GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER:
Everything presented in this article is opinion. Bash all you want.
The GM brand Saturn is lost in an identity crisis. While it is the youngest new GM lineup (All vehicles in the lineup were redesigned or introduced no earlier than MY2007), it is struggling. Lack of advertising for its volume product (Astra), and not enough dealerships are what is bringing the brand down, and down, and down.

Most readers would say "Kill Saturn, invest in Pontiac...", but I'm different. I see serious potential in the brand that not a lot of other readers do.

So, Mr. "I'm such an idiot", who's Saturn up against?
I imagine the brand as competing with higher-market brands - such as Volkswagen and Mazda, with some models gunning for Volvo (for less $$$, of course), and some models gunning for higher-end Toyotas and Hondas.

How can they get back on their feet (if that's even possible)?
More dealerships. My relative was looking for a new, more economical car to replace an old Astro van, and he drove to a Saturn dealer. He was amazed at how well the customers were treated - and how good the products looked. More dealerships would definately be a plus for the brand, as well as more advertising.

Good-looking product? How can Saturn do that?
Combine the style and flair of the Opels of Germany with the boldness of the United States. The theme established by the Aura, Outlook, and Sky was great, but what happened with the Vue and Astra?

Alright, smart guy, what cars would the "awesome" Saturn have?

• CORSA - FWD Subcompact 3- or 5-door hatchback
  • ASTRA - FWD Compact 3- or 5-door hatchback, or 4-door sedan
  • AURA - FWD