Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scotland's electric Munro off-roader is tentatively headed to America
It has about 168 miles of driving range
RONAN GLON
Aug 29th 2022
autoblog.com

Scotland-based carmaker Munro has published photos of an electric, four-door off-roader aimed largely at commercial users. It designed the model with ruggedness and easy maintenance in mind, and it plans to sell its first car in the United States and Canada starting in 2023.

Visually, the body-on-frame Munro is characterized by a function-over-form design. It's tall, boxy, and it sits high off the ground, while flat body panels and relatively simple parts like round headlights keep production costs in check. In other words, it's more closely aligned with the trucks designed by Bollinger Motors than with, say, the GMC Hummer EV. Munro adds that it will offer multiple customization options.

Inside, there's not a lot going on — and that's intentional. Munro fitted its off-roader with individual front seats, a simple-looking flat dashboard, a three-spoke steering wheel, manual windows, and a tablet-like screen where you'd expect to find the instrument cluster.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Images courtesy of, and credited to, autoblog.com

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
1,500 Posts
This thing cost almost 90k, pretty damn pricey knockoff.

It is becoming ever increasingly clear, that the goal of the ev movement is to have a large majority of the population only able to afford the bus!
You're right, this extremely niche vehicle is the sign that the illuminati wants the large majority of the public to take the bus. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
37,221 Posts
Knockoff Hummer H2
Wait. Isn't Scotland, like, in, like England or Britain or something?

It is becoming ever increasingly clear, that the goal of the ev movement is to have a large majority of the population only able to afford the bus!
The peasantry was born and bred to CLEAN dirt off stuff, other better peoples' stuff, not drive around IN dirt making their vehicles all dirty and therefore extremely very cool and manly.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts

They had two new Ford Lightning XLT's at a local car show I went to this weekend. They were cool, but both owners had paid over $100K. That's a chunk of change for cloth seats.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Add this to the long list of EV's that "may come to America"....... :rolleyes:

Plus there is an EV Wrangler coming in 2 years, I betcha $90k would get you one.....

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
971 Posts
They had two new Ford Lightning XLT's at a local car show I went to this weekend. They were cool, but both owners had paid over $100K. That's a chunk of change for cloth seats.
The real issue is the secondary used market and how there won't be any with ev's. The battery's have all clearly shown they cant even make it 10 years and the replacement cost are sometimes as much as the god damn cost of the car. People now can go buy a used gasser for a few grand and get years of cheap use out of them, those days will be long gone and the poor to lower middle class will be stuck with mass transit!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Add this to the long list of EV's that "may come to America"....... :rolleyes:

Plus there is an EV Wrangler coming in 2 years, I betcha $90k would get you one.....
I predict a $38,000 base price for the Wrangler EV. The Rubicon starts at $42,100 (without the $1,600 destination charge).....far too much to pay for a box, I don't care what it can do off-road, that's expensive.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The real issue is the secondary used market and how there won't be any with ev's. The battery's have all clearly shown they cant even make it 10 years and the replacement cost are sometimes as much as the god damn cost of the car. People now can go buy a used gasser for a few grand and get years of cheap use out of them, those days will be long gone and the poor to lower middle class will be stuck with mass transit!
Clearly shown? Where? There are 2010 Tesla's for sale with the original battery, still driving. That's 12 years.
Batteries are estimated to be good for 300,000 to 500,000 miles (Tesla and GM estimates), by which time there is no way to know what a battery will cost. A GM crate motor is $5,000 to $40,000 depending on what you're looking for. I don't see the difference.

Suddenly everyone cares about the poor and middle class.....or at least their cars. Ugh.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I predict a $38,000 base price for the Wrangler EV. The Rubicon starts at $42,100 (without the $1,600 destination charge).....far too much to pay for a box, I don't care what it can do off-road, that's expensive.
1) Have you been asleep for the last few years? $40k+ for anything new is very average these days.

2) No way the full EV Wrangler will start at $38k.

3) Did you miss the part about the generic EV that is $90k in the article above?

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
1) Have you been asleep for the last few years? $40k+ for anything new is very average these days.

2) No way the full EV Wrangler will start at $38k.

3) Did you miss the part about the generic EV that is $90k in the article above?
Hey, let's start out with an insult! Battery cost is coming down, that $90K EV above is a niche model by an unknown company, not a Jeep. Jeep has been around for a long time and is part of a very big company, a company big enough to amortize the cost, so it won't cost $90K. Yes, average prices are in the $40K range, but EV's are coming down in cost. The 4xe is about $55, BUT it has two powertrains. Eliminating the ICE could bring the cost down, EV platforms are less costly to build. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re underground mines, reputedly 20~40% of total operating costs (depending on depth) is towards ventilation. Hence eg the economic desirability of zero polluter EVs.

Regarding traditional ICE Toyota Land Cruiser 70-Series, i have seen reported for maintenance crews in these environs to have spent annually AUD $110,000 on one single ‘mine spec’ Toyota LC 70! These are amongst the worst operating conditions known, with a major Mine foreman reporting the shortest life-span of one of their brand-new H/D modified mine-spec LCs being 3 hours..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts