GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
How about a turbo V8 :D

I really hope the new interiors are on par with or better than Ford's. The rear section of all the current GM trucks/suv's is a huge reason why I'm at least waiting for the next generation to come out. I want big rear seat and storage areas, and a better center console and bigger buttons for functionality. The King Ranch super duty is about the nicest interior in any real car on the market today.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I agree that GM should offer the 6'6" bed in the 1500's. Ford does it, but you can't select the top of the line 6.2L engine in any configuration. You are stuck with either the 5.0L or the gay ecoboost engine. Kinda defeats the point of making the truck bigger, if you aren't going to offer the biggest engine along with it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yinz need to chill, the Chevy will still hold its own, and GMC will be the refined, upscale, luxury version. Hating on Cadillac now? Cadillac absolutely tromps anything the rest of the world makes between its CTS-V and Escalade. Best sedan and SUV in the world, respectively.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They should make a Cadillac truck. Like the EXT except without all that plastic garbage.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I agree, the top trims should have the option for 4x4 OR AWD. At least they were smart enough to put 4x4 in the Heavy Duty Denalis :D

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Front end looks too much like the car/minivan front ends that GM uses. Its nice, but not bold

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
This might have mattered to me 4 years ago before GM opened my eyes to the rest of the automotive world, but now I am looking for any replacement for my Burb that ISN'T a GM.

I think these changes sound good, but I am tired of GM's HP and torque ratings that they then diminish with torque management.

Which engines are you referring to? All the newer V8's were pretty throaty in my own experience with them. The 4.8 (low end only, high end was pretty bad), 5.3 was well balanced and made for a good mid-grade V8 (only drove with 4 speed), and the 6.2 is good, but the transmission (6 speed) seemed to hunt for gears too long.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Of course I've heard of torque management, but I don't think its a GM-only exclusive thing. I hate the torque management in my Vortec 4200 I6.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Why not a twin-turbo V8? I guarantee it would be more 'fuel efficient' than the ecoboost. All those cylinders just have to work harder to produce the same amount of power, and it gets the same mpg as GM's V8's anyway. Add direct injection and turbo and cylinder deactivation and I don't see how it can't be class leading in every category.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I liked the 2003-2006 silverado front ends better than the 2002. the same range GMC's were nice also. The GMT 900 front end for chevy with the 3 piece bumper is pretty bad. i see several new chevy hd's on the road now with the full front bumper and it stands out and looks so much cleaner. still not the best looking front end, but a huge improvement.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I agree that GM's are the most reliable of the 3, with the best powertrain/transmission combinations. Overall though, the Fords are really nice. Especially the top trim levels and the features they have. Granted I don't need that fancy in-dash computer, but the power telescoping mirrors, solid front axle, tall ride height, huge cabin space, and just overall feel I think is the best. Driveability, GM is the best. Though the new Dodges drive nice too, in regards to steering and acceleration feel. The rest of the truck just lacks the premium feel of the other 2.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The current hybrid system that GM runs in its full size trucks and SUV's is a gimmick. I drove around a Yukon Denali Hybrid and averaged just barely 17 mpg total. That's maybe 1/2 gallon better than a regular one (6.2L). Pretty much only engages when the car is stopped (at idle).

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
@AndrewGS

so, a $10k premium for the yukon denali justifys a "claimed" 1-2 mpg improvement?

With my own experience, there were only marginal differences in gas mileage, meaning to me its not worth the cost of ownership, nor the cost of the premium. and i like to know when idling that my truck is actually on, and not just in battery mode.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yes, more stuff to malfunction and maintain = increased operating costs. $6,800 premium with more power? It gets considerably less power than the 6.2L you'd get in a regular Denali. Case in point, trucks and suv's as big as the ones we are talking about are not made for good gas mileage. They are the way they are for a reason. The cost of the hybrids still just doesn't justify the "savings" you incur, which in my opinion, over a 10-year period would not be worth it, considering I highly doubt you could go 10 years without having a considerable amount of work done to the hybrid system/battery.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Oh, you want to compare Denali Hybrid to regular Denali now? Well, true you lose some power, but the economy gains go up to 7MPG City and 6MPG combined, that's a $1,000 per year in fuel savings. That means you'll make up the difference in price in 5 years and then it's all savings, again, to the tune of $1,000 per year.

