GM Inside News Forum banner
121 - 140 of 1780 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
It happens all the time. Has my entire life.. I'm not talking about New trucks. I'm talking about the highschool kid who just got his first pick up and all that he found was a gmc but wanted a Chevy so he swapped the grille. I've literally watched it happen many dozens of times. Either you

1) Aren't a Truck Guy so have never really experienced the scene.

2) Are too young to understand how things were before the last 15 years.
You mean like when you could get a Pontiac V8 in your GMC and blow the doors off any same year Chevy? Those were the good old days when nothing could beat the 421 SD's except GM pulling out of racing. Even as early as 57 when Pontiac beat the factory Chrysler 300's in speed weeks they dominated racing till the 63 ban.
LJ

·
Super Moderator
21,301 Posts
No, I have not built any trucks...I have turned plenty of wrenches though. As many as you? Nope. But what point are you trying to make? Is there some written credentials one has to meet in order to be a "truck guy"? What perks come with such a title? Does being a "truck guy" by your definition make your Bowtie fanboy opinion any more worthy than mine?

Get a grip dude. :rolleyes:
We should just stop arguing with him because we'll never be truck guys in his eyes. So sayeth the King of Truck Guys. :lmao:

·
Super Moderator
21,301 Posts
:lmao:

But in all seriousness, FoD, chill a bit, will you? Just because you've supposedly worked on trucks before any of us were born doesn't make you any better than any of us.

There's nothing wrong with being loyal to a specific brand, but you do need to understand that the majority of us are loyal to General Motors as a whole, and some of us (like Vmax) buy whatever they feel like. My family has owned both GMC and Chevrolet trucks, although the majority have been GMCs simply because of a great relationship with our Buick-GMC dealer. If GMC somehow went kaput tomorrow, I would have no problem switching over to Chevrolet trucks. Hell, I've been looking for a used fullsize recently and I can't really decide if I want a Silverado or Sierra more (currently leaning towards Silverado).

That being said, as of right now it's all a matter of personal preference for us, the customers, and profit for GM, the manufacturer. If you like Chevrolets over GMCs, then by all means, buy the Chevrolet you like. If you can't handle the fact that GM will never kill GMC as long as it prints money for them, well, sorry.

Oh, and by the way, perhaps this is just me, but I've always viewed the Silverado to be a better work truck. Would hate to take a Sierra Denali to a farm and end up with mud and cow manure all over it. It seems as though we've reached a point to where I must wonder how nice is too nice in the truck world.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They should make a Cadillac truck. Like the EXT except without all that plastic garbage.

·
Banned
2,537 Posts
You mean like when you could get a Pontiac V8 in your GMC and blow the doors off any same year Chevy? Those were the good old days when nothing could beat the 421 SD's except GM pulling out of racing. Even as early as 57 when Pontiac beat the factory Chrysler 300's in speed weeks they dominated racing till the 63 ban.
Pfft... There's not any Pontiac on the road that could take down my 67 Chevy Camaro. Nor is there a Pontiac on the road worth more money.. And that corporate brand gmc has had Chevrolet engines as long as I've been alive. Chevrolet V8's powered Pontiac's for over 2 decades until the bitter end. Chevy won... Always have, always will.

Look, you gmc guys have fun. Seriously, enjoy the moment!! I've waited for something like this for over 20 years but it just isn't going to happen so somebody might as well celebrate right? :eek: More power to you... I mean that from the bottom of my heart.. Honest to God on high I really do. :cool:

If I were a GMC guy I'd be happy as could be right now. If this were Chevrolet I'd literally throw a party this weekend in celebration.. The guys that would show up would be unreal. Race car drivers and die hard Trucking folks alike.... The GMC brand to me will always be a corporate one. There's nothing GM can do to change that... It IS GM 'c' after all. It holds no special value to me.. I'm sorry. It never has and never will. Maybe If I'd grown up with a 1922 GMC 490 or a 1955 GMC Bel Air or a 1967 GMC Camaro or a GMC Corvette of any year or a 1964-72 GMC Chevelle I'd feel different. The fact is I grew up with Chevrolet cars and trucks and that's what I love... I'm really not all that fond of GM as a corporation anymore but I'll always give Chevrolet a chance.

Not only do I view GMC as corporate generic but I view it as feminine. Their SUV's cater to middle aged women who sell Mary Kay cosmetics and their trucks cater to men with low testosterone levels and realtors. It's simply not who I am... Ford? Yes. Ram? Yes. Chevy?... Oh Hell Yes. GMC?? I'll pass thank you... I look at the brand no different than I would a Toyota, Honda or Nissan. I'd rather use one for target practice than be seen driving one... It's how I feel and I'm sorry to those it offends.. Blame GM for creating this mess in the first place not me.

This is why I've Never been a 'GM' guy. I don't like anything general... I like specifics and I like things that really mean something from the heart in life. I'm the real deal and I want the best out of my brand. If you're not going to give me the best any longer, why on earth would I want your product? Again, I'm happy for you GMC guys but as a Chevrolet guy my heart is truly and sincerely broken. Laugh behind your keyboards as much as you'd like. Please do so and get it out of your system....

This whole endeavor has meant alot to me. I joined GMI specifically for 1 reason and that was to give my input to make Chevrolet trucks number 1 again. I did my best. In the end the powerful suits win again.. I will indeed look at the Silverado and compare it to the F-Series before making my final call. I'm not buying a GMC... That's all there is to it. I'll join the rest of the guys who left Chevy for Ford long before I'll drive anything else. It is what it is.. Thank you GMI and God bless.

That being said, as of right now it's all a matter of personal preference for us, the customers, and profit for GM, the manufacturer. If you like Chevrolets over GMCs, then by all means, buy the Chevrolet you like. If you can't handle the fact that GM will never kill GMC as long as it prints money for them, well, sorry.
And to you Fenwick, while I'm not a GMC guy my problem isn't with neither you nor GMC for that matter. It's with GM. They refuse to listen to their customers and I've grown tired of it concerning their trucks... Unfortunately, the Truck is the halo vehicle for me. As a truck guy whatever truck I buy is also the complete auto brand I choose. That's just the way it is with truck guys. Maybe it's not something you understand, maybe it's not something Vmax understands and that's completely cool... While we disagree on some things we do agree on others and you're both nice guys.... But man, I have a serious problem with some corporation telling me (a lifelong customer who's literally put hundreds of thousands of dollars in their pocket as a whole) that I can't have the best. And to do so I'll just have to switch brands because 'they said so'. I'm sorry.. That doesn't fly with me. You just don't have to do that with Ford. You just don't have to do that with Dodge/Ram. If GM has a change of heart and will make ALL options on the GMC available to Chevrolet buyers as well then I just may stay at home. If not, I'm sorry. I have to move on.... Seriously, I love all you GMI folks but I don't think I've been this heartbroken in my life. Take care Fenwick and the rest of you all...

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
Fan of Durant et al... I'll make a prediction now, you won't like the new GM's. This is only my guess, but I don't see a next gen truck coming with a solid front axle, higher ground clearance and thicker body metal. Fuel economy standards and IIHS influence won't allow high, heavy vehicles with thick bumpers capable of trampling over Honda Civics and sucking down relatively more fuel due to its weight. I predict the new trucks will be all about cool looks, have lots of neat storage bins and techno-gadgetry, have a "pretty" interior, but won't be an off-road brute.

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
Fan of Durant, you just need to find a retired Forest Service K30 3+3 that's been sitting at the fire station in NM or the Sierras. Do a frame off, drop in a ZZ big block crate motor and call it a day. Then I'll try to talk you into selling it to me :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Apparently FOD lives in his own Chevy dream world! He thinks GM powertrain engines are Chevy engines when actually they are more like the original Pontiac V8 then Chevys original copy of Pontiac's V8. Check out Butler Performance web site where All Pontiac 500+ c.i. engines put out more power then current GM powertrain engines. As far as muscle car values Pontiac's far exceed comparable Chevy's!
LJ

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
If I could get an HD crew cab with the short bed (5'8") I would have a Denali HD in my driveway right now. If the next gen makes this available, I just might do it.
As far as the new trucks, I just want GM to offer a 1500 Crew Cab with a 6'6" bed. Ford offers it -- why can't GM?!?!
You can be sure GM will be offering a 1500 crewcab with the full-sized short bed (6.5 ft).

I'm also certain they will offer a short bed crewcab HD... Ford and Dodge do it, and I actually thought GM did, until someone pointed out he hoped they would for the next gen.

And not once have I ever seen it happen the way you're describing either. :lmao:
Really? It's quite common with S15/Sonomas and GMT400s. (Kids buying what they can get as used trucks.)

I can't believe you've never noticed it.

I agree the other way around is really less common, although at some point it was in my plans for my own Chevy truck in the future... now I've slightly warmed up to the direction GM is taking Chevy, but it's still nice to know I have the easy option to just debadge it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The King Ranch debuted in 2003. The Sierra C3, which was essentially a Denali, launched in 2001.
Man, I thought I was the only one that remembered the C3 name.

First and foremost, Thank You for buying the real deal... :cool:
You didn't support this faux money machine...

