GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,598 Posts
Scion's marketing is some of the best right now. They really targeted their demographic really well!

· Registered
4,598 Posts
You all can say whatever about how ugly Scion is, but the fact of the matter is that they are selling well for a new brand and their image awareness program is doing well. They've made a name in this competitive segment. Plus, the tC looks very promising.

· Registered
4,598 Posts
Originally posted by AJR@Apr 13 2004, 08:01 PM
I will say the advertising campaign is very well done. The commercials were entertaining and innovative. Too bad they were ruined by the looks of the vehicles. The Lighting and DJ commercials were my favorites, but I just don't like the looks of the Scion vehicles. The Lighting commercial would have been great for a truly beautiful car as it showed close-up details of the cars and the reflections of lights on pure black cars. This would have been perfect for an ultra sleek, beautiful car.

The vehicles may be ugly, but the price point they are trying to sell at isn't. The prices will make these things attractive to people who want a cheap, first car, or somebody that wants to be different. Those ads mentioned above prove that one can be cool by being different. That is SCION, and I think people will attach themselves this brand.

Ultimately, will this kind of marketing sell cars? We will find out as the Scion brand is marketed throughout the rest of the U.S. I read that the Toyota officials were suprised to learn that Scion did even better than expectated in California. Just wait and see how the rest of the country does. The new Tc coupe is the product needed that will bring people in who otherwise would not want a Scion. That is the car, in my opinion, that will make Scion legitmate.

Speaking of Scion marketing, I witnessed it first hand at the St. Louis Auto Show. The Scion display was like a club as the music was pumping and all kinds of young, trendy people were all over the place. The small display (only 3 cars shown) was very crowded by people wanting to learn about Scion. The Scion reps dressed like the people they were aiming at - i.e. they were young, trendy, and in the club scene (or something like that). No suits were allowed, but jeans, ear- rings, and t-shorts were the norm. I don't think I have ever seen an auto display like that before. Somehow, though, I felt uncomfortable there. I'm just out of that target market, but the display was drawing a lot of people. I'll stay with my Mustang.

Scion has a good chance of taking off. Detroit better be prepared.
Great post and very true!

Scion also had club music at the Dallas Auto Show, which attracted TONS of people - young and old alike. Most of the teenagers were saying "whoa, that's so cool" while their parents were asking "this is made by Toyota? hmm.." Scion has a trendy image established, and I think they'll do well in the longrun. IMO, I'd make the next RAV4 a Scion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.