GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've heard new car salespeople offer Scotchguard or otherwise a "stain guard" option for new cars and also heard of Scotchguard elsewhere, like in new carpet, in carpet shampoo, and have seen Scotchguard itself in stores.

Does it help keep cloth from being stained or soiled? It was offered to me when I bought my Forester but I didn't opt for it. When it was new with around 8k miles I could tell my driver's seat was noticeably darker than the passenger seat; I know blue jeans contribute to that but it's what I do...I pretty much do everything with that vehicle (I've got medium grey cloth BTW)

My activites can range from getting in and out after jackhammering and breaking up cement in a basement (heh not a clean job), and towing a trailer with the dirt and rubble behind the Forester to getting in and out on a boat ramp, loading my jet skis on my trailer while still in my wet wetsuit (I ride standup...you don't stay dry). I figure it isn't the best thing getting the seats wet though I've stopped riding in the Grand River, that water definitely isn't clean :(

Will applying Scotchguard myself help keep my seats cleaner and in good shape? I actually did have seat covers on them for a while until I read that you shouldn't use covers when you have side airbags:eek:. Can it be used on carpet too? I've got some pretty nice rubber mats but I still manage to get the carpet wet from jet skiing and from snow in the winter. And does it change the look or feel of the cloth? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
44,802 Posts
Yes. Scotchguard works wonders. It will stain and waterproof your seats and carpets... and shoes and pants and jackets.

If you're towing, trailering, jackhammering, and have a cloth interior, it's best that you scotchguard it. It won't hurt.

But now that the seats are a bit darker, it might be a good thing to give them a thorough cleaning first... and then scotchguard it.

When I had my old SL2, I scotchguarded the seats myself. It worked great.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mgescuro, sounds like its good stuff. I've got access to a Kirby Turbo (those things work wonders) and my bissel hand held shampooer so I should be able to get it clean again. Do you have to reapply it every so often?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Didn't GM have Scotchguard in a lot of the mid-nineties cars? Or was that something different?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yeah, with the scotch guard on your seats they will feel just a tiny bit stiffer and it may take some time for the smell to dissipate. You will also notice water sort of bead off of it. It works great and you barely notice once the smell is gone. I'd do it on a nice sunny day so you can leave the windows open for a while.

As far ad the airbags go, you could still use car seat covers if you cut out the section of the cover that would cover up the airbag. Of course you would need to hem (you could do this with hemming tape and an iron) up the edges of where you cut so it doesn't look ragged, and if you get a car seat cover that matches the color of your stock seat then you wouldn't even notice the cover is there. Then you can scotch guard them both. And have twice the protection. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.