GM Inside News Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 1780 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 6.2L is night and day better then the 5.3L in the current trucks. I would agree the less nanny restricted Toyo, Ram, and Ford's with top tier motors all feel considerably more responcive then the GM. I love my GM 6.2L, best sounding engine on the market. IMO. I really hope they turn down the Nanny's in the new truck, becuase I am willing speculate without any real doubt that the Gen5 6.2L will be the most powerfull half ton on the market at least on paper, I just pray it can put to use and that the power can be felt in real world applications.

I just drove a 8 sp Hemi 3.55 gear Ram crew 4x4 a couple weeks ago. I spent a little over an hour with it. I have to say that setup is impressive. It felt really strong, with instant throttle responce, I don't know if it would out perform my 6.2L Ford or not. I think it would be close.

The main thing I didn't like about the 13' Ram was the shorter front doors which put my sholder right in contact with the door post. I am concerned that GMs new longer rear door, short front door design,(likley similar to the Ram) may do the same thing. I also sat in a Ram regular cab RT and the longer front doors of the regular cab resolves that door post in sholder issue. Ford in 04 went from longer front doors to short front doors and longer rear doors, they must have receieved a some negative feedback from there short front door design, because they fixed it with longer front and rear doors in 2009. My sholder is not crammed into the door post of my F150 even with with seat all the way back.
I also drove the ram and agree with your assessment of the drivetrain. The 8 speed really wakes up the hemi with great throttle response under 60mph. On the highway the hemi was not as strong as I would like. The extra hp of the new 6.2 should make a big difference I just hope the 6 speed gm slush box won't limit the system. I am hopeful the new rear end bodes well for no torque management. I didn't notice the entry issue with the door but wasn't really paying attention.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I here ya, thats exactly where I thought I could tell the difference between the Hemi and my 6.2L ford(up on the top end) . That could be in part do to the Hemi I drove was running 3:55s and my Ford has 3:73s. I am with you , on all that about the new K2s, my fingers are crossed that they tone that torque mangement crap way back now that they have, more of heavy duty rear axle in place for the K2s .

If notice in the pics of Rams on the net in paricular you see it in live shots dealers take an put in their adds on sites like cars.com. If the front seats are all the way back you see the backrest is behind the door post, meaning if you have real broad sholders, your sholder will be contacting that door post. I have not seen enough live shots from different angles to really say for sure the new K2 with it's new shorter front doors will be the same, but I know in my Tahoe and my last Sierra that my sholder right infront of the door post, so if the new front door is shorter, I am a little worried that could be case with the the new K2s being just like the RAM I drove a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,763
I here ya, thats exactly where I thought I could tell the difference between the Hemi and my 6.2L ford(up on the top end) . That could be in part do to the Hemi I drove was running 3:55s and my Ford has 3:73s. I am with you , on all that about the new K2s, my fingers are crossed that they tone that torque mangement crap way back now that they have, more of heavy duty rear axle in place for the K2s .

If notice in the pics of Rams on the net in paricular you see it in live shots dealers take an put in their adds on sites like cars.com. If the front seats are all the way back you see the backrest is behind the door post, meaning if you have real broad sholders, your sholder will be contacting that door post. I have not seen enough live shots from different angles to really say for sure the new K2 with it's new shorter front doors will be the same, but I know in my Tahoe and my last Sierra that my sholder right infront of the door post, so if the new front door is shorter, I am a little worried that could be case with the the new K2s being just like the RAM I drove a couple weeks ago.
I had the torque management removed from my Sierra. And a shift kit added. The response is great now I could never go back. My new 2014 will recieve the same thing. But ya it sucks GM has so much TM, maybe they will tobe it down a bit in the new one. I wonder if they are going with a whole new ECU/PCM. I have an extra one.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts

The Dodge you had must have been the quad cab? Dodge has 'coupe' style doors on the RC. Good for accessing rear bin stowage, but they are almost like the old 70's two door cars. Very loooong if you are in a tight parking lot space.

The more I read your posts the more I'm convinced you will only be happy with a Reg Cab Dodge. It has the higher trim level you want in the R/T and the Hemi is a powerhouse. If you don't care much about mileage the '14 Silvy maybe just isn't hitting on your priorities.

Another thing I can attest to: The 6.4 RC is quite maneuverable in close quarters. If you are getting out of a SuperCab Ford you might really enjoy the ability to make U turns in one swoop instead of three pointing it. And you can get in the garage with plenty of space left in front for a bench or something.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I had the torque management removed from my Sierra. And a shift kit added. The response is great now I could never go back. My new 2014 will recieve the same thing. But ya it sucks GM has so much TM, maybe they will tobe it down a bit in the new one. I wonder if they are going with a whole new ECU/PCM. I have an extra one.
I thought I read someplace that GM (as with other OEMs) is trying to make it more and more difficult to re-tune their ECUs? And that they were voiding warranties of those that they catch - even mild ones. I wonder what type of "anti-tamper" techniques they'll employ on these new engiens?

·
Registered
858 Posts
The Dodge you had must have been the quad cab? Dodge has 'coupe' style doors on the RC. Good for accessing rear bin stowage, but they are almost like the old 70's two door cars. Very loooong if you are in a tight parking lot space.

The more I read your posts the more I'm convinced you will only be happy with a Reg Cab Dodge. It has the higher trim level you want in the R/T and the Hemi is a powerhouse. If you don't care much about mileage the '14 Silvy maybe just isn't hitting on your priorities.

