GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have any of you noticed the exhaust out the driver side on the pic of the silverado with the 6.5 box and the gmc with the 5.8 box? Wonder if it could be a 6.2L engine option. The only thing is none of the other pics have the pipe out that side on the silverado

·
Registered
31 Posts
X2
That was one of the first things I looked for in the spy pics, and I am with you, it looks to me like they fixed the rocker panel issue.
At least it sure looks to me like the new trucks have them.

When the current truck came out, I could not believe they had done away with the rocker panels on a truck/Suv which both have real potential for seeing some off road use.

I think they must of had a much smarter team working on this next gen truck then they did for the current truck. Based on what I can see so far anyway.
I still don't like the tall bedsides, but all mfg have gone that way, not 100% sure why. Maybe air flow/economy reasons, or maybe just so when the tailgates down on the now popular 5.5ft beds that you can still set the traditional 4x8 sheet of plywood in there without it hanging over(extra long tailgate means the bedside had to get taller to matchup).
I think the box sides are going to be the same depth as they are now they just put longer and more arch in the springs to make for a softer ride and more payload. By having the back up in the air it can smash further down and still be level with the front to keep better control and better braking with loads on. I maybe wrong though also

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, you guys just continue making excuses for poor quality... The fact is Chevrolet's interiors ARE cheap compared to Ford's. The fact is Chevrolet's are NOT on anyone's radar in the offroad community because they don't have a SFA nor a Raptor or RamRunner competitor. The fact is Chevrolet's design is indeed very offputting to Many. The fact is Chevrolet uses Wax to coat their frames and it DOES come right off within a year or two allowing the frame to rust. The fact is they DID use parts bin drum brakes on the GMT900. The fact is their wheels ARE made in China. Take a tire off and read it for yourself... The fact is their bowtie emblems on the tailgates of the Silverado DO wash out from rain Very quickly. Even as brand new trucks with ZERO miles right on the dealer lots. Please, criticize everyone else who just said the same damn thing... Go ahead and make excuses and mock me all you want. Make fun of these guys too regarding the thin metal.. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119648

I love this this company FAR more than you kids ever will. That's why I call them out on their BS. I do not nor ever will apologize for their failures or shortcomings..

IFS is NOT crap. IFS in the form GM uses it on HD trucks with torsion bars IS. There's a big difference. Why don't you specify what IFS set up you're talking about. I fully back IFS on 1500's. There's a damn good reason Ford and Dodge don't use torsion bars and half shafts on their HD's. And sales of both of those trucks tell the story. That's what HD guys want.

Spin again. What are you, a commentator for MSNBC? I never once said that. All I Ever asked for is equality. Not for Anything to be liquidated.

You guys can continue to ignore what the vast majority of truck folks think and feel. Continue on in your GM bubble. I represent the REAL truck folks. Not some car club kids who have not a clue on what truck men want.

I just love how you ignore my praise for the Corvette, Camaro, Cruze, Enclave, Volt, Chevrolet Express van, ATS, CTS and the LaCrosse. I love how you ignore the fact I just agreed with Envoy I Want Ford to be third place. I love how you ignore my continual praise of Chevrolet powertrains and the new SBC. Facts don't matter to you though....
I wont argue the cheap interior but as far as the coating on the frame it seems to work for me just fine. I had a 99 silverado with 155k and still know the truck today with 240k on it and its all on there other then a few spots that have been scrapped off from hoists and who knows what else, also had an 04,08, and now a 2011 and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ford's Coyote V8 has DI design built in, just not implemented. Ford still has a card or 2 up their sleeves (as well as room for more power from the EB V6). Let's not also forget that the Pentastar V6 doesn't have DI either, so there's some improvement room there. Plus, Ram could easily swap in some parts & upgrade the 1500 with more displacement & power. The Ram is currently on my list of favorites over the F150.
Gm has the most low end torque out of any N/A engine out and hasnt even started offering the turbos yet on them so i think the engine/power/economy will be for sure taken by them and im saying the new interiors will be just as good as the f-150. Once you get as good as the f-150 interior u just cant get much better so its going to com down to appearance/power/MPG. Thats just my opinion

·
Registered
31 Posts
Let's see-GM: 5.3L (335 lb.-ft.), 6.2L (417 lb.-ft. on premium fuel)
-Ford: 5.0L (380 lb.-ft.), 6.2L (434 lb.-ft. on reg. gas)
-Ram: 4.7L (330 lb.-ft.), 5.7L (407 lb.-ft.)

In my opinion, Ford has the competition beat if you compare the entry level V8s against each other & then the top of the line V8s head-to-head. But, GM & Ford have a tendency to reserve the top V8s for their top trims. Want an F150 with a 6.2? Buy a Limited, Raptor or King Ranch. Want a Silverado with the 6.2? An LTZ or Denali is in your future. Want a Hemi? Ok, just pick what trim you want. Stripped entry model? Here you go. Top of the line Longhorn? Hell, we'll just give that to you automatically. As stated before, the Gen 5 GM engines will improve, but Ford will give the 5.0 DI & increase HP & torque & I'm sure if Ram wants to use the bore or crankshaft stroke size, they can resurrect the 6.1L Hemi or surprise everybody by offering a truck duty style 392 Hemi. It's a game of one-upsmanship that everybody knows how to play.
You are looking at peak numbers not low end numbers then we have the genV i dont believe anyone with the engines they offer now no matter how big they go or add DI can produce the low end at 1800-2500 that the genV does then add in the fact of the truck being 4-500lbs lighter then they are now. The new truck will definitely be a very strong truck to compete against, but you will always have the ford loyalists waiting for the new f-150. I believe gm already has what ford will be doing in 2 years planed and engine options in the works to be with them. Ram on the other hand its hard telling what they will do but im not to impressed with there engines this far. My 6.2 max gets as good of FE on 87 fuel as the hemi does and mine doesnt have DOD and i can walk there ass without having premium fuel also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an L92, and Hemi vehicle and while what you say is true today the game changes soon with the Hemi/8A combination in the RAM.
That may be true against a l92 with 6l80 but then here comes the genV 6.2 with about 60 ftlbs more compared to the l92 at 2000rpm and a truck that is way lighter at the same time ram comes with the 8spd so that will make the difference in the 2 more gears down low. An 8spd is basically just a crutch for no low end tq. Then wait gm throws in an 8spd later alone with alot of low end tq then we have our selves a stump puller :yup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Until official ratings for the Hemi/8A come out, the fuel economy arguement comes down more to driver than powertrain. As for the torque curve, you may feel free to post some graphs so that we may have an equal comparison.
Im comparing 2011 ram hemi vs my 2011 silverado max FE. I dont believe the 8spd will help FE on highway much unless the tranny has way less parasitic loss then now because the final ratio is the same in the 8-6spd. The thing that will help is the aerodynamics and if you order the 1500 dollar air ride that lowers the truck at cruising speed. Thats just my opinion though

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 8HP is a PT 'engineer's' dream.... in all ways possible.

And yes, it uses less power internally...... although by what amount varies considerably as you cycle each one through a regime. The net is a hugely favorable number.

There is much more to how a an 8HP contributes to a better 'highway' number although there is always the question of what the OEM wants do with it.

The choking time comes..... after the 8HP comes out ..... with an updated Hemi.

- and perhaps........... some other things.

An 8sp CAT outside an 8HP is either an expensive but useful improvement - but of a lesser sort than an 8HP - or a gimmick with a dose of 'we don't want to buy from ZF thrown in'.

You really should not run them all together like that.

Unlike any other , the 8HP has what it takes to stand up to all other 'rwd' offerings - whether with 6,7, 8, '9' or '10' and regardless of type ie CVT, DCT, CAT, etc etc

One of the ( really ) 'cool' things 'imo' concerning the LT1 announcement is the inclusion of an ( intake air ) active relative humidity sensor - for more reasons than one.

Hope this makes into all the 'trucks'.

Not sure anyone else here likes to shall we say.... 'play with water' including steam injection but on the face of it...... hey, they got a sensor in play now......
What makes the 8hp so much better then an ordinary 8spd? Any idea what the new improved hemi will be and when it arrives

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't followed the pages and pages of discussion on the trucks but does anyone think that GM will offer an air suspension option on the 1500 trucks like the 2013 Ram has? I just recently learned that the 2013 Ram has an adjustable air suspension and that seems like a really awesome option to me.
I would say no because gm and ford do not have rear coils and a 4 link suspension meaning they cant just get rid of the coils and put air bags in. They could put air helper bags on them to prevent sagging with heavy loads

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lets take a 2013 Tahoe that has 320 hp and weighs 5500lbs in rwd.
Now take a 2014 that is all new, has 360hp and weighs 49-5000lbs in rwd trim.
It's still not going to be a speed demon. Will probably 0-60 in the 6.6-7.0 range and get 2mpg better.
I think we are going to need to see another 5-700 lbs in weight reduction before Dynamics and fuel economy get interesting.
HP doesnt have the affects on MPG like TQ does and the new genV has way more low end then they do now so thats what will contribute to the way better MPG. By having more low end TQ it will allow them to maintain 4 cylinder mode much longer along with the 500 lb weight drop. Just my opinion

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anybody know how much of the time ( parameters) the vehicle should be in 4 cylinder mode? I recently went to the Frank Brown Songwriters' Festival in Gulf Shores, and averaged 19.86 for the entire trip. This suggests to me that my Tahoe stayed in 4 cylinder mode a fair amount.
I kinda wonder the same thing, I had a 08 crew cab 373 gear 5.3 and on flat ground perfect condition at 60mph i could watch the instant FE and as long as it was doing 21mpg on v8 mode it would switch to v4 and then run 24-26 and if it would drop to 20mpg it would switch back to v8. Im really thinking with the new genV and a lot less weight a 5.3 will see 25mpg pretty consistently and the 6.2 should do a little better by judging my 2011 6.2 max 373 gear on the same roads im getting 20-21 consistently so with the genV 6.2 v4 mode i believe it will stay in v4 mode even more do to the way more low end tq then the 5.3. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any word on when the 8spd will be out? Ive heard the end of 2013. I didnt want to get and all new truck without it all being new. Is there still a sub with the bose? I see that there is 2 big speakers in the corners of the dash so i wonder if the ones in the door are the subs or if its still in the console

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to say i love the new trucks but just have a few complaints like no ac/heater vents for the back and it would also be nice to have cup holders on the back of the console like the f150 but other then that i really like it far better then my 2011. Ive been wondering what the bolted in cross member is that u can see hanging under the red truck on motor trends pics the blue one and gold one dont have it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Please tell me you pulled through and banned him!

Like the Ext cab and 8 ft bed?

I am guessing those are heat ducts, what about ac to point at you in the hot summer? Back of the console, in the ceiling like the suv's?

The two things I don't like about the Sierra are the wheel well moldings, can they be removed or deleted? It is kind of cheap and out of place looking as well as another care point when they could fade in the Texas sun. Two, not a big fan of the projector headlights, I could do with or with out them but prefer with out.

Great job GM, hope they keep it available to get a well equipped mid-level truck (bose, dual ac and cloth seats). Does the Z71 come with 20's now? Please tell me no!

Tyler
Thats kinda what i was thinking on the vents also. My 04 had vents in the back of the console i dont see whats so hard about it. 20's are also an option on z71

·
Registered
31 Posts
The pickuptrucks.com videos from yesterday were informative in reguards to the longer rear doors and how they achieved the additional rear seat leg room. They moved the B-pillar and lengthend the rear door and shortened the front door and increased the angle of the rear seat to more upright position. Not really what I would have expected. I am now concerned about the room inside the already cramped regular cabs. For some reason I doubt they designed 2 different front doors, and the spy pics are not indicating much if any space change behind the seat.
Looks like the same room to me as a normal reg cab. The doors are different if you look the top right corner how it rounds and on the crew cab they are squared off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.