GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Good info.
Can't hardly believe all the crazy banter of which one is better Chevy or GMC, 11 pages and not one picture for fokes to look and decide which one they like best. I am not super brand loyal to any of them, I have bought more GM trucks than any other brands, some years chevys are the better looking to me and other years GMCs are. I currently have a GMC pickup and Chevy SUV. I just bought the ones I liked the looks of best. Throughout the 800 series I started out liking them both a lot, leaning a little GMC, then the last ones 06/07classics I was very partial to the chevy.

In general though they have always been about the same as far as available options and price, just styling cues were different. I think its been that way since the 1950s.

I bought the GMC in 2010 because to me it was toned down in its styling over what to me was the over the top exaggerated body lines of the chevy. If what has been said here about the GMC is true, I am probably one that will prefer the Chevy styling in this next generation. Unless something major has changed I doubt there will be much difference in the option list for either truck, I mean that in the since I bet it stays pretty much like it is now, where if the option is available on the Chevy it will be on the GMC as well, I am sure there will be new options, but I suspect they will be offered on both version.

I am going to wait for some more details and some pictures of the trucks before I cast my vote or write any checks to buy one or the other.

·
Registered
858 Posts
True there are specialty models for both brands, and the occasional odd option here and there. But the vast majority of the trucks that are sold can be had in either brand with identical options and virtually identical prices. Only difference is generally just the styling. Which I think its great that GM plays it safe by building both versions. I think this way they have two shots rather then one at hitting a consumers hot buttons on the styling.

As what bed and cab configs they are going to offer, I keep thinking that it could go either way, GM could take the cheap route and cater to only the masses like Dodge has, Dodge has only 2 Wheelbases, reg cab long bed sits on same wheelbase as the ext cab 6 foot bed, as well as the crew with the 5 foot bed. The other is the regular cab with 6 foot bed. Thats all dodge offers. Ford is the only game in town for a crew half ton with a 6 foot bed. Unless Toyo or Nissan offers one, I don't really follow the import trucks that close.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The only 1500 to be available with the 454 was the Chevy... and no fullsize GMC model offered performance that was as good as that truck.

My point stands: GM gave the performance fullsize truck to Chevy and the performance compact truck to GMC.

If GMC was clearly "the performance brand" for trucks, like you seem to think, then GM would have given the "muscle truck" RCSB 454 halfton to GMC, or at least let the GMC buyers order it. They did not.
I think your 100% correct. There was a similar GMC version that I think was called a sport, that only offered a 350. I believe the 454SS was Chevy only.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think we should be seeing Spy shots poping up around the net before to long, with production set to start Q1 2013, I would think they would have to have some mules out running up and down the hyways testing at this stage.

I hope they have something on par with the new Ford engines and interiors, maybe something on par with the Platinum model F150. The GMT900 is getting pretty long in the tooth. I have owned a few and I am still not all that impressed with current model. Other then a few minor interior improvements, and the addition of the 6 speed, I like the GMT800 much better then the 900s. I sure hope they do a better job this time.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Anyone think it might look a little like a bigger version of this?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I know I would be a lot more accepting of the Ford Ecoboost concept, had Ford kept the V8 even at a small displacement. Say maybe a 4.6 or in GMs case maybe revamped 4.8L or something all new. I do believe they would have to keep the displacemnt small to keep the city MPGs up.

·
Registered
858 Posts
And the next gen trucks will just further the lead GM has in truck design.
I Can't really grasp GM as a truck design leader. Seems that Ford has held that title for quite a while, and Dodge has had some game changers as well. Neither have the reliabilty reputation that GM has. I can't really remember the last great game changing idea GM has had in the way of there truck line. A lot of great trucks over the years, but design leader I am not really seeing it, at least not in the past several decades. I would probably give the 70s to Ford, 80s to Ford, part of the 90s to Dodge, and most of the 2000s to ford maybe a year here and there in the 2000s to Dodge.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am aware of the Hybrid. But really what is the advantages of it ???
For what the option cost, it will never pay out, the fuel mileage is really nothing special. Ford put Hybrids where they belong in small city type applications. Nothing really new, there have been other hybrid cars on the market long before. I pose the theory that the main reason it is the only Hybrid Pickup on the market today, is because it never has to this day sold well. If it had every one else would have followed GM. The EB V6 has more power and gets better mileage and cost a whole lot less then the GM hybrid, so which one is leading the way. The GMT400s were great trucks,I owned at least 4 of them during there production period. However IMO the main thing GM did with that truck was finally introduce an extended cab. Ford had those back in the 70s, Dodge had then has well. As far as the driver information center, Ford had those in there trucks back in the mid to late 90s.

