GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With its funky advertising campaigns and ads in offbeat magazines, Toyota's upstart Scion division refuses to play by the rules.

And at this week's Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas, where vehicles with loud, outrageous paint jobs usually get much of the attention, Scion will break another rule.

The division will show an xA hatchback covered only with dull gray primer.

Scion executives are considering offering a primer finish as an option for the xA and xB, which are becoming popular vehicles for California tuners and customizers.

"As much as possible, we want to give them (tuners) a blank canvas," says Jim Farley, Scion general manager.

People who visit Scion's SEMA display will be asked whether they would be interested in getting vehicles without paint.

Scion will use that information to help determine what the demand might be for a nonpainted vehicle.

Farley says no timetable has been set to decide on whether to offer paintless models.

Bringing a nonpainted vehicle to market is more complex than just yanking a vehicle off the production line before it reaches the paint shop, he says.

Toyota is studying several technical and logistical issues.

Two questions are how nonpainted vehicles would disrupt the production flow and who would install the trim parts that are applied after the paint.

Scion is trying to determine whether the customer or dealer should be responsible for installing the trim parts.

Also in question is whether parts would be put inside the vehicle at the factory or installed and re-moved when the vehicle is painted.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Nov 7 2003, 05:03 AM
This has got to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard.
"That is the worst idea I've ever heard"
"Yes, that is a horrible idea..."

--Discussion of a "JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS" mat, OFFICE SPACE

I think the above quote speaks pretty well for this idea...

<_<

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
HOw about we just give them the parts and they can build it themselves! Then they can be really creative!!

DIE TOYOTA SCUM!! :plasma: :plasma: :zap: :Heads:

Im sorry, but all this talk of Toyota's quality.. and they are so cheap they cant even paint the cars?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
You folks who think this idea is stupid OBVIOUSLY aren't the target audience. Have you bought a new car and repainted it shortly after purchase? A sizable portion of the target audience for Scion cars do. Why should they paint over paint? A paint they paid for but don't want.

Toyota doesn't make too many mistakes in marketing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I agree with Hudson. Why pay for the paint job if you are going to just paint over it. I think it is a great idea. Of course it wouldn't work for an Impala or Crown Vic, but for the tuner market cars it's perfect.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I imagine the idea is a pretty good one.
No paint and some cheapy steel wheels.
Cut down on the initial vehicle costs for
those who are just going to replace 'em.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The idea is good. The restyled Echo architecture and weak azz engine are not.

GM considered adopting this idea on the Chevy Colorado Xtreme - black primer - but then decided the target audience woukld probably just end up driving the cars around in primer black forever.... :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
it's a doable option that Toyota would easily capitalize on if the results of their survey at SEMA say yes to primer. I can imagine that many people would say yes to a primer coat which would also allow Toyota to have that edge on the compedition by saying "you can make your xB YOUR xB".

(but it all comes back to rice - because we all know what will become of primered Scion's <_<)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Nov 7 2003, 03:04 PM
GM considered adopting this idea on the Chevy Colorado Xtreme - black primer - but then decided the target audience woukld probably just end up driving the cars around in primer black forever.... :p
haha- yeah- I bet that primer would be the color of choice in Arkansas.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Anyone think they should just have the cars sitting on blocks in the showrooms also? :woot2:

Seriously though wouldn't this negate the manufacture of any responsibility with paint defects/rust issues? I wouldn't want this because what if you get a bad paint job? Your car will end up rusting like a Mazda 6 :rudolph: . It is just like a drive through liquor store, ALMOST a good idea.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I wonder how they plan on selling vehicles with primer only and giving good warranty at the same time. For one there definately wouldn't be any rust protection warranty and can you imagine the quality issues if dealers installed the options after the vehicle was painted? It would be a cool option but like the article said, they would have to overcome production difficulties.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At least it will give the community college students working for experience at MAACOs around the country something to do. :lol:

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
This could potentially hurt Scion's reputation if unrealistic "tuners" who opted to buy the cars with just primer never gathered enough desire or money to get a paint job. Scion targets generally teenagers and college guys who don't have a lot of money. A good percentage of them would not have enough savings to get a custom paint job that could cost thousands, even though they thought they could afford one when they bought the primer-only car.

Imagine a bunch of cheapo xBs with just primer or bad paint running around... Scion would turn into a serious beater brand.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Nov 7 2003, 03:50 PM
Have you bought a new car and repainted it shortly after purchase? A sizable portion of the target audience for Scion cars do. Why should they paint over paint? A paint they paid for but don't want.
Well, Im surrouned by these so-called "Californian Tuners"(yes, I live in California). They change the wheels, stick some stickers on it, swap out a muffler(only the muffler!) and to make it sporty stick on the all powerful CAI(cold air intake).

The target audience is kids who's daddy will buy them the car, right? what do they care about 300 bucks?

By the way, pretty much the only custom paint jobs you'll see is just detailing, stripes, logos, or whatever.

Anyways, does toyota plan on selling them for the same price?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
well, yeah im sure that this xB is such a hip rad cool car! Im 19, so im very much there target market.... I just dont like crappy imports that look like a mini-ups truck. The xB is ugly as all hell.... Id buy one just to have the satisfaction of driving it off a cliff. Why would you want to paint this car? Its not fast, its not cool looking, it doesnt scream out "BUY ME" It screams out "What can Brown do for you?" How this car sells more then a few 100 boggles the mind and I am ashamed of being apart of this generation. We make Hippies look like Wall Street Insiders.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I'm not a fan of the xB's styling, but I can see the intrigue. It's different...no matter how you cut it. I like different.

I prefer the xA, which is more conservatively styled. I have driven one (for an extended period of time) and the power is good (not great) for a small car. The quality is good. I see the appeal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts