GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1780 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's some tid bits for ya, mostly good news. (I won't reveal my source or any specific info that would damage GM's competetive stance):

2014 trucks (release first quarter 2013)
New non-turbo V6 across the board (likely LFX), around 315 Hp
6 speed auto across the board, inc reg cabs, V6, etc
This will give class leading MPG..... (25+mpg??? Hint Hint)
4.8 liter a goner
Gen V V8's: 5.3 liter, 350hp, more efficiency (DI, gears, etc)
optional 6.2 liter, 425hp
*E-assist coming to trucks*
The best part: the Sierra looks PHENOMINAL and will blow people away, and doesnt look like a chevy, which will be the more "work truck" kinda feel and more "vanilla". Sorry Chevy guys. GM is aiming to increase GMC sales ALOT. Yukon/Tahoe is said to look several generations ahead of the current ones. Will also blow away competition.

Only thing I'm dissapointed with about the news is the low HP figure for the 5.3 liter. It needs to match the Ford 5.0.

*Please keep in mind this post is from 09-29-2011! Some of the insider source information has changed/been updated as GM has continued the development of the finalized truck. There is over 100+ pages of discussion for you to enjoy :)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Even if this is all true, not that I doubt Bvonscott, these vehicles are still a year and a half away +/-... The competition, mainly Ford, is not going to be standing still with their trucks. GM has to bring their "A" game to the fight this time. Ford is deservedly taking much of the pick up market without having to give massive rebates like GM has over the past two years.

At the very least, the Tahoe and Yukon dominate their segment... They should continue to do so in the next generation.

I'm okay with the 5.3 producing 350hp, as long as the torque is there and the fuel economy is increased... Perhaps by 10%? Wishful thinking...:)

I am intrigued with the possibility of eAssist coming to GM's trucks. I am curious to see with which powertrain it's paired... 3.6? 5.3? As of right now, eAssist has been designed to work with the 2.4, with speculation that it may be engineered to work with the 3.6 and eventually the new 2.5.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any word on whether they will have AFM or not? If so, did they change/improve it? i.e. Make it 8/6 instead of 8/4 and make it stop consuming oil.
I'd assume AFM stays. It'd be too complicated and wouldnt provide enough extra MPG to do 8/6 so I wouldnt ever expect that. And it doesnt consume alot of oil in mine or most others, I think you have a unique problem (sorry about that man)

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if this is all true, not that I doubt Bvonscott, these vehicles are still a year and a half away +/-... The competition, mainly Ford, is not going to be standing still with their trucks. GM has to bring their "A" game to the fight this time. Ford is deservedly taking much of the pick up market without having to give massive rebates like GM has over the past two years.

At the very least, the Tahoe and Yukon dominate their segment... They should continue to do so in the next generation.

I'm okay with the 5.3 producing 350hp, as long as the torque is there and the fuel economy is increased... Perhaps by 10%? Wishful thinking...:)

I am intrigued with the possibility of eAssist coming to GM's trucks. I am curious to see with which powertrain it's paired... 3.6? 5.3? As of right now, eAssist has been designed to work with the 2.4, with speculation that it may be engineered to work with the 3.6 and eventually the new 2.5.
Yes, GM is bringing their A game. So heres to hoping that the 5.3 does in fact have huge amounts of torque. It needs to stomp all over Ford and the rest since it is the high selling engine. I'd assume e-assist can be paired with any engine really, but I expect it will be on a "ECO" trim of the 3.6 LFX. Oh and you can pretty much take my info to the bank on my first post as of this time. NSAP can chime in here. Things may change by start of production but I doubt it as the development is well under way...

·
Banned
5,521 Posts
I'd assume AFM stays. It'd be too complicated and wouldnt provide enough extra MPG to do 8/6 so I wouldnt ever expect that. And it doesnt consume alot of oil in mine or most others, I think you have a unique problem (sorry about that man)
Well, mine consumes no oil now, AFM has been disabled for the past 3 years or so.

It is most definitely NOT an isolated issue, it is very common. Oil consumption and faulty lifters. There was even a TSB for it and supposedly GM was designing new lifters, but I never heard if that actually happened or not.

Unless I hear that they fixed their crappy AFM design, it likely will be the only thing preventing me from buying a GM truck next time around. I am hoping/assuming it will be improved/fixed in the new engines though.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Sounds about right. They want to distance Chevy from the "only makes gas guzzling trucks" and GMC commands some presence that makes people spend more money on them vs. Chevy.

I'm glad to hear Granite DNA is being put into the upcoming truck as it was fantastic.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I guess I have to decide whether to get a new Tahoe, Silvy, or buy a dually....or just keep my current AVY....since I see no news about the great Avalanche, I guess this will be the last version...what a shame GM

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This all correlates with what I have heard.

All of the truck V8's will have AFM.
Thanks for re-affirming NSAP.

BTW guys, these were not just pics of the trucks, actual in the flesh built driveable trucks. The engineering is done so whatever were getting come 2013 is there, though im sure over the next year minor changes and massaging will be going on.

To answer a previous queation there is no change in the duramax. AFIK

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Well, it looks like the end of a LONG streak (currently at 21 years) of GMC trucks in my garage. :(

Unless they can show that they improved the AFM system, my next truck will likely be a F150.
I think when you realize that the design of the Gen V V8's is dramatically different from today's, you will realize how bizarre the above statement is.

1 - 20 of 1780 Posts