GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

SEATTLE -- The mayor wants to transform the city's gas-guzzling taxis into eco-friendly rides. But some taxi drivers say going green will cost them too much green.

Under the Mayor Greg Nickels' climate-friendly cab plan, drivers will have to trade in their cabs for a $21,000 hybrid counterpart. That number isn't sitting so well with the city's cab drivers.

"It's a huge difference," said driver Mangit Singh. "We can buy this car at a police auction for five grand, six grand."

Full Story

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Under the Mayor Greg Nickels' climate-friendly cab plan, drivers will have to trade in their cabs for a $21,000 hybrid counterpart.
Translation: Under the Mayor Greg Nickels' climate-friendly cab plan, drivers will have to trade in their cabs for a prius. Amounts to nothing more than a massive sale for toyota.

And is there actually any penalty for not switching? I wouldn't switch from a Crown Vic to a prius even if the mayor held a gun to my head.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Translation: Under the Mayor Greg Nickels' climate-friendly cab plan, drivers will have to trade in their cabs for a prius. Amounts to nothing more than a massive sale for toyota.

And is there actually any penalty for not switching? I wouldn't switch from a Crown Vic to a prius even if the mayor held a gun to my head.
They can always switch to Escape Hybrids like a number of companies in NYC did, though I think we should know what the mayor is driving to see if he is going to lead the way, or if he is similar to other politicians who have the "green" image but drive gas guzzlers themselves.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
so, the mayor says a prius will save 10 grand in gas over the life of the cab. ok, heres some math:

1 crown vic = $5-6k
1 prius = $21k

21 - 5 = $16k

$16 - 10 = $6k - still 6 thousand in the hole.

ergo, they wont even recoup the cost of the hybrid, and thats barring any problems with the prius- noone knows what kind of torture one of those can take yet and for how long. the vic is proven. and if its true that the hybrid costs $2k more per year to insure, thats even worse.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
They can always switch to Escape Hybrids like a number of companies in NYC did, though I think we should know what the mayor is driving to see if he is going to lead the way, or if he is similar to other politicians who have the "green" image but drive gas guzzlers themselves.
Well, the article was oddly specific. It said a $21,000 hybrid...which is coincidentally the base price for a prius...hmmm...

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
And I seriously doubt the prius is built to take on the roughness experienced as a cab. The stupid thing will probably fall apart in the first 5 years, and the poor cabbies will have to buy another.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well, the article was oddly specific. It said a $21,000 hybrid...which is coincidentally the base price for a prius...hmmm...
Make a good point, though the Aura Green Line also runs in that price range and gets pretty good milage.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
True, very true...but I honestly can't see an Aura Green Line as a taxi...that'd be a shame...not to mention disgraceful.
Still be better looking and better handling then a Prius cab, though your right, I would hate to see it as a cab, because I love the Aura and what it has done for Saturn

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
This would be a nice problem to have if there were a two-mode zeta on sale. It would compliment the GM Hybrid busses. I am not a green preacher, but this move and several other cities and gov't agencies following would save a lot of fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
If he's going to demand it then he should either let them raise their rates or help pay for it. He wants more taxi's on the streets as well but he's trying to put a plan in place that will only encourage fewer taxi's.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
GM needs to build a taxi-specific car (like the London Taxi)....build a prototype and take orders. They can sell it to taxy companies, delivery services, etc in the USA and overseas if it's done correctly.

If they can take a stripped down car based off of whatever chassis they can get to meet the requirements for fuel economy and durability and price. Think about it...they won't have to worry about fancy trim, superior handling, etc. They could take whatever chassis that the Uplander sits on and design a box around it and power it with the two mode from the Tahoe....and sell it (and parts) to taxi companies for $20,000 a piece. It doesn't have to be uni-body...take an old Caprice chassis or whatever chassis they build those little postal trucks on.

It won't need curtain air bags or fog lights or big fancy wheels (think steel 15" wheels)....just what the government requires plus the durability and fuel economy that the taxi companies demand....and it would be more roomy than a Prius. It could be shaped like the Honda Element for all I care- they will mostly be in stop and go traffic anyways, so aerodynamics are not a big deal.

If they can do that and make fenders, powertrain components, and bumpers easily replaceable and interchangeable....I can see a market.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
GM needs to build a taxi-specific car (like the London Taxi)....build a prototype and take orders. They can sell it to taxy companies, delivery services, etc in the USA and overseas if it's done correctly.

If they can take a stripped down car based off of whatever chassis they can get to meet the requirements for fuel economy and durability and price. Think about it...they won't have to worry about fancy trim, superior handling, etc. They could take whatever chassis that the Uplander sits on and design a box around it and power it with the two mode from the Tahoe....and sell it (and parts) to taxi companies for $20,000 a piece. It doesn't have to be uni-body...take an old Caprice chassis or whatever chassis they build those little postal trucks on.

It won't need curtain air bags or fog lights or big fancy wheels (think steel 15" wheels)....just what the government requires plus the durability and fuel economy that the taxi companies demand....and it would be more roomy than a Prius. It could be shaped like the Honda Element for all I care- they will mostly be in stop and go traffic anyways, so aerodynamics are not a big deal.

If they can do that and make fenders, powertrain components, and bumpers easily replaceable and interchangeable....I can see a market.
The idea is good, however it would probably be voted down by GM management.

Maybe we should have a challenge here at GMI, and have members pick a platform and figure out how to make it work. It might be very interesting.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
And I seriously doubt the prius is built to take on the roughness experienced as a cab. The stupid thing will probably fall apart in the first 5 years, and the poor cabbies will have to buy another.

You're prpbably not aware of it but in Vancouver BC they've been using the Prius as taxi's for some owner since 2001. The ones that have been put into service have racked up 250,000+ miles.

In New York I believe that 20% (?) of the fleet are Prius'. There was a fight between the TLC and the owners where the TLC wouldn't approve them at first and the owners took the City to court to force it to allow the Prius to be used.

The article is certainly not an accurate appraisal, but it may be real in limited cases.
It's a huge difference," said driver Mangit Singh. "We can buy this car at a police auction for five grand, six grand."
If you read it it implies that all the taxis in Seattle are used vehicles purchased from the Police Dept at $6 grand each after the officers have beat the hell out of them for x-number of years. Maybe the vehicles the Mr Singh buys are these beaters. I doubt that very much that all taxis in Seattle come from the Police auctions.

It compares a new Prius to a used police cruiser, c'mon. Of course a new vehicle is going to cost more than a used beater. Compare a new Crown Vic taxi-fleet model to a new Prius and then do the math.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
It compares a new Prius to a used police cruiser, c'mon. Of course a new vehicle is going to cost more than a used beater. Compare a new Crown Vic taxi-fleet model to a new Prius and then do the math.
THAT IS THE POINT!!! they are being forced to buy NEW, when they haven't had to.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
THAT IS THE POINT!!! they are being forced to buy NEW, when they haven't had to.

SOME drivers!! Such as Mr Singh, not ALL drivers. Maybe if arriving at SeaTac you came out and had the option of choosing a taxi you might decide not to ride in Mr. Singh's beater over a newer one.

The article rationalizes from the specific to the general which is a logical fallacy. It may very well be that most new Seattle taxis are new Crown Vic's directly from Ford at $15-$16000 each. We don't know. From the article we only know about poor Mr. Singh squeezing a penny until Mr Lincoln's ****s turn blue.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I wonder how many situations would require taking 2 Prius cabs rather than 1 Vic?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts