GM Inside News Forum banner

Semi confirmed news on next gen 2014 trucks

277K views 2K replies 157 participants last post by  Abraham5G 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's some tid bits for ya, mostly good news. (I won't reveal my source or any specific info that would damage GM's competetive stance):

2014 trucks (release first quarter 2013)
New non-turbo V6 across the board (likely LFX), around 315 Hp
6 speed auto across the board, inc reg cabs, V6, etc
This will give class leading MPG..... (25+mpg??? Hint Hint)
4.8 liter a goner
Gen V V8's: 5.3 liter, 350hp, more efficiency (DI, gears, etc)
optional 6.2 liter, 425hp
*E-assist coming to trucks*
The best part: the Sierra looks PHENOMINAL and will blow people away, and doesnt look like a chevy, which will be the more "work truck" kinda feel and more "vanilla". Sorry Chevy guys. GM is aiming to increase GMC sales ALOT. Yukon/Tahoe is said to look several generations ahead of the current ones. Will also blow away competition.

Only thing I'm dissapointed with about the news is the low HP figure for the 5.3 liter. It needs to match the Ford 5.0.

*Please keep in mind this post is from 09-29-2011! Some of the insider source information has changed/been updated as GM has continued the development of the finalized truck. There is over 100+ pages of discussion for you to enjoy :)

See less See more
#672 ·
Did the GMT-900 switch to rear drum? My GMT-800 had rear discs.

#679 ·
All of you above who are misinformed on the equipment available on the current GM trucks... Please go here and read up.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/
There are many posts that have wrong information.
I have also heard that aluminum will be used to lower the weight.
Could you set us right on the latest information available that you can tell us about the GenV V8s? Thanks in advance!

#695 ·
"A" 4.3....interesting to see the overall changes: all brand new? DI? Etc.? We're in limbo here on everything. GM's working hard to get rid of the '12s, now with '13s are on the lots, but you can't build one on web. '13 supposed to be quick "stock up to get through" to '14s which are now delayed even further. As someone who's very close to buying this makes things tougher. Whatever happens w/the switch from 900's to K2's, I just hope they get it right...

#698 ·
Something to keep in mind is that the 4.3 V6 was based on the traditional small block Chevy, and never received the LSx upgrades. So this new engine will not only benefit from a new architecture but it could very well feature VVT, and DI.

#709 ·
The high feature V6 reportedly only goes to 4.0l so this is probably a gen 5 LS(assuming GM stays with the LS family) with 2 cylinders lopped off.
If that is what it is, it wll certainly have a low end tq advantage over the 3.7 ford and 3.6 Chrysler.
Doubt it will be super smooth though.

#722 ·
I had a '93 Sonoma with a Frankenstein 4.3L, and it had balance shafts. While investigating the engine debacle, I was told that the old 4.3L got balance shafts in '96.

#720 ·
A Gen V V8 derived 4.3 V6 would not share anything with the current 4.3 aside from displacement. This engine is not an LFX variant because as has been aforementioned it can only attain a displacement of 4.0 liters.

#721 ·
And it won't share any of the bores and strokes from the Gen V V8's.

#724 ·
Would be an even shorter stroke than it already is which means different block dimensions.

#726 ·
Dodge has a pretting interesting setup with the new Pentastar, but reviews seem to be a bit worried on towing especially w/8-speed...which, admittedly, many don't get close to ever doing and real towing. I can't wait to see the numbers the new 4.3 puts down, but the competition is walking all over GM on interior, tech features inside, and variations. The air suspension is one that can go either way. My experience(Porsche Cayennes) is that they were fun to play with and most used them for the highway handling/economy advantages. Trucks could better use for off-road vs. on applications as I only had one person ever take their Cayenne(Turbo of all things!) off-roading regularly. Can't wait to see the take rate on that option. GM....have those '14s ready yet? We're getting beat like the '08 Lions here!

#727 ·
The Pentastar in practice is a relatively peaky engine but some is masked by the inherent gearing advantages of the 8 speed auto. GM needs to get the 8 speed automatic in development done post haste if it plans to take the fight to Ford, and Dodge.

#735 ·
yeah...i remember about one year ago (or even more) when there was some talk about the gen V. It was said it will be better than most of the V8 engines on market.
I remember when LS7 was coming and couple of monts before introduction there was still talk of being a 3 valve heads, direct injection etc. Even now there are still talk of Gen V having 5.5 l displacement etc. (and we are couple of months from introduction...i'm assuming it will be introduce in NAIAS?)

#736 ·
I have read that the new engine starts production in February 2013, which makes it in time for the new Corvette and trucks, and could be in time for the SS, but that may wait for an mce or moving production of the SS to NA.
So production could easily begin within 6 months, yet so much secrecy. Nsap, BigAl, what's the story if you know it?

#755 ·
DI is just as effective if not more effective in a Gen V V8 vs a HF LFX V6 so I have no idea where that assertion came from.

#763 ·
Andretti,

In all due respects you chose a truck that rarely if ever compares favorably to the current GMT900's. I hope you do not mind that I take any , and all assertions from someone who is often quite in error with a grain of salt. Please though let those of us who understand automotive concepts explain the benefits of DI on the Gen V V8 without your pro import bias.

I hope that you enjoy your Tundra, and I hope that I never have to do business with a company that clearly supports a company that was part of a plan to erase American automakers.

#766 ·
Andretti,

In all due respects you chose a truck that rarely if ever compares favorably to the current GMT900's. I hope you do not mind that I take any , and all assertions from someone who is often quite in error with a grain of salt. Please though let those of us who understand automotive concepts explain the benefits of DI on the Gen V V8 without your pro import bias.

I hope that you enjoy your Tundra, and I hope that I never have to do business with a company that clearly supports a company that was part of a plan to erase American automakers.
While I would argue that the Tundra did beat out the GMT900's back when it was introduced in 2007 in just about every measureable metric, it is certainly not ahead of anyone today.

That being said, the last sentence I bolded is nothing but a complete load of steaming crap.

#764 ·
For all the rest of you not trying to further an agenda. She has no earthly clue what the K2XX trucks will bring to the table despite her best assertions. Direct injection, VVT, and more far reaching AFM activation will bring a notable increase in fuel economy as well as power.

#769 ·
I think I will actually wait until the trucks debut before I make any discernment about their capability. I prefer not to take the words of those with an obvious anti GM sentiment as the gospel truth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.