As for the Escalade, I'm fine with it but what's the point? The Denali gmc ruins it's value and image. Heck, look at the sales of both. Cadillac would most likely have gotten far more sales if it weren't for the yukon denali. And those it didn't would have went to Chevrolet.. It ultimately makes the Cadillac brand look like a joke. If I were a Cadillac dealer I'm be mad as could be at GM. What I don't understand is this... Chevrolet is the 'main brand' competition to Ford, Dodge and Toyota. Yet those other companies don't have 'mid brands' any longer so they are making their main brands a premium brand in itself. Now exactly how does GM plan to compete against let's say an F-150 or Super Duty with a Chevrolet Silverado? Chevrolet is purposely dumbed down for the sake of gmc yet it's supposed to be Ford's direct competitor. Why even bother making Chevy trucks 1 minute longer if you aren't going to take off the gloves and kill the competition? Seriously, what's the point?? If I sold Chevrolet trucks I'd be embarassed... "Sorry sir, we can't offer you as nice of a truck as Ford does. Our corporate management dictates that we must send you to the corporate gmc dealer instead.." Sad...

You're right. And that's the saddest part of the whole saga.... They simply care about 1 thing and 1 thing only. A bunch of corporate sell outs for the almighty dollar.... Typical 'GM'.

Lincoln is a luxury brand. I'd have a problem if it was a Mercury. As a Lincoln however, just like Cadillac I have no issue.
How do you feel about the Malibu versus the Regal then. They are sister cars but I don't see too many people having an issue with the Regal being more luxurious. I don't have a problem with GMC becoming a more radical brand that is a step up from Chevy. They won't be marketed towards the same crowd. Like someone said, you'll usually have the GMC's along side the Buicks so the crowd looking for luxury cars may buy one.

I agree Chevy needs to be badass. You see Chevy pride and Chevy Power, but I think GMC has the opportunity to fit a niche that the typical truck buyer may not seek. Maybe a doctor wants to have a truck but doesn't like the stigma of the fact that farmers drive Chevy/Ford/Ram/etc and wants something that means higher class. GMC can provide this option. Without taking away from Chevrolet. Perhaps GMC can share with Cadillac.

It happens all the time. Has my entire life.. I'm not talking about New trucks. I'm talking about the highschool kid who just got his first pick up and all that he found was a gmc but wanted a Chevy so he swapped the grille. I've literally watched it happen many dozens of times. Either you

1) Aren't a Truck Guy so have never really experienced the scene.

2) Are too young to understand how things were before the last 15 years.
I was proud to have my 82 Jimmy compared to my 86 Blazer. My GMC being less popular made it more exclusive, more rare than the Blazer. Even if it didn't look nearly as good.

I had to restore my Jimmy but because of cost and need of parts I sold it so I could just focus on my Blazer since it was in better shape and needed tires badly.

The IFS instead of SFA in the GM trucks is a major reason why they have always rode smoother than everyone else. The comfortable seats (exception being my '96) helped a lot. There is no need for SFA in the half ton trucks. Having driven both my mom's '04 Tahoe and dad's '01 2500HD I would definitely stand by that statement.

·
Registered
359 Posts
How do you feel about the Malibu versus the Regal then. They are sister cars but I don't see too many people having an issue with the Regal being more luxurious. I don't have a problem with GMC becoming a more radical brand that is a step up from Chevy. They won't be marketed towards the same crowd. Like someone said, you'll usually have the GMC's along side the Buicks so the crowd looking for luxury cars may buy one.
Just because one is unrational about trucks does not mean he has to have an opinion on cars.

FOD doesn't even like chevy, he doesn't need a reason to not like GMC. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Oh, and a 1969 Camaro is worth far more than your 67...just sayin' ;)
Well, the '69 being worth more, just shows there is no accounting for taste. Everyone knows that the '67 and '68 were the best looking of the 1st Gens.............. with the only differences being minor grille changes, the removal of the wing window on the '68, and addition of side marker lights on the '68. :D

Of course, the real lucky ones, are the ones who own one of 600 L78 '67 Camaro's.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Pfft... There's not any Pontiac on the road that could take down my 67 Chevy Camaro. Nor is there a Pontiac on the road worth more money.. And that corporate brand gmc has had Chevrolet engines as long as I've been alive. Chevrolet V8's powered Pontiac's for over 2 decades until the bitter end. Chevy won... Always have, always will.

Look, you gmc guys have fun. Seriously, enjoy the moment!! I've waited for something like this for over 20 years but it just isn't going to happen so somebody might as well celebrate right? :eek: More power to you... I mean that from the bottom of my heart.. Honest to God on high I really do. :cool:

If I were a GMC guy I'd be happy as could be right now. If this were Chevrolet I'd literally throw a party this weekend in celebration.. The guys that would show up would be unreal. Race car drivers and die hard Trucking folks alike.... The GMC brand to me will always be a corporate one. There's nothing GM can do to change that... It IS GM 'c' after all. It holds no special value to me.. I'm sorry. It never has and never will. Maybe If I'd grown up with a 1922 GMC 490 or a 1955 GMC Bel Air or a 1967 GMC Camaro or a GMC Corvette of any year or a 1964-72 GMC Chevelle I'd feel different. The fact is I grew up with Chevrolet cars and trucks and that's what I love... I'm really not all that fond of GM as a corporation anymore but I'll always give Chevrolet a chance.

