GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Gotta factor frontal area and large side view mirrors into the mix when it comes to hwy mileage on a full size truck. The really big jump in economy will come from e-assist. There is only so much they can do with additional gears and afm.
IMO they will not get really good mileage numbers until the get these trucks closer to the pavement. I know they won't look macho but trucks in the '50-70s weren't jacked up in the air and nobody seemed to mind.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Everytime I look at the diesel powered hds I go back to the max trailer package with the 403 hp gas motor. EPA hwy is 19.
Motor trend is doing a test on a hd average mpg is 14. For my purposes gas makes more sense and is cheaper to own and operate.
I can understand why people need the hds and need the diesels but they weigh 1000lbs more because of the frame and you are hauling that weight around all the time.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The diesels are more efficient at what they do compared to a gasoline engine. If you put a 15,000lb trailer on that gasoline truck, and 15,000lb trailer on the diesel, the diesel will pull it much more easily, and with less fuel consumed. Yes, diesel costs a bit more to maintain because of the fuel, urea, and most major repairs will not be easy/cheap. However, diesels on average last much longer than a conventional gas engine.
I understand pulling a lot of weight but are the hds and diesels that necessary for 25-50 percent of the people that buy them? If you pull a 2500-7000 lb boat or trailer the 6.2l should do just fine. I've heard from people that have 10,000 lb trailers that the 6.2l really struggles.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Gm is tring to reduce weight. adding an IRS would not help that cause. If you've ever seen a cutaway of the camaro's IRS it is obvious why it weighs so much.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I think 500 lbs can be taken off without to much pain:
2012 Chevy Tahoe 2wd. 5486 lbs.
Aluminum block 5.3l -80 lbs. 5406 lbs.
Hybrid body parts: aluminum bumper bar , hood, tailgate,nforged wheels, lighter seats
-250 lbs. 5156 lbs.
Removal of third row seats - 120 lbs. 5036 lbs.
Removal of full size spare -55lbs 4981 lbs.

Obviously the third row and spare tire are freebies and things that you will want, but removal of 500 lbs In the '14s will be fairly easy without resorting to an aluminum frame.

Plus getting a GMT900 trucks ( or the '14s)below 5000 lbs is definitely going to improve around town economy and acceleration. Lowering the truck would be the next step for improved hwy economy.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
We all have to remember that Sheet metal thickness is not always an indicator of strength. If that was the only case, cars would be growing thicker and heavier every year. Houses and buildings would be larger... etc...

The makeup of the metalurgy has changed over the years. I'm not saying the entire body is wrapped in high strength steel, because that would be expensive as heck, but the steel has improved. Either way the body panels range in thickness on all modern trucks anywhere from 20-24 guage. From one panel to the next. But they are also more plyable now (on some panels) while retaining strength. Lessening the chances for dents and dings.

Hey I don't hear anyone complaining about the thickness of the metal used on the camaro lol. (which uses the same process that the trucks use to stamp the shapes out). The whole industry is trying to go towards lighter and stronger, not heavier and weaker.
Have you sighted down the side of the new trucks? The panels and doors are wrinkled and wavy.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Ohh boy is the ignorance thick with this one. Nothing nice to say about a truck you've got ZERO experience with. Good for you!

Have fun with the Dodge, lease it so they'll take it back, on second thought buy it outright and see if they'll skip the warranty for you.
I priced out a ''12 ram express in the spring. Did both lease and buy and the lease was not a deal at all. So no sale. Great thing about GM is their lease deals are awesome.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I don't really mean to rehash, just wishful thinking that GM will use thicker metal or stampit more times on the new vehicles. Or maybe the design of the new trucks will a body design that partially hides the stamping issues.
I literally see it on every single truck and suv. although it is more apparent on the darker colors.

Granted the gmt 900s are very slab sided.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I wish they would go crazy on the Tahoe rebates. Im looking at a LS and they aren't good.
Dealer's in my area are advertising about $8500 off on the pickups.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Re: aluminum doors. Some of you may remember that when Porsche/vw redesigned the Cayenne/toureag a few years ago that they were 400 lbs lighter. Much of that weight came out of the doors.

Also the gmt 900 hybrids have an aluminum hood and an aluminum tailgate with a fixed rear window.

I guess an aluminum roof would be another option.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I just went to Chevy's website and I was unable to spec a 6.2L in any ext cab, long box configuration.

I do realize Chevy's build configurator is not always accurate, but according to it, you cannot get a 6.2L in a ext cab/long box.
Did you chose max trailering option in a LT trim or higher.

edit: you said ext cab/long box is that option still available? arent all ext cab short boxes unless you go 2500 or higher?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The high feature V6 reportedly only goes to 4.0l so this is probably a gen 5 LS(assuming GM stays with the LS family) with 2 cylinders lopped off.
If that is what it is, it wll certainly have a low end tq advantage over the 3.7 ford and 3.6 Chrysler.
Doubt it will be super smooth though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.