GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my first one today. Man did it sound SWEET when they started it up. Its just amazing in red.

There was still water on the car (they had just washed it off) so that is what the little bumbs are on the paint. Some pics look fuzzy because of this, so add .orig.jpg and they will look better.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
I love the proportions of this car...I saw my first SSR about 2-3 weeks ago, it was black and it was stunning...(it was also stopped at a red light and everyone was pointing and looked shocked...I guess the SSR is doing its job for GM)

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
That car does nothing for me. A 2wd overweight underpowered convertible pickup truck Prowler wannabe with no cargo or towing capacity just seems like a waste of GM resources.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am with Rex on this one. My uncle builds these at GM and so I got to drive one and was not all that impressed. It was nice and moved ok, but for the price I would expect more bang for my buck. My uncle tells me GM is really excited about the SSR and they keep telling him that their line rate will need to be increased to cover the huge demand there will be for this vehicle.

I dont know what they are smoking -its a niche vehicle..

Oh well I like that they are taking some risks lately. May bring better things in the future..

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by crazywop112@Jan 16 2004, 02:49 PM
I think it is an good niche vehicle. But GM should put an LS1 in this vehicle.
fawk the LS1, blown 6.0. Or even a supercharged 5.3. Something that really brings out the cool factor is what this car needs. I dont think GM is really showing the hard top vert thing at all. I hope they show it in there commercials durring the super bowl. I like the visual appeal and would drive one if given the chance, but to buy one I dont think so. This car needed a bit more(and less) to make it a big hit. A 4k lbs, AWD, Supercharged 400hp motor, auto, lower. That would make it a kick arse roadster.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
That car does nothing for me. A 2wd overweight underpowered convertible pickup truck Prowler wannabe with no cargo or towing capacity just seems like a waste of GM resources.
Arright, Rex, we've been over this before. All of the SSR's competitors (hardtop luxury roadsters) weigh north of 4000 pounds, most of them make something in the 300hp range, and all cost a lot more than the SSR. The SSR -does- have towing capacity, and it has much more cargo capacity than any other hardtop luxury roadster.

You're gonna like the SSR whether you like it or not.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Jan 16 2004, 11:19 AM
Arright, Rex, we've been over this before. All of the SSR's competitors (hardtop luxury roadsters) weigh north of 4000 pounds, most of them make something in the 300hp range, and all cost a lot more than the SSR. The SSR -does- have towing capacity, and it has much more cargo capacity than any other hardtop luxury roadster.

Ghrankenstein
Oh shhh... you get paid to say these things! You get a kickback of each one your dealership sells :D

First it was the Prowler, then the Thunderbird, and now this SSR. When are the Japanese going to bring us some useless vehicle... oh wait... The Scion.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Jan 16 2004, 12:19 PM

You can't make me like it no matter how much you try.

The people buying a Mercedes SLK, or Lexus SC430 I don't think would ever even THINK of buying an SSR.

Check out this LINK.

It compares the 4760lb 300hp SSR to the 3220lb 349hp SLK32AMG and the 3840lb 300hp Lexus SC430.
1540lb difference!!! That's a heck of a lot.

Yes, the SSR is cheapest of the bunch. But it will also have "American resale value".

And the SSR is a truck. A guy wanting a luxury hardtop roadster wouldn't consider a truck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
People aren't going to buy SSRs because they drive like a sports car. I can see that Rex realizes that, but some people don't. They will buy it because it borrows it's body lines from some of the most BEAUTIFUL trucks ever made! This thing is more hot rod than anything else. Know what people do with hot rod trucks when they want more power? ENGINE SWAPS (502 in an SRR?:drevil:). Some of you guys dont know how many people would KILL to have a truck that looks like the classics AND has a hardtop convertible.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003@Jan 16 2004, 06:14 PM
People aren't going to buy SSRs because they drive like a sports car. I can see that Rex realizes that, but some people don't. They will buy it because it borrows it's body lines from some of the most BEAUTIFUL trucks ever made! This thing is more hot rod than anything else. Know what people do with hot rod trucks when they want more power? ENGINE SWAPS (502 in an SRR?:drevil:). Some of you guys dont know how many people would KILL to have a truck that looks like the classics AND has a hardtop convertible.
why spend all that money on an engine swap into a brand new car when a blower works just fine!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
You can't make me like it no matter how much you try.
Actually, Rex, you already do. Ask me if you don't believe it.

The people buying a Mercedes SLK, or Lexus SC430 I don't think would ever even THINK of buying an SSR.
You're right. It's a matter of fitting in vs. standing out. We -have- had a 350Z convertible offered in trade for the next one we get.

Check out this LINK.

It compares the 4760lb 300hp SSR to the 3220lb 349hp SLK32AMG and the 3840lb 300hp Lexus SC430.  1540lb difference!!! That's a heck of a lot.
If you :brick: count GCVR, the SSR would add up to 7260 with the 2500 lb trailer it can tow.

I've gotten to ride in the SSR, though I haven't yet gotten permission to drive it yet. It's a goofy blast, regardless of its actual numeric performance. I'd love to have one.

Ghrankenstein

1 - 14 of 14 Posts