GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Katherine Zachary/WardsAuto.com, May 6 2004

This is what many buyers, particularly in the Gulf States, have discovered after cranking up the air conditioning in their new xB’s.

The AC, says Scion Vice President Jim Farley, is “challenged” in the surprise hit market of Texas, where humidity often soars as high as the temperatures.

Scion xB
Farley says Scion has been talking to Japan, where the xB is built, regarding detailed changes to the compressor and ventilation systems.

“It’s not an easy problem to fix,” concedes Farley, “given it’s a 1.5L engine and it’s a relatively large car.”

Farley attributes the problem not only to the weak air conditioning system but also to the young demographic – which he says is a lot pickier. Older Scion buyers – the over-35 set – have voiced few complaints about the vehicle’s cabin temperature.

This proclivity for Scion’s coveted youth demographic to raise their voices in complaint also punished Scion in its first-ever J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey, released last week.

Scion dragged down parent company and perennial frontrunner Toyota Motor Corp., with a reported 158 problems per hundred vehicles. The mean brand score was 199, while Toyota’s combined brands, which includes Lexus and Scion, was 101.

Farley says internal reports indicate that the younger-than-35 consumer has a tendency to complain more, at least about initial quality. He says studies suggest a mean problems-per-hundred score for younger consumers would in the 140s.

·
Banned
895 Posts
This whole lineup of vehicles did something I never thought possible.

It made the Pontiac Aztek look good.

Congratulations, Toyota. You did what Pontiac design couldn't do.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Something ((WRONG?)) with a Toyota product?? :huh: It just ((CANT BE!!!)) Toyota/Scion doing something WRONG isent possible IS IT?? <_< ;) :D Hehehe! :D

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My favorite part is the bit about how part of the problem is that the young demographic is too picky. :eek: That's the problem with the youth today, they have no respect. Scion is part of Toyota for Chrissake! :p :lol:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@May 12 2004, 04:46 PM
This whole lineup of vehicles did something I never thought possible.

It made the Pontiac Aztek look good.

Congratulations, Toyota. You did what Pontiac design couldn't do.
Good one!!!!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Generation X is typically considered to be people born between 1961 and 1981 or 1965 to 1975 by some people's definition. I was born in 1967 so I'm definitely a gen X person. The generation is most known as the baby bust generation after the baby boom generation because of the low birth rates in those years. If you were born after this generation you are part of what some people are calling generation Y or baby boomlet generation.

Mark

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Originally posted by Carguy@May 12 2004, 05:22 PM
Something ((WRONG?)) with a Toyota product?? :huh: It just ((CANT BE!!!)) Toyota/Scion doing something WRONG isent possible IS IT?? <_< ;) :D Hehehe! :D
I, too, would like to celebrate this setback for Toyota, but then reality sets in. Much to our collective chagrin, I'm certain Toyota is up to the task of addressing this problem.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
let me add some fuel. for those of you up north that have never spent a summer in texas.. texas summers are blazing hot. tempetures in excess of 105 degrees is common. when i open my car after work it is so hot inside, if i get right in i cant breath because interior tempeture. in most cases everyone keeps indoors during the hotter parts of the day. most that are outdoors usually do so because its job related. glad i work in an office!

yeah, they made the scion too big, for the engine and a/c thats in it. foolish. they just destroyed there whole southwest market if you ask me.. from nevada to texas, and along gulf coast the xb will be known as a sweat box.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam+May 12 2004, 07:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tgagneguam @ May 12 2004, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Carguy@May 12 2004, 05:22 PM
Something ((WRONG?)) with a Toyota product??  :huh: It just ((CANT BE!!!)) Toyota/Scion doing something WRONG isent possible IS IT?? <_<  ;)  :D Hehehe! :D
I, too, would like to celebrate this setback for Toyota, but then reality sets in. Much to our collective chagrin, I'm certain Toyota is up to the task of addressing this problem. [/b][/quote]
They should use the 2.4L I4 from the Tc. Or is it tC? ((((DAMN)))) I just told them how to fix the problem! :eek: <_< :angry: :huh: :p

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Sadly, like the Element, these are selling...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice to see Toyota having some issues.

This is typical of cars designed in cool climates and then sold down South. My wife had a 2000 Mercury Cougar which is actually a Euro designed car. The car would never get cold. Ditched that piece of junk after a summer of Florida driving.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Most foreign cars don't have proper AC for southern climates. European and Japanese climates virtually never get as warm as the southern part of the US. Heck, a year or two ago when that heat wave came through Europe (with temperatures peaking only in the mid-90's), tens of thousands of people died because of it. They just don't know what a really hot summer can be like, and their cars have never really been designed with powerful AC because of it. The AC in my Audi blows cold, but because of the ventilation system, you have to leave it running on high for it to be at all effective. Turn it to "low" or "economy", and the car just won't cool down enough, even in 85-90 degree weather. I shudder to think what it will be like when it actually starts to get hot here. In my Mustang, if you left the AC cranked all the way up for more than a few minutes (even if it was 100+ outside), you'd be shivering from the cold. And that's exactly how air conditioning should work, if you ask me. Big, powerful, near-freezing capability. Heck, there are upgraded systems available in the aftermarket that are capable of blowing air at or below freezing for short bursts.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I actually have an appreciation for the Scion's design.

However, that AC will have to be beefed up. (I live in Texas)

BTW, notice when GM/Ford/Chrysler have a problem with their cars, it is all over the news. However this isn't even a blip.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also like the idea of the scion box, since it's pretty much a smaller big van (as opposed to a mini-van), but give me good old American engineering anytime.
There are two schools of engineering thought, and a product's quality is often determined before the design is finalized by which one is chosen. There is the old-school philosophy, where generations of engineering tweaks have been made to improve durability and performance. Think of the 1955 Chevy small block engine family, or the original Volkswagen Beetle. Then there is the other school of thought, where a design is made as efficient as possible from the start, and even though some allowances are made for conditions beyond the norm, cost is always a prime consideration, and often a design is done from a 'clean sheet of paper' as a matter of course, and never benefits from earlier iterations of the product.
American manufacturers including GM use both methods, often both in the same product, and products entirely from School One or School Two. I formerly owned a 1st gen Taurus, a truly great car with a truly sh***y transmission, both products of School Two, IMHO. On the other hand, School One can get stuck in a rut, and turn out boring products. I don't want my car to be just an appliance, I just want it to be as reliable as one, with a bulletproof engine, tranny, heater, and A/C, with good looks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts