GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
Do none of you have any idea how to compare vehicles based on performance? The EB F150 while fast for a truck is still a relatively heavy vehicle with a power to weight ratio that is shaded by the V6 Malibu. Not only does the Malibu have a higher trap speed , it also has a quicker elapsed time. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that his V6 Malibu had no problem shading an Ecoboost F150 .

·
15,356 Posts
So gearing, driven wheels, transmission, traction, torque/hp curves, etc. having nothing to do with it? It all boils down to peak hp/lbs? Then somebody better call the C&D and MT and tell them their performance numbers are all wrong.
You act as if we only have the data for horsepower per pound in a vacuum. Did you not read my whole post, and realize that the Malibu not only has a higher trap speed but also a quicker elapsed time? When you begin this discussion using 0-60 times than you credibility on this subject already took a nose dive.

·
15,356 Posts
Let's see... They're leaving a light at an intersection to enter the highway, and you really think they dragged down the service road for 1/4 mile at ~100 mph? Really? Most on-ramps are 100 yrds or less from intersections. They'd be lucky to reach 60-70 in that period of time. The EB has a better 0-60 time. Apology accepted.
Your attempt at data extrapolation is ultimately a failure because you are debating a situation with the person who actually knows all the data. He was actually there so of course his eyewitness report is more valid than your theory, and as I said I easily backed up his claim with data. You also attempted to use 0-60 times that would of course justify your point, and of course if you use slow Malibu 0-60 times as well as fast EB F150 times than it would. I would encourage you to come to terms with being wrong because it is obvious that you are in this situation.

·
15,356 Posts
It appears to be a situation of a one sided race, the F150 driver wasn't aware they were even racing... He was likely just proceeding normally and the V6 Malibu pulled past him.
So you who was not even present to watch is the ultimate expert on what took place?

·
15,356 Posts
Germy, perhaps your vocabulary isn't deep enough to include "appears". I used it in the context to mean "my observation". I stated that it appears as can be concluded from the facts presented.

You were not present yet try to weigh in with your "facts" I gave my opinion.
The facts presented were so clear, and concise that you should realize that your opinion was based on thin air. Your observation has already been disproven, and comprehensively shaded by the fact that the OP was there, and that I already backed his account up with fact. Perhaps you should pull up a chair, and you could learn something here.

·
15,356 Posts
I heard that Ford is developing a frame made from onobtainium, titanium, and carbon fiber reinforced plastic. So basically GM should stop development now, and buy their trucks directly from Ford.

·
15,356 Posts
Every thread the same posters bring their assertions ad nauseam that GM is inept because Ford, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia is infallible. If all of you hold Ford, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia in such high regard in relation to GM pray tell may I ask why are you here? Can we at least let the K2XX trucks debut before we declare them utter trash in relation to insert manufacturers here product?

·
15,356 Posts
You got me on this one. What is a "power glide"? A transmission? 8-speed?
A GM two speed transmission noted for its brute strength, and amazing reliability that featured only two speeds.

·
15,356 Posts
"A" 4.3....interesting to see the overall changes: all brand new? DI? Etc.? We're in limbo here on everything. GM's working hard to get rid of the '12s, now with '13s are on the lots, but you can't build one on web. '13 supposed to be quick "stock up to get through" to '14s which are now delayed even further. As someone who's very close to buying this makes things tougher. Whatever happens w/the switch from 900's to K2's, I just hope they get it right...
Something to keep in mind is that the 4.3 V6 was based on the traditional small block Chevy, and never received the LSx upgrades. So this new engine will not only benefit from a new architecture but it could very well feature VVT, and DI.

·
15,356 Posts

·
15,356 Posts
Nsap are you saying that the 4.3 that are in the current Base GM truck, will continue be the same engine?
I don't think so. I've heard it'll be an all new 4.3L with DI and such. I think nsap threw us this bone because many people were speculating that the 3.6L would be used as the base V6 in the new trucks.

Let me help a little bit with what is to be expected from this new 4.3.

Something to keep in mind is that the 4.3 V6 was based on the traditional small block Chevy, and never received the LSx upgrades. So this new engine will not only benefit from a new architecture but it could very well feature VVT, and DI.

·
15,356 Posts
A Gen V V8 derived 4.3 V6 would not share anything with the current 4.3 aside from displacement. This engine is not an LFX variant because as has been aforementioned it can only attain a displacement of 4.0 liters.