Not only do I view GMC as corporate generic but I view it as feminine. Their SUV's cater to middle aged women who sell Mary Kay cosmetics and their trucks cater to men with low testosterone levels and realtors. It's simply not who I am... Ford? Yes. Ram? Yes. Chevy?... Oh Hell Yes. GMC?? I'll pass thank you... I look at the brand no different than I would a Toyota, Honda or Nissan. I'd rather use one for target practice than be seen driving one... It's how I feel and I'm sorry to those it offends.. Blame GM for creating this mess in the first place not me.

This is why I've Never been a 'GM' guy. I don't like anything general... I like specifics and I like things that really mean something from the heart in life. I'm the real deal and I want the best out of my brand. If you're not going to give me the best any longer, why on earth would I want your product? Again, I'm happy for you GMC guys but as a Chevrolet guy my heart is truly and sincerely broken. Laugh behind your keyboards as much as you'd like. Please do so and get it out of your system....

This whole endeavor has meant alot to me. I joined GMI specifically for 1 reason and that was to give my input to make Chevrolet trucks number 1 again. I did my best. In the end the powerful suits win again.. I will indeed look at the Silverado and compare it to the F-Series before making my final call. I'm not buying a GMC... That's all there is to it. I'll join the rest of the guys who left Chevy for Ford long before I'll drive anything else. It is what it is.. Thank you GMI and God bless.

And to you Fenwick, while I'm not a GMC guy my problem isn't with neither you nor GMC for that matter. It's with GM. They refuse to listen to their customers and I've grown tired of it concerning their trucks... Unfortunately, the Truck is the halo vehicle for me. As a truck guy whatever truck I buy is also the complete auto brand I choose. That's just the way it is with truck guys. Maybe it's not something you understand, maybe it's not something Vmax understands and that's completely cool... While we disagree on some things we do agree on others and you're both nice guys.... But man, I have a serious problem with some corporation telling me (a lifelong customer who's literally put hundreds of thousands of dollars in their pocket as a whole) that I can't have the best. And to do so I'll just have to switch brands because 'they said so'. I'm sorry.. That doesn't fly with me. You just don't have to do that with Ford. You just don't have to do that with Dodge/Ram. If GM has a change of heart and will make ALL options on the GMC available to Chevrolet buyers as well then I just may stay at home. If not, I'm sorry. I have to move on.... Seriously, I love all you GMI folks but I don't think I've been this heartbroken in my life. Take care Fenwick and the rest of you all...
Can I just say something too you, and get through all the chatter, and ideas in your head that will make some sense? I understand you want Chevy to be your top dog. You want the Silverado to be the king of all trucks. Well let me ask you... is it not NOW? Last I checked, most real truck guys.. are die-hard off road guys that would never take a AWD DENALI over a 4X4 Chevy, of any trim, no matter how much nicer the Denali is. My informant who has actually seen and driven the new truck didnt say "the new GMC will have a 4X4 Denali off road beast". None of that was mentioned. Does the current Sierra All Terrain have Denali level equipment? NO. Its the same thing as a LS/LT/LTZ Chevy but with special shocks and a different grill. (Could you put a special grill on a Chevy?... YA. Can you not upgrade the suspension to even better than the factory? YA MOST off-roaders DO) As a truck guy myself, speaking to a truck guy like you, I can pretty much assure you that the Denali truck IS NOT THE RIGHT TRUCK FOR YOU ANYWAYS. I would never buy one. Nor would you. It doesnt have FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. So why drop Chevy for something so minor as a upper "non truck guy" trim level? OR IS IT JUST THE PRINCIPAL?

I really want you to stay as die-hard a Chevy fan as you are now... and forever. And I don't get the feeling that the new Silverado will be anything BUT a beast of a truck. WHO CARES if Chevy will not have a Denali level?? Let the GMC fans have their fancy truck. DUDE, the new Chevy will be badass. If they can make the GMC upgrade radical and a step ahead, do you not think they wouldnt do that for Chevy since they sell more? I think they will. I feel they will make it as amazing as the GMC, and the looks will cater to the Chevy croud, while they let GMC go in a different direction... as far removed from what YOU want as could be. I will buy the new GMC, because I prefer the way they look. I am just as die hard a GMC fan as you are a Chevy fan. And you will buy the Chevy. And we can both thank GM for making what we want, enjoy a cold beer while shooting the **** while talking crap about ford and banging some wrenches on our beloved trucks before getting yelled at by our wives for not paying them enough attention and putting too much love in a silly old pickup.......

Its just a truck.

121 - 140 of 1780 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.