Another thing I can attest to: The 6.4 RC is quite maneuverable in close quarters. If you are getting out of a SuperCab Ford you might really enjoy the ability to make U turns in one swoop instead of three pointing it. And you can get in the garage with plenty of space left in front for a bench or something.
The Ram I test drove was the crew cab. After experiencing the crew cab and determining what the issues were I started looking at the quads and the regular cabs. It seems they are using what looks to be the same doors on the crew's and quad cab trucks and the longer door only on the regular cabs. I was open to the idea of a regular cab, but still was considering a quad cab.

Based on what I have seen so far including what i experienced the other day with the 13 Ram, if going regular cab it will be the Ram. If going extended cab or crew cab it would be a 6.2L F150 again. I am mainly looking at going regular cab or ext cab.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I thought I read someplace that GM (as with other OEMs) is trying to make it more and more difficult to re-tune their ECUs? And that they were voiding warranties of those that they catch - even mild ones. I wonder what type of "anti-tamper" techniques they'll employ on these new engiens?
I think I heard this in an interview, or read it somewhere, that the ECU will be tougher to crack.

I know that for my Subaru, which has been retuned, the ECU has a check sum number that any time you flash it, it changes and even if I flash it back to stock this number will change yet again to something different. There is no way to alter the number either. Subaru service departments might not have known about this, but the area service advisors do, and any time there is a catastrophical engine failure, they'd check the ECU for this trace.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
The Ram I test drove was the crew cab. After experiencing the crew cab and determining what the issues were I started looking at the quads and the regular cabs. It seems they are using what looks to be the same doors on the crew's and quad cab trucks and the longer door only on the regular cabs. I was open to the idea of a regular cab, but still was considering a quad cab.

Based on what I have seen so far including what i experienced the other day with the 13 Ram, if going regular cab it will be the Ram. If going extended cab or crew cab it would be a 6.2L F150 again. I am mainly looking at going regular cab or ext cab.
Only thing is, the Chevy 378 will almost certainly have more power than the Ford 379 and get better gas mileage. Only thing is you have to get the LTZ - but then your issue with the B pillar is a factor.

I don't know how you felt about the quad cab ride, but I can say Dodge RC ride is considerably softer than my RC '09 Silvy - but of course the K2xx is supposed to be way smoother with the new body mounts.

BTW, I had originally considered getting a '14 Silvy RC, but now I've decided to wait at least until my Dodge is paid off.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,771
They may be harder but nothing is impossible to crack, besides the dealers have to be able to change settings as well so there is always that window open. My dealer doesnt bother with checking for a modded ecu, and even if I did blow my engine I have a bone stock ecu to change out with the modded one. I will do the same on the new truck, keep a stock spare for the service visits.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
They may be harder but nothing is impossible to crack, besides the dealers have to be able to change settings as well so there is always that window open. My dealer doesnt bother with checking for a modded ecu, and even if I did blow my engine I have a bone stock ecu to change out with the modded one. I will do the same on the new truck, keep a stock spare for the service visits.

Gm usually pairs with hp tuners for aftermarket mods. This is a billion dollar mkt. and it wil remain alive. Too many of us want to turn our truck motors into the Ls9 motors like the supercharged vette.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Only thing is, the Chevy 378 will almost certainly have more power than the Ford 379 and get better gas mileage. Only thing is you have to get the LTZ - but then your issue with the B pillar is a factor.

I don't know how you felt about the quad cab ride, but I can say Dodge RC ride is considerably softer than my RC '09 Silvy - but of course the K2xx is supposed to be way smoother with the new body mounts.

BTW, I had originally considered getting a '14 Silvy RC, but now I've decided to wait at least until my Dodge is paid off.
I agree, I too expect the new k2's 6.2 to be the all out power leader in half ton trucks. I am guessing 425hp range and 440 torque range, still concerned about it having a possibly over achieving TM system that could kill it. Will have to wait till this fall to find out.

If I go with a regular cab, I just don't think I would like the k2 6sp 5.3 over the 8sp Hemi RC. Storage and available content, cab space etc I feel are going to be in the Rams favor as well. But if I deside to go with an ext cab, I am definitely going to hold out for at least a k2 test drive .

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
It's a truck, a 1.5 inch lift in the front would be better...

Tyler
Seems even more jacked up in the rear than the current model, although maybe the return of the rocker panel makes it seem that way - almost looks like a 3/4 ton 4wd for rear ride height. I thought it was stated that front ride height would be higher and the springs are actually stiffer on most models. Thought it would have more of an even keel, but I really like it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's a truck, a 1.5 inch lift in the front would be better...

Tyler
Yes, its a truck. It will still look better with a 2/4 drop that will bring it down to a regular stance, it is sitting awkwardly high in the rear. A 2/4 drop will enhance the appearance of the truck and will still serve its intended purpose and perform all its basic functions except off road clearance, most trucks never go off road anyway and there are no badges to prove that the truck in the picture is a 4x4 model.
Anyway its good to finally see a live shot of a new regular cab without camo and it looks like there will still not be enough room behind the rear seat for storage

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think the reason why the regular cabs look so jacked up in the rear may be bc they are required to have the same front and rear height as the longer wheelbase crew cabs, but on a shorter frame it makes them appear taller in the rear

1761 - 1780 of 1780 Posts