Why do you think the Hybrid system is more troublesome? I bought a new 2005 Silverado and went through two transmissions and three torque converters in the 67,000 miles I owned it at a huge cost, luckily taken care of by the warranty. No Hybrid system there.

Also, what's to maintain on the Hybrid system? Nothing. The batteries will last at least 10 years, about enough time to break even on the extra cost of the truck, but you've used less fuel and therefore less oil over it's life. Even then the batteries just deteriorate a little over time, they don't up and die.

You say that trucks aren't meant to get good mileage, but the GM 2-Mode Hybrid system breaks that mold and allows at least 20MPG around town in a full-size truck or SUV. That's something nobody else can offer.

If you hate Hybrids just say so, but don't try to dismiss GM's class-exclusive technology as a gimmick.

I will never buy anything battery powered. Yes, those EPA rated numbers... if that's what your argument is, then its not very strong. I told you, I demo'd each Denali for a month, put about 4k miles on each one. Only got about 1 mpg more with the hybrid. The transition wasn't "smooth," the engine ran rather course, and the overall drivability was severely diminished overall.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
For those who want a different front suspension for better ground clearance; I took a really close look at a 2011 Super Duty 6.7 PS today. As it creaked to a stop (not sure why) next to me in the grocery store parking lot, I stayed put just to look it over real close. I wasn't all that convinced it had more off-road capability because I saw the big front I beams and transmission crossmember hanging pretty darn low. I could also plainly see oil filters and cooling lines that just seemed too low and close for comfort if I was off roading. It really made me realize how I like the cleaner look of the Silverado and appreciate the awesome frame and drivetrain. It really wouldn't take much of a refresh to the interior and cosmetics to make the current Silverado HD a homerun. As far as the frame and undercarriage goes, only thing I'd change is that darn DEF tank and a new Duramax exhaust. I like the way the current design allows you to easily change the front height.

Well, there isn't much dispute that solid front axle is going to perform better for off road. Enter Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Power Wagon. Yes, the Hummer H1 is fully independent, but its built differently. When you have IFS and rear axle, it won't be quite as good. I still am going to have to disagree with the ground clearance thing, there is a noticeable difference between Ford and GM. Coming from a GM guy, the Ford sits much higher. The GM's forward rake makes the front half of the truck sit lower, but I haven't personally used the trim level adjustment to see how high or low it goes. Another thing that cripples the GM market is those damn sporty wheel wells. From the factory, the Ford is much easier to build up because of larger wheel wells and more forgiving suspension travel, including the front axle. Neither truck is perfect, if you want the better on-road performer, I'd get the GM, if you want something that has a nice interior and a bit more capability off road, go with the Ford. I hope the new HD's have power mirrors like the Ford, a large crew cabin, and solid front axle option.

Interesting note about the same 9" ground clearance though. But if you put an F250 and Sierra2500 facing each other and take a look, you have a lot more room underneath the Ford. You could pretty much crawl under it, whereas you'd have to slither under the Sierra. I was checking out a GMC Sierra 3500 Denali at the dealer, looked underneath, and the driveshaft was completely rusted. WTF? I thought it would at least have an aluminum cover... but it was completely rusted.

All in all its a hard call (hey that rhymes). I'm still up in the air on which to go with. The Dodge Cummins go for about 8-10k less, I've seen ones on Ebay fully loaded Laramie/Longhorns for about 51k, whereas the same for the Ford/GM would be around 60k. The Dodge's interior is too cheap for my taste, but the Mega Cab is pretty sick. The body is greatly designed too, with good materials, door seals, and just looks imposing. I hate the manual flip up and fold mirrors though.

The Fords got all the goodies, and the luxury of the King Ranch package. I think the front end looks badass, and less the cheapish rear fender flares on the dually, it's pretty good looking. It does lack in the frame and suspension department though, especially now compared to the new GM HD's. Not too fond of the single turbo with its exhaust brake system either. The steering and brake pedal are numb, with 5.5 turns from lock to lock. I don't need all of the in-dash computer controls and diagnostics for off roading and stuff, and wish it didn't come standard with the upper trim levels (to save a few bucks).

The new GM HD's frame and suspension is an absolute perfection for on-road capability. The body isn't bad, but looks kinda wimpy compared to the other trucks, especially the smallish crew cab. It could also use larger, more round wheel wells, with larger standard tires. I think GM loses a good amount of sales to Ford because of the inability to build up the GM trucks as easily. I see A LOT more jacked up Fords than GMs. Absolutely love the Duramax/Allison, and it has the best exhaust brake in the segment. I think it feels the most solid too, opening and closing the doors and tailgate feels very snug and secure, and doing the same to the Ford yields a more unsettled feeling. I do hope they change the door lines on the new ones, I hate how the doors wrap up over the top of the cab, because it just gets bogged with water and snow, which is annoying when opening the door. Plus it adds to wind resistance and noise; GM needs to take a play out of the F-150 or Dodge Ram playbooks to see how to design their doors. I like the standard auto locker as opposed to the electric locker too, and GM is the only brand that offers it in the duallys.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the Big 3. They will all perform well in most situations, and it comes down to personal preference and what you want when it turns into your daily driver. I hope all 3 trucks could culminate into one super mega awesome truck that can be custom ordered from the factory. :D

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Plus, those battery packs aren't filled with edible cream filling. Essentially we have mini-nuclear power pants running around in our cars and trucks.

Look, there is only so far you can push an internal combustion engine. You aren't going to get far beyond 40mpg in ANY car without the assistance of other energy. In other words, why spend so much tech and resources to saving a gallon or two, when you could just put turbos in the V8's and get better mileage. Look at the new diesels... more power, MUCH more power, and improved gas mileage. It's either electric, or its gasoline/diesel powered. Combining the two is just a waste.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
LOL. Bringing politics into my assumptions when I have stated over and over its an unnecessary premium cost, and its going to cost more to maintain and operate, and you can't work on it yourself. Who can work on them? Dealers. How much are they going to charge? A boat load. If you want to do a case study where 2 people buy a Yukon Denali, one buys the hybrid, and do a 10-year cost to operate comparison. They have to consistently be driven in the same manner as well as distance. I guarantee 100% the regular Denali will be cheaper over a 10-year period. I don't think this is really an arguable topic, its common sense. Consider the fact that I can work on about 50% of a normal trucks parts right now, add in this advanced hybrid system, and it probably drops to 30%. All the computerness and gadgets aren't going to come cheap.

@Smith7629 What do you mean you agree with me, but not for the new ones? The new ones have basically 400HP, 800TQ, and get BETTER gas mileage than previous generations, because of better use of turbos.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I've seen that new Power wagon commercial several times now. That thing is fantastic! Cool commercial too. That's how my SD gets used as well. I don't recall Ford ever having an offroad/trail type commercial like that. Nor Chevy for that matter. Here it is for those who haven't seen it. I wouldn't trade my SD for one (not really a Dodge guy) but it's cool nonetheless.

And those new Chevy frames are still pretty low. I crawled under one on Saturday. No way I could slide all the way across underneath. My Super Duty I can easily. A little kid could hide out underneath there in a good game of hide and seek. Tons of room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0f8MtXNcI4

Sierra All-Terrain concept needs to go into fruition. But yes, the Power Wagon is very capable. The new ones offer an upper and lower trim level, to satisfy customer's needs. Dodge is 3rd on my list of 3, but an upper level trim package in that thing is very appealing to me.

Yes so you know what I mean about the low-hang of the frame under the chassis part of the cab. Like I said before, the Duramax will dominate the truck category in on-road performance, but its so stuff and lacks the flexibility and articulation for off-road that it just wouldn't perform as well. The auto rear locker helps greatly versus limited slip, but if it buries the frame its not going anywhere. Couple that with its harder to build up, and if guys do build it up, they change out the front end to a solid axle one.

1 - 19 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.