Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scion gears up for prime-time launch
Scraps low-key approach for tC coupe
By JASON STEIN | Automotive News
08:01 April 29, 2004

DETROIT --

Scion has just finished production in Australia of two 30-second TV commercials and two 60-second movie ads for its 2005 tC coupe. Those ads, along with previous commercials for the xA and xB, will appear on prime-time and late-night TV beginning in May. Scion will continue advertising in movie theaters across the United States.

"You will start to see a little more heavy coverage in early evening, prime time on network TV," says Dawn Ahmed, Scion's national marketing manager. "Going national, we do want to make a big blast in the media and get a rapid awareness of the Scion brand."

Although Scion ads are not new to TV, they are new to mainstream network TV. Last summer, Scion said it wanted to take a low-key but sharply targeted approach to its launch of the xA and xB.

The challenge was to generate brand awareness without going too deeply into the mainstream, Scion officials say. Scion believed a traditional campaign might alienate the 16- to 30-year-old male buyers it seeks. The brand spent $8.0 million last year on media advertising, according to TNS Media Intelligence/CMR.

After initially using nontraditional advertising, Scion ran four TV spots, first in California, then on national cable networks and late-night network TV shows in February. More recently, ads for the xA and xB have appeared in prime time on major broadcast networks.

"I don't think you'll ever see the type of media spending for Scion as you do with other automakers," she says. "Scion will still maintain its core target. You'll just see more of that media blast around the launch timing."

Ahmed says Scion plans more appearances on "fringe" TV. Among cable networks, that means MTV, Fuse TV and G4TV, a video game network. On network TV it means late-night spots on programs such as "Saturday Night Live," "Last Call with Carson Daly" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien."

She added: "You'll see us in fairly focused programs in TV and print buys."

It is unlikely Scion will buy national network time for the entire year, but the brand will stay "very heavily" in cable, Ahmed says.

The new commercials for the tC will use animation and invoke the same themes as the original ads used to build the brand.

Full Article Here

Also see: Scion's Ad Campaign Impresses

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I honestly think that Scion has the best marketing approach EVER! They're perfectly targeting their key demographic by showing ads produced by fellow teenagers, having upbeat and stylish displays at auto shows, giving out free things in Times Square for brand awareness, showing their ads on popular teen networks (i.e. Fuse, MTV, etc.), and also slotting their ads in primetime, especially during late-nite TV shows (SNL, etc.). They're really got this advertising thing down!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
RCTennis, I agree with you, whole-heartedly!
What do youngsters like better than their music, or music that youngsters like them even created. Plus, when I was in Georgetown the other day, a whole bunch of Scion's were driving around. Xa and Xb's were driving around, trying to get Georgetown students to their dealerships to get a Scion.
Plus, Scion knows that youngsters are attracted to Comedy Central, and SNL, and Mad TV. They know what youngsters like. They know that Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and all that junk is watched by teenagers all the time.
They go to the movie theaters, and pick out movies that are sure to be watched by youngsters.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Thanks gmwsag!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@May 2 2004, 03:34 PM
Does tC stand for "Tercel Coupe" (Reborn)?

;)

LOL :lol: I forgot about the Tercel...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I sat in the xB at the detroit auto show. Nice display, fun even.

This is the only toyota I would buy. I think it is a fun and cool looking car.

I'm 23, so I guess this puts me in the target market, but my next car will likely be a CTS-V. I guess I have a wide variety of cars that i like.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think the Scion tC is going to be HUGE. This car will be a very formidable competitor for the Cobalt. I love the "panorama moonroof" & hatchback design.

The pricing is pretty aggressive for a nicely-styled & loaded little car:
Manual $16,465
Automatic $17,265

The standard equipment list is stellar:
2.4 I4 VVT - 160 HP/163 TQ
17" alloys
4 wheel discs w/ ABS
Pioneer 6 speaker stereo
all power
etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by PaleGreen@May 3 2004, 05:15 AM
I think the Scion tC is going to be HUGE. This car will be a very formidable competitor for the Cobalt. I love the "panorama moonroof" & hatchback design.

The pricing is pretty aggressive for a nicely-styled & loaded little car:
Manual $16,465
Automatic $17,265

The standard equipment list is stellar:
2.4 I4 VVT - 160 HP/163 TQ
17" alloys
4 wheel discs w/ ABS
Pioneer 6 speaker stereo
all power
etc, etc.

I agree. It is the vehicle that will make Scion mainstream. It isn't a bad looking car, but I wouldn't buy it now. I'm looking to move up instead going back to entry level cars. Still, the tC looks to be a well done car and the marketing is huge. I think Toyota may have another hit on its hands. The pricing is great.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The tC looks like the Cobalt sedan with 2 drs missing. There are posters and whatnot all over downtown NYC talking about the release the of the tC. I dont know, its better looking the the other 2. The tC lacks something... but I dont know what it is. There is nothing that stands out on this car, much like the xA. The xB stands out, but in a bad way IMO.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can see theTC being a hit with entry buyers and with the Vortech'd version it should give the cobalt SS and SRT a run for there money. Big advantage is that it's a Toyota, people like that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have Read several places that The Scion TC is going to be the replacement for the Celica. ;) Toyota isn't going to make the Celica after 2004.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@May 4 2004, 05:03 PM
I can see theTC being a hit with entry buyers and with the Vortech'd version it should give the cobalt SS and SRT a run for there money. Big advantage is that it's a Toyota, people like that.
scion is clearly not as toyota as toyata'd like, though. JD powers initial quality at 158 for scion versus 104 for toyota. whether or not you think the actual numbers mean anything, there's no arguing that there's a huge difference between the two brands. when mitsubishi and kia have you beat, there's trouble!

·
Registered
633 Posts
personally JD powers isn't what I would judge my car on. I think that they are less than scientific. I also put less into the first 90 days of ownership but raher care more for the 3-6 year quality of a car. Not to mention I would use my own personal judgment of the design, quality, fit and finish. Though the last is on such a limited amount of cars as it would only be for myself and not used to support any real debate.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@May 5 2004, 05:07 PM
personally JD powers isn't what I would judge my car on.
nor i. i just wanted to show that by one measure scion isn't toyota. a buncha consumers discovered a scion is significantly more troublesome during the first 90 days of ownership than a toyota. so scion might try to ride toyotas coat-tails in the quality department, but the only measurable i've seen is that they're not the same.

i do agree though... JD powers, even if the testing is performed as scientific as possible, doesn't really dig too deep. perhaps 101 of the 102 hyundai defects per car are engine fires, whereas perhaps 103 of the 104 toyota defects are cupholder related. i do see these reports as a starting point for further investigation, but i wouldn't limit myself to lexus just because they scored the highest. i mean lowest! :lol:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Let's face it: any car can have problems in the first 90 days...

But anyways, it's true that some cars are better than others in quality.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Strange thing is, both of those models - well, at least the xB - have been around for YEARS in Japan.... :rolleyes:

I have a Japanese mag from 2000 or 2001 with the xB "BbX" in it as a current vehicle for sale.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.