in either 5,000 or even 10,000 miles although it may be possible. It might be either his Power Steering Pump, a leaking Steering Shaft seal or some other pulley or part that moves when the Serpentine belt rolls. That's about all that comes to my mind..... I've heard cars that make from a slight hissing or grinding all the way to a loud whining sound when turning the steering wheel or whatever. On one of the cars I looked at, the lower steering shaft oil seal had a real slow leak and I flushed and drained the steering system and filled it back up with Lucas Oil Products Steering Fluid Stop Leak and the noise never came back since. :) There may be a small chance that TRWRacing's Chevy Monte Carlo has the same problem? Remember I said slight chance....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My parents have an 07 Impala with the same 3.5 engine. I was going to take a look at their pulley alignment and then consult my dealer.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
as far as im concerned its normal, i say this because every single impala or monet carlo i have driven with a 3.5 or 3.9 does it. so its a normal condition, and i know exactly what your talking about. always full lock turns, and sitting still or just barely moving. sounds like a belt chirp.

its normal man, dont waste your time. you can throw everything at it, and it wont fix it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as far as im concerned its normal, i say this because every single impala or monet carlo i have driven with a 3.5 or 3.9 does it. so its a normal condition, and i know exactly what your talking about. always full lock turns, and sitting still or just barely moving. sounds like a belt chirp.

its normal man, dont waste your time. you can throw everything at it, and it wont fix it.
At least I now know that this occurs on other models. Mine happens before a full lock turn but barely moving such as parking maneuver, but at least I know that other models have the same issue. Must be a poor design.

Thanks for the reply Triple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have a 2001 malibu
After looking at my belt alignment and replacing everything except the alternator. The bottom crankshaft pully looks like its not aligned with everything else. The bottom pully causes the belt to run on the very edge of the idler pully. Im very ????
Anybody else exp. a problem like this?
Any info as to why & how to fix

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
well, if the crankshaft pulley has moved, then you need to reseat it, and make sure the bolt is good and tight, and torqued properly. may even need to have a new crankshaft pulley/balancer. could become a real issue, especially if it turns out to be like the 3.5 liter engines with the recall. we had one come in that supposedly had the recall done to retighten the crankshaft pulley, and apparently never got done, so it destroyed the engine. amazing how such a small item can destroy an entire engine.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Do you think that this could be the problem Im having. Do I need to get a tool that presses the pully back on or will tighten the bolt do it. Will the threads be backwards?
You have to either have it checked by a mechanic or if your mechanically inclined you can check it for yourself. It is however highly possible that Triple-X08 is correct.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
depends on what way it is off aligned. if it is pushed in too far, then you need a puller, if it is too far away from the engine, like if it walked out away from it, then you need to tighten it down. tightening it should take care of it, shouldnt need to be pressed on. the bolt will take care of it. and no its not reverse threads, righty tighty lefty loosy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a lot better luck using cogged belts like Goodyear's Gatorback Belts or the Poly-Cog belt from Dayco.

NAPA's best belts (made by Gates) failed within a month with squeals - the cogged belts last almost 7 years before the tensioner started tapping on it's stop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.