GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by AJR@Apr 13 2004, 09:01 PM
I will say the advertising campaign is very well done. The commercials were entertaining and innovative. Too bad they were ruined by the looks of the vehicles. The Lighting and DJ commercials were my favorites,
I finally figured out that the "DJ" commercial was the one I was talking about, and added the link to my first post. :p

Here it is again:
http://www.uemedia.net/artman/uploads/1022scion8.mov

· Registered
247 Posts
I was just a kid when that came out, but by the way you guys put it it sounds really cool.

But, about the Scion... the commercials look really cool. I mean they've got awesome graphics, it's intense, fast, gets my heart pumping... then they made the mistake of showing the car.

I'm offended that Toyota is aiming that at my and is expecting I'll buy that. Either or them.

If that's aimed at teens I want a written apology from toyota. I have better taste than that, (that might be my GM bias speaking) I do.

If that's what I'm supposed to like, I'm sorry Toyota, but lots of people my age look down on it. It seems like people trying to hold onto their youth are intreseted, but not the kids. I'd gladly take the Aveo over that (that's not an insult to the Aveo, I said that because they are competitors).

· Registered
4,598 Posts
Originally posted by AJR@Apr 13 2004, 08:01 PM
I will say the advertising campaign is very well done. The commercials were entertaining and innovative. Too bad they were ruined by the looks of the vehicles. The Lighting and DJ commercials were my favorites, but I just don't like the looks of the Scion vehicles. The Lighting commercial would have been great for a truly beautiful car as it showed close-up details of the cars and the reflections of lights on pure black cars. This would have been perfect for an ultra sleek, beautiful car.

The vehicles may be ugly, but the price point they are trying to sell at isn't. The prices will make these things attractive to people who want a cheap, first car, or somebody that wants to be different. Those ads mentioned above prove that one can be cool by being different. That is SCION, and I think people will attach themselves this brand.

Ultimately, will this kind of marketing sell cars? We will find out as the Scion brand is marketed throughout the rest of the U.S. I read that the Toyota officials were suprised to learn that Scion did even better than expectated in California. Just wait and see how the rest of the country does. The new Tc coupe is the product needed that will bring people in who otherwise would not want a Scion. That is the car, in my opinion, that will make Scion legitmate.

Speaking of Scion marketing, I witnessed it first hand at the St. Louis Auto Show. The Scion display was like a club as the music was pumping and all kinds of young, trendy people were all over the place. The small display (only 3 cars shown) was very crowded by people wanting to learn about Scion. The Scion reps dressed like the people they were aiming at - i.e. they were young, trendy, and in the club scene (or something like that). No suits were allowed, but jeans, ear- rings, and t-shorts were the norm. I don't think I have ever seen an auto display like that before. Somehow, though, I felt uncomfortable there. I'm just out of that target market, but the display was drawing a lot of people. I'll stay with my Mustang.

Scion has a good chance of taking off. Detroit better be prepared.
Great post and very true!

Scion also had club music at the Dallas Auto Show, which attracted TONS of people - young and old alike. Most of the teenagers were saying "whoa, that's so cool" while their parents were asking "this is made by Toyota? hmm.." Scion has a trendy image established, and I think they'll do well in the longrun. IMO, I'd make the next RAV4 a Scion.

· Registered
359 Posts
Re: Scion's Ad Campaign Impresses

the marketing must be working, because i see a ton of scions. actually, the only reason i hate them so much is because some kids i no are so incredibly ****************ing obssesed with them.

· Registered
359 Posts

Wefakr said:
I've said it more than once- Saturn is in the absolute perfect position to take on Scion. It's GM's best shot, and a much better direction than trying to compete with Acura.
i dont think so....saturns already moving upmarket, and i think moving down even lower than where they were before would hurt their image a lot.

· Registered
4,018 Posts
I have seen the boxy model at a local mall and I'll second the motion-it looks like crap. Unless it is going for about $9,000 I see no use in it.
Oh, I am not impressed with the marketing.
Toyota did one smart thing to not incorporate it into their company. That way, they can cast it adrift if the line fails.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
I see very few on the road, and Im not complaining about that at all. The ads are extreme hype and make the cars look much better then they do in person IMO. Ive seen every model out (on the road) and its really hard to pick out the Xa and Tc in a crowd, the Xb however sticks out, but thats due to the ugly...err uniqueness of it :-\. Saturn should not tackle Scion. Leave that to Chevy and Pontiac. Let them have a "custom" option just like Scion does.

· Registered
16 Posts
Personally I think its a great ad campaign, from the print ads to the commercials. They're really good eye candy, however they're advertising a horrid product. The cars are flat out horrible, except for the tC, which isn't all that bad. Personal favorite, the tC one thats basically all CG animated.

· Banned
1,510 Posts

What I noticed a few weeks ago at the Detroit auto show was the there were young people hovering around the scion playing with the stereos and features.

My girlfriend who is in her early 20's was drawed towards them for some weird reason.

for some reason it seems the Scions are working.

· Registered
1,355 Posts

Maverick said:
Look what they did to the Holden Torana!
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35755

Scroll down a bit, you'll find it.
OMG :barf: whoever did that needs a severe beating. The Torana is one of the best looking cars Ive seen and for them to defile it like that, well someone needs a good beating.

As for the ads, Im sure they are effective to a point, but when someone sees the car in real life they just arent as fun as they are made out to be. Ive seen every model on the road and sat in all but the Xa. I really wasnt impressed by them.

· Registered
1,909 Posts

Those danged kids and their music!

Don't try to figure 'em out. They can't be figured. Just shake your fist at 'em like this!

...Kidding...

· Registered
1,909 Posts

GMfan2381 said:
OMG :barf: whoever did that needs a severe beating. The Torana is one of the best looking cars Ive seen and for them to defile it like that, well someone needs a good beating.

As for the ads, Im sure they are effective to a point, but when someone sees the car in real life they just arent as fun as they are made out to be. Ive seen every model on the road and sat in all but the Xa. I really wasnt impressed by them.
The funniest thing about that site was the caption under one of the guy's avatars:

"That pic is not me (I'm a guy). "

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.