I pose the question, what has GM done that was so sought after that all of the others followed suit with in the past 40 years of truck designs.

Keep in mind I own 2 GMs and only one Ford product at the moment. The reason is, I have always and still do, really like GM products.

My only point was that I could not think of really any game changing ideas that GM has brought to market with there truck devision . When I think Game changing innovation, I think of successful features. The Hybrid was as big a flop as quad steering.

·
Registered
858 Posts
No, a $6,875 premium with more power and torque as well as a 5MPG City and 4MPG combined fuel economy advantage is justified. You'll save $584 per year.

Cost of ownership? You SAVE money on gas.

That's why they have an "Auto Stop" readout on the tachometer. ;)
The Batteries are not cheap and from what I had read about a lot of the hybrids on the market, the batteries were good for around 60,000 miles and cost thousands to replace. So the hybrid may save some gas, but will never workout to a payback at any point that I can tell. I don't think the Hybrid would have ever taken off like the EB has for Ford marketing or not. Me, I have 0 intrust in ever owning a Hybrid truck, as far as I am concerned the option could be free and I would not have it.

I also think your kidding yourself if you think 50% of the market would ever bought the quadrasteer regardless of marketing or configuration.

If memory serves Ford was still outselling Chevy even in the GMT400 era. The biggest contributor to the explosion of pickup and suv ownership had a lot more to do with the EPA killing large powerful comfortable cars rather then something that can be pined to one particular truck model or truck brand.

3rd doors were not that big of a deal, GM rolled theres out in 97 or 98 cant remeber when Ford did theres for sure but I was thinking it was around the same time they launched there new 97 body style. GM I for some reason thought followed Ford on that one.

·
Registered
858 Posts
There was a lot of press in recent years about hazmat training for fire and rescue workers when working Hybrid accidents.

I think there are few hundred pounds worth of batteries under the back seat of the hybrid Tahoes.
I think there is also a difference in hazzmat items out under the hood vs under your seat.
The Batteries in a Hybrid car are not exactly the same risk as the tiny little battery in your phone.

I am apparently more in line with the masses in not wanting the Hybrid or the GM Quadsteer. You can keep drinkning that GM Coolaid all you want.

Based on design to market times, I am still not sure whom would have come up with the 3rd door idea first. Ford would have had the Truck in RD likley several years prior to its launch in 96 as an 97 Model. GM had them in a very limmited production in 96 if I remember correctly it was also a late realease and it was mid design cycle addaptaion, where Ford I belive had it in there 97 design from the start. Even toward the end of the 400 design cycle the 3rd door was still not getting a 100% take rate on extended cabs, I want to say it was more in the 50% range. So I just didn't see it as a major game changer at the time. I was in the business back in those days We had them both ways on the lot with and without the 3rd door. I also seem to recall wind noise issues, rattle issue with them, I just don't remember them as being a big deal.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Like the wheels.
Can't wait to see the rest.

I had read a rummor that the truck might be shown at the Detroit show next month, anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Now that I've seen more of the the 2012 Silverado, I must admit that the front looks much improved over the 2011s. I think it's a hopeful hint that Chevrolet is bringing back tasteful styling again, and the 2014s will look "right". The 2011 grille and lights were too forced... too many diagonal lines.
I agree, I finally can say that I could actually handle the look of the 900 Chevy, enough that I would concider owning one anyway, there was no way before the 2012's Chevy's face lift. Its still not my favorite, but neither is the GMC 900 version.

Some of the best looking trucks every made, IMO were the original 800s both GMC and Chevy prior to there 03' mid cycle face. Someone at GM must have thought so too, since the original front clips stayed all the way through the 800's cycle on the SUV's, only the pickups got screwed up mid cycle.

I hope this new series whatever they call it (GMT1000???) looks as good as the 800s did. I think they could both use some toning down of the over exagerated fenders, and maybe stamp a body line or two back into the doors.

