GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was reading a free Motor Trend I got in the mail and read the comparison test between the Chevy Aveo, Kia Rio, & Toyota Scion xA. As I was reading about the Scion it sounds like its a nice little bugger for the price, and the style to me looks like a mini Matrix aka Vibe. Am I just screwing my head up thinking that this really is a decent car :huh: ?

Your thoughts...

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm sure it's a decent car. Toyota makes lots of decent cars. They're not very good at great, or even good, but they do decent well. If you were a college student with 15k to spend though, why would you not buy a bigger late 90's car and spend the money you saved on a big TV and pizza?

·
Registered
44,307 Posts
Scions are supposed to be decent cars. THey are made by Toyota afterall. Too bad the actual quality numbers don't show that.

I've never really cared for any of their designs. Maybe I'm just not part of their target market.... But they do look better than the Aveo.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I don't dislike the xA but it's definitely a good choice for those on a budget - a nice, high quality car with good fuel economy. But if I were to choose a Scion, I'd probably take the tC...200 supercharged HP in a small hatchback is hard to deny

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
From what I've read its a rehashed Echo, although it sure does look better than the Echo!

I'd probably opt for an Aveo instead if I was looking for an inexpensive hatch, or the xB - while strange looking, the xB screams "scion" more than the xA, which just blends in a little too much with the parking lot landscape.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Screw that I'd just but a larger used car.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
A lot of the younger crowd seems to be attracted to Scions. Exactly what Toyota wants out of Scion. Money, and leading a demographic.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I drove the xA back to back with the Aveo. The xA and xB both share their architecture with the Echo, as well as its center-mounted speedometer, which didn't really bother me.

The xA has a very rough ride, though it does handle well. I was the only driver that day that wasn't put off by the roughness of the ride. The Aveo's ride is much better, without any real compromise that I could find in its handling. Engine and road noise are -far- less intrusive in the Aveo, and thus it feels quite a bit more solid, and less like a tin can.

Performance is similar with both cars. The Aveo's stick shift is clunky, but the automatic is good, and the hold mode allows it to be shifted manually.

The xA's interior has hipper look to it, but the Aveo's interior is certainly nothing to sneeze at, especially in comparison with the Echo.

Other than subjective styling, and the fact that the xA seems to have a slight edge in the prestige factor, I can't see any clear advantage in the xA, and the Aveo has several.

Questions are welcome.

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@May 31 2004, 07:45 AM
If you were a college student with 15k to spend though, why would you not buy a bigger late 90's car and spend the money you saved on a big TV and pizza?
for every good used car there's a crap used car. i can see the benefit to having a brand new car with full warranty and great gas mileage. plus, a small car is great for zipping around town. there are some fine larger used cars out there, but in college i'd much rather have had an xA.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, another one of my old topics brought back up :blink: . I don't think they aren't a bad little thing but I just had a quick one day of wanting one. Paul8488 will be happy to know I'll be purchasing a 1988 Fiero GT :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@May 31 2004, 07:34 PM
A lot of the younger crowd seems to be attracted to Scions. Exactly what Toyota wants out of Scion. Money, and leading a demographic.
Ive never seen one younger person driving one. Its only old guys, so far that Ive seen....I am young and I wouldnt touch one with a 200ft pole.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I personally think they are ugly. All of them, my buddy lives and dies by Toyota, but whenever Im with my group of friends and we see a Scion commerical on TV we all laugh at them (I might add that I am the only one out of my group that drives a domestic). They are claiming to be inovative, but all that I see is a hatchback echo and a box tipped on its side. I like the way the hatchback Aveo looks (esp in black, the other colors do not impress me very much). I have never been a big fan of Toyota, and after seeing how the scion staks up in initial quality (34th/37 brands) I am extremely leery of them. Not only that but I have yet to actually see one on the road. and Ive barely seen any of the Xb. lol can anyone explain that?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
On my way home from work the other day I passed the senior high school and I saw a yellow "riced up" xB. It was interesting... :lol:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I live in MD and have seen less than a handful of Xbs, I just saw one Xa on my way to the beach and I have seen 2Tc's. The first Tc I saw I was heading to work and it was stopped at a light opposting me and I said "what is...oh" I must say they make them look a lot better on TV then they do in real life, its a very plain car for a brand thats trying to be different. But thats just my .02

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.