GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have a couple of questions im not real hip on the gm thing im more of a *** guy but my boss has a 99 GTP and he and i have done several mods to it 3.4 pulley, K&N CAI, ZZP ECU,etc. Anyway he was crusin home and the motor stared knockin, but i didnt get hear it to see if its a wrist pin or rod or what the deal is but we have a 2005 GT that has a cracked trans case and i need to know if we can swap the series II for the series III and switch the SC etc. does the wiring harness match?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'm no expert, but I believe you are saying that he wants the Series III into the '98 GTP. If thats the case, it may be more work than its worth, and a slightly used Series II should be much easier to transfer into the GTP. I think that between the new emissions on the III, it would be more than just a swap and drive, it would probably involve all sorts of unmentioned cost that probably wouldn't be worth it in the long run. Plus, I don't think that the III sounds as good as the II, another thing to consider. I hope I helped, and was talking about the same thing you were asking about.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
you want the Gen V M90 on the L32 though...:D. Most of the L32's 20 hp increase is because of it

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ha! Is it a surprise with a 3.4'' on stock manifolds? You can't run that much boost on stock manifolds. There is wayyy tooo much knock!!! It puts a lot of stress on the valvetrain, especially the rods.

Get that pulley off of there, or get a set of pacesetters on the cheap.

As for the swap, why would you go to all that trouble. If the engines really screwed, get an L67 or L36 block and throw the GenV M90 on there. Just don't touch the pulley size unless he plans on putting on headers or ported manifolds.

Has he had the car scanned before? Theres probably a good 4-6* of knock retard, and if hes running low octane fuel, hes almost for sure done some serious damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i found out that we are just going to do a short block swap so the wiring wont be necessary and it has ZZ performance moded pacesetter headers and he run U4-2 112 octane so i dont think thats the problem and we are going to use the heads off of the Series II motorand the machined intake with intercooler is on its way from ZZ performance i dont think its going to be that much trouble now that i know whats going on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've scannned the car with my pro scan plus and it doesnt show anything in the datastream and it hasent thrown any codes im pretty sure it has bent a rod another question, is the seriesIII short block identical to the seriesII

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing; i contacted the peeps @ ZZ Performance today while @ work and found out that thier cars that run low 10's/high 9's have had this shortblock swap bc its such a better bottom end than the series II so if anyone could think of anything that would make project any easier let me know!!! Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.