·
15,356 Posts
Dodge has a pretting interesting setup with the new Pentastar, but reviews seem to be a bit worried on towing especially w/8-speed...which, admittedly, many don't get close to ever doing and real towing. I can't wait to see the numbers the new 4.3 puts down, but the competition is walking all over GM on interior, tech features inside, and variations. The air suspension is one that can go either way. My experience(Porsche Cayennes) is that they were fun to play with and most used them for the highway handling/economy advantages. Trucks could better use for off-road vs. on applications as I only had one person ever take their Cayenne(Turbo of all things!) off-roading regularly. Can't wait to see the take rate on that option. GM....have those '14s ready yet? We're getting beat like the '08 Lions here!
The Pentastar in practice is a relatively peaky engine but some is masked by the inherent gearing advantages of the 8 speed auto. GM needs to get the 8 speed automatic in development done post haste if it plans to take the fight to Ford, and Dodge.

·
15,356 Posts
DI is just as effective if not more effective in a Gen V V8 vs a HF LFX V6 so I have no idea where that assertion came from.

·
15,356 Posts
Andretti,

In all due respects you chose a truck that rarely if ever compares favorably to the current GMT900's. I hope you do not mind that I take any , and all assertions from someone who is often quite in error with a grain of salt. Please though let those of us who understand automotive concepts explain the benefits of DI on the Gen V V8 without your pro import bias.

I hope that you enjoy your Tundra, and I hope that I never have to do business with a company that clearly supports a company that was part of a plan to erase American automakers.

·
15,356 Posts
For all the rest of you not trying to further an agenda. She has no earthly clue what the K2XX trucks will bring to the table despite her best assertions. Direct injection, VVT, and more far reaching AFM activation will bring a notable increase in fuel economy as well as power.

·
15,356 Posts
I think I will actually wait until the trucks debut before I make any discernment about their capability. I prefer not to take the words of those with an obvious anti GM sentiment as the gospel truth.

·
15,356 Posts
For you, I think that would be a really good idea! I have purchased more GM vehicles, in my relatively short adult life, than you will in your entire life. Therefore I am more qualified to be unbiased in my evaluation of GMs latest half ton truck effort.
You are humorous in your assertions , and the very notion of being unbiased is shot out of the water by your purchase of one the worst full size pickup made today. How can you evaluate a truck in any way, shape, or form that you have not seen nor driven? Please save me your credentials because your grasp on simple automotive concepts is tenuous at best.

·
15,356 Posts
We tested Silverados, F150's and Tundras extensively prior to our decision. You might not like the Tundra for yourself and that is fine. However to denigrate it on Power, Efficiency and Quality just shows your severe ignorance.
In all three of those areas GM has trucks that exceed or match the Tundra in every way currently. I could not have faulted you for purchasing 3 Ford's but your purchase of a Tundra shows that you are indeed lambasing GM for issues that the Tundra also has, and in many ways is worse.

I am sure they would consider GM vehicles if GM made the type of vehicles they drive. You might want to look around. When I go to GM plants or HQ there are MANY non GM vehicles in the parking lot. Obviously the engineers are not the only ones freely selecting what it is they want to drive.
Unfortunately for you a modus operandi has been established by you to suggest that you will easily bend the truth to suit your anti-GM rhetoric. You are taking this thread off track with your assertions to having a direct inside track, and the thought that you can speak on a truck you have never seen nor driven. The fact is you like many consumers purchased what you had convinced yourself was the best, and anything you say is just your way of justifying the purchase of one of the worst full size trucks made.

Can we get this thread back on track, and speak about the upcoming K2XX trucks without constant, and incessant carping as to why insert manufacturer here has trucks that are so much better than a truck no one has seen nor driven?

·
15,356 Posts
Germy,

As is all too typical of you, short of facts and long on opinion and whining. I suggest you take your opinions and whining somewhere else few want to hear your delusional rantings. I, on the other hand, bring objective information and facts that are of interest in this thread.
Pray tell could you tell all of us that are so beneath your wisdom what the trucks drive , and look like? Could you also explain to all of us why you are the only one forward thinking enough to think that the Tundra is notable in any way? Could you also explain why direct injection will lend nothing to the new Gen V V8 engine family because it is a cam in block design?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.