GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2,416 Posts
I can't help but laugh when I see a scion go by. A few days ago I was going through town, and this old guy must have been about 45,50 pulled up next to me in a scion xa, his head was touching the roof and it looked like he spent 45 minutes just getting into the thing. Ugly small economy cars. Puke. BTW I'm 18, I drive a Suburban, and a Buick. So I'm not exactly a normal 18 year old, but thats how I view scion.

· Registered
2,416 Posts
Re: Scion's Ad Campaign Impresses

Crazypontiac03 said:
I kinda like it personally. exspecailly if ur on a budget and want to have fun with a car at the same time. Plue Toyota's Name behind it. I'd buy one, There is arlready a Blower out for it.

Oh yea, a blower, I'm going to jump right on that. :rotf:

I'm I the only person in my age group that hates small economy cars, and would save up for a real V8 car.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Ill stick with the Cobalt SS on this one. Its supercharged too and looks better IMO

· Registered
23 Posts

True, the Scion marketing campaign is a bit heavy handed. But some of works. Lots of it seems like pandering.

But what about the vehicles? I hated the xA (hatchback) at first, but I sat in one at a car show and liked it. The looks grew on me. Not a bad mini 5-door (Though I hate center-mounted dials). And a decent price, too. I don't know much about Scion's financing, but if they're aiming at the younger crowd, I certainly hope they have the financing ability to do it. Otherwise, kids with thin credit files will never be able to get into these things.

The tC is hot! I like it alot! Nice look, great 2.4 Toyota-badged engine, and loaded with options for a $17k price tag. This is going to be a hit, even with older buyers. Good job, Toyota.

The xB looks like a mail truck. They're ugly, sit terribly, and badly proportioned. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

All in all, Scion's not doing too much wrong. Interesting to see what other vehicles come out of that line.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Check out the T2b concept if you want to see whats down the line. The Tc doesnt look bad, but at the same time it doesnt look good. Ive sat in and seen every model out for them and Im not impressed. The factory installs they do to "customize" them arent anything I couldnt do to any other car. And Ill wait for the ecotec 2.4, more horses under the hood.

· Banned
606 Posts
I consider Scions to be "factory-rice" right out of the box. I would never buy one and can't stand the look of the Xb or Bb or whatever the young punk ricers call it. I also hold special contempt for those rice-a-roni types on scionlife.com

BUT I do admit that Toyota did a good job of marketing Scion and equipping their cars with a lot of standard equipment for a great price. And while many people may consider them to be ugly and disposable, many more think the same of GM cars and will laugh right back at you if you laugh at them. Each to his own, I guess.

· Registered
23 Posts

GMfan2381 said:
Check out the T2b concept if you want to see whats down the line. The Tc doesnt look bad, but at the same time it doesnt look good. Ive sat in and seen every model out for them and Im not impressed. The factory installs they do to "customize" them arent anything I couldnt do to any other car. And Ill wait for the ecotec 2.4, more horses under the hood.
What I meant was that I was pretty impressed with the fact that Scion put in what are usually options (power locks/windows/mirrors, premium sound, sunroof, etc.) and wrapped it all up in a sportscar with a 2.4 motor for only $17.5K. That's a good buy.

As for the silly little accessories from Scion (mod kits, curbfeelers, fuzzy dice and whatever the hell junk they're peddling), you probably could do better going outside of Scion. But I think this tC is going to be a hit. It's the next Celica.

· Registered
69 Posts
I beleive these Scion cars were sold in Japan long ago as either Toyotas or at least had the same kinda of design and were very popular. I think Toyota thought that many people in Japan like these cars...then they would give it a try here in North America. Some people may hate these cars but some may like them...cuz honestly they are really cheap and someone can do a lot of modifications to it..something young kids like too. Even though the Scion cars are ugly..they are unique....no other manufacture has something like this to offer. They may be ugly but they are cheap...must like the Toyota Echo..right? But the Echo is popular...cuz it's so cheap.

· Registered
1,355 Posts

FightingIrish said:
What I meant was that I was pretty impressed with the fact that Scion put in what are usually options (power locks/windows/mirrors, premium sound, sunroof, etc.) and wrapped it all up in a sportscar with a 2.4 motor for only $17.5K. That's a good buy.

As for the silly little accessories from Scion (mod kits, curbfeelers, fuzzy dice and whatever the hell junk they're peddling), you probably could do better going outside of Scion. But I think this tC is going to be a hit. It's the next Celica.
I never said it was a bad buy, the car just does nothing for me. If you want a good value a loaded Cavalier would come in a bit lower I think... But the Tc looks better than that.

The Tc will sell, no doubt about that. But I dont see it capturing a huge chunk of the market, there is just too much competition now.

Toyota doesnt want to admit that the Tc is the next Celica, but really it is... Toyota kinda put themselves into this position once they started turning away from the kids. Thats the whole reason they made the Scion brand to begin with, Toyota has grown the image of an "old persons car". Scion doesnt carry that stigma, and I doubt it ever will. Toyota is kinda forcing people into the brand by axing the Celica/MR2 (MR2 to a point...I see that as a middle aged persons car still, at least in its current form). Wether or not people buy them has yet to be seen. Ive seen a handful since their release. And while that isnt a good way to judge success it makes me wonder a bit.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.