·
Registered
858 Posts
What changed from 2011 to 2012? I guess I don't see it.
I believe only the chevy got the face lift for 2012. Chevy ditched the odd looking plastic caps on the ends of the front bumper, then also updated the grill.
Basically the Chevy has a chrome front bumper now, rather then a chrome accented front bumper. Not major change in terms of cost, but to me it was a major improvement in looks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sierras got a slightly revised grille.
I thought so too, but I think what GMC did was make the optional chrome (horizontal bars) grill std on most models. I was helping a buddy put together a deal on a 2011 and was not able to find one like he wanted and ended up with a 12' and I really cant find any differences at all, his has the optional honeycome chrome grill that was optional on 2011s as well.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It looked to me like they just put chrome plastic end caps on instead of colored ones. They should have Fixed the bumper like they did on the 2011HD. The chrome mesh grilles I've seen on the new ones make it look like a chrome overdose to me. That whole truck has been a disaster in design from day 1. Whoever gave the green light on that should have been fired. The Sierra was fine. I think the Silverado would have sold in far higher numbers if it had the Sierra body and front end. Then just had a bar acrossed it with the Bowtie while the Sierra just said 'GMC' in the open area like it does. Chevy lost my money to Ford this time and the looks played a huge role in that for me.
I agree a completly new solid bumper would have been nice, but having looked at them in person, I am pretty sure the new end caps are chrome plated metal, the lower center piece in the 4 piece bumper was still platic but was changed to silver from black to mimick an all chrome bumper.

I just hope the 500 pounds GM is planning to cut out of these trucks doesn't spell all plastic bumpers like the Suv's.

·
Registered
858 Posts
One other thing I just happened to notice was that the user interface for the 2012 Navigation system in GMT900s has been updated/changed. Apparently the new one has a hard drive in it too!

I wonder if that could be retrofitted into an earlier model?!
I was wondering the same thing, the new Nav not only has a hard drive, but I understand that it also get something similar to travel link that is a sat provided service that can project weather data including radar, at least that is what I was told. I have the Ford sync Nav in my F150 and I love the travel link system. The other improvement to the new Nav is the camera function is now similar to Fords, in that it is supose to have guide lines in it for 2012. I have nav in my GMC and Tahoe, but my Ford's Nav puts both my GMs to shame.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I find all the talk of moving GMC upscale to be a little de, ja, vue. The Denali pkg has been sort of filling that niche for a decade or so now, I really don't see them doing much more then that when its all said and done. I know there are some pretty large commercial GMC dealers out there and they would be out of business if GMC no longer offered the WT, and SL pkg trucks. I will believe the upscale BS when I see it. It sounds good every time they do a redesign to talk up one brand this way and the other that way. But I bet when the new models hit and everything is said and done, we have about what we have now just newer versions of them. I am not complaining, I am always glad they off two choices, because one is usually really ugly to me and I generally like the other. Some years I like the Chevys better, others I like the GMCs better. I owned several 800 series Chevy Pickups but its been 100% GMC since the 900s hit the market, the 12' Chevy is not too bad, I like what they did with the front for 12's.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You can probably get a decent comparison by looking at a current Suburban with a solid rear axle vs the Ford Expedition EL with IRS. Both body on frame V8 pickup based SUVs.
I have had both of the current generation Expy and Burbs. The solid axle burb was nearly as smooth daily driving, but put a trailer behind them the Suburban felt much more in control of the trailer.
For towing purposes, I am all for leaving the solid rear axle alone.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I went back a couple pages and got tired of reading misc toyota drama, where was the post about the push back on realease dates and interior debalcle.

I thought it looked production ready to me, very similar to Fords 2013 approach with a smaller non NAV screen accompanied with a larger NAV version on high end models. GM's looked like an area setup for a much larger screen for the premium package trucks and the one in the spy pic was a more mid line package truck without the larger Nav screen. It didn't strike me as a bad design, seemed to follow there design trends in the new cars being released this year. It also looked a lot better then the current 900 mid line pkg LT1 or SLE today.

I also cant see why they would fire anyone they pay to drive a truck around on public streets just because someone took a pic. I just cant see how that was the drivers fault. If they didn't want that sort of thing to happen then they should tint the windows or keep the trucks hiden on the GM proving grounds.

Also I thought the Texas Fair was Later this month (late September - early October), not last month. I really thought they would be debuting at least a couple teaser models there.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The dash seems to follow really close to other recent released chevy cars. I think it would look a lot different if it had the larger Nav screen in place of that small screen. I am pretty confidant that is one of several interior options and likly one of 2 differnt dash designs if not more counting the other two brands GMC, Cadillac that use this platform. I still find it hard to believe GM would sponsor the TX fair this year and not launch the truck or at least wet peoples appitite with a teaser model or 2 on display.

They can put them up on spinning tables so people cant see the interior if that was a real concern. The next big possible launch point I would think could only be the Detroit show that has gone really green the past few years, and not likley a good truck market to launch in, its my best gues that if they dont do something in Texas later this month, it might not happen till Chicago which I believe is not till next Feb.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.