1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SCCA clamps down on Cadillac's CTS-V
10:02 April 12, 2004
AutoWeek

The SCCA has released its "competition adjustments" for the Speed World Challenge. Most affect the Cadillac CTS-V, which finished first and second in its debut at Sebring on March 19.

SCCA mandated Cadillac raise the CTS-V's weight 200 pounds, restrict air flow into the engine 30 percent, limit revs to 7000 rpm (900 rpm lower than Sebring), and be limited to a maximum of 49 percent rear weight distribution.

Article Here

Summary of Cadillac CTS-V changes:
Base Weight
Sebring 3000
Lime Rock 3200
Change +200 lbs

Alternate Gearbox
Sebring +100
Lime Rock NA

Air restrictor
Sebring 80.5mm
Lime Rock 63.6 mm
Change -16.9mm (30%)

Rev Limit
Sebring 7900 rpm
Lime Rock 7000 rpm
-900 rpm

Weight distribution max
Sebring NA
Lime Rock 49% rear

Mandatory Air Intake
Sebring NA
Lime Rock As specified by VTS
Change: Car ran this way at Sebring

In addition to the Cadillac CTS-V adjustments, Friday's Technical Bulletin also specified that the BMW M3 is permitted to stroke its 3.2L motor to 3.4L, beginning with Lime Rock Park.

Also See Here For Details

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
that is simply pathetic: if a car is much better they have to handicap it so that the losers can catch up!
No need for the bmw to stroke their engine: JUST RUN A CTS-V ENGINE INSTEAD!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is the only way the foreign competition wins. Knock down the american winners. What a load of bull. Do they pull that stuff in any other car event ? (Nascar, Indy, Cart ..ect. ) :argue:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Actually this is not uncommon in motor racing. The Oreca vipers were forced to run an additional 200 lbs. due to the fact that the 911s that previously dominated the class were hopelessly outgunned. Also, Audi's quattro drive system was seen as such an advantage that it was banned from the WRC. There are more examples, I just can't think of them right now.

What the SCCA is after is QUALITY of racing, not utter dominance. Utter dominance breeds an F1 type of race where there isn't any point in watching because you know who will win.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the SCCA should have a goal of keeping the cars close to their production counterparts. If the CTS-V "R" weighed in at 1200 pounds with a 700hp motor and a chassis unlike anything in a production CTS-V, then I would be all for putting limitations on it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Originally posted by patscircus@Apr 12 2004, 01:23 PM
That is the only way the foreign competition wins. Knock down the american winners. What a load of bull. Do they pull that stuff in any other car event ? (Nascar, Indy, Cart ..ect. ) :argue:

Sadly yes, NASCAR (not Nascar) just this year gave Ford new heads which gave them another 20-25 hp and Cart is forever changing rules to change who wins.

I am only pointing this out I do not agree with it. I think that it is pathetic personaly. But whoever said it was so German cars could do better, thats pure BS, Caddy isn't the only US car racing there, but it's the only one that was beating everyone else so badly. BMW gets upgrades because they lose so badly most of the time. For the record, not everyone is against America, I hear that all the time, it's not why they did it, they want better racing, not to stop American cars from winning. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
316 Posts
BMW's M3 with the V8 was also banned from the SCCA a few years ago i believe because it dominated so much the year before. it's not just US cars. this is why BMW made the limited production M3 with the V8 and carbon fiber roof and all that jazz, because the standard M3 only came with an inline V6 but they were racing a V8 from the M5....if anyone remembers?

·
Registered
302 Posts
it's a good thing i think it says race with talent not money...i'm curious abotu the parity between racing team budgets and how much money went in to developing the CTS-V for SCCA racing...versus the audi's and BMW's combined

should make it a good series to watch for...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I can't remember in what competition it stated that you can race the car with any production based engine: this is how a v8 mini was born :blink:
Like someone else noted, is much more interesting to see race cars somehow close to the production vehicles than thos monsters wich have nothing to do with everyday reality (but I guess it wouldn't bring as much money...)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ+Apr 12 2004, 03:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SilverZ @ Apr 12 2004, 03:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-logansowner@Apr 12 2004, 07:27 PM
NASCAR (not Nascar)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Well, I'm sorry ******.

I point out someones mistake and get that, real mature. Whats your problem with NASCAR anyway?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Look at the bright side here guys: GM set out to create a compeitive luxury/sport driving machine - I'd say that all this news just means that they did an absolutely phenomenal job with the CTS-V. Congrats GM - I tip my hat! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Add 200 pounds! Wow! The driver is going to have to live on bacon to do that!
And the car is going to have to take up smoking, too, to restrict the intake of air.
What an unhealthy ruling! :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by logansowner+Apr 12 2004, 10:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (logansowner @ Apr 12 2004, 10:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 03:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-logansowner
@Apr 12 2004, 07:27 PM
NASCAR (not Nascar)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Well, I'm sorry ******.

I point out someones mistake and get that, real mature. Whats your problem with NASCAR anyway? [/b][/quote]
please dont make personal attacks against other members on the forum, the capitalization of NASCAR isnt anything to get upset about. also please watch the choice of words you use. thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How you guys taken a look at the car spec sheets on the SCCA website before cadillac has to make these changes? Some of your comments are just rediculous. If you look through the spec sheet and read and fully understand it, you will see that the CTS-V R is HIGHLY ILLEGAL. They broke (or bypassed) certain rules. And if you look at the production car next to the race car, you can see the major modifications they made like removing part of the bumper and shrinking the front fenders. All the other cars look stock but not the CTS-V R.

Please don't get me wrong, I loved how the cadillac's murdered the competition in the first race and I want to see them do it again, but fair is fair.

Just go and look at the spec sheet.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by detroitmusclerules@Apr 12 2004, 08:29 PM
And if you look at the production car next to the race car, you can see the major modifications they made like removing part of the bumper and shrinking the front fenders. All the other cars look stock but not the CTS-V R.

Please don't get me wrong, I loved how the cadillac's murdered the competition in the first race and I want to see them do it again, but fair is fair.

Just go and look at the spec sheet.
i noticed these mod on the race car also. looked a little funny during the race. i think caddy can still win even with these new rules.

·
Registered
538 Posts
:angry: What complete bullsh*t!!...I know I probably shouldn't get angry about this, but it tees me off to see these restrictions put in place after the fact of the win. Kinda like saying "this is the reason you won" or something like that. But
it also lets me know caddy did a fantastic job out there. Tipping my hat to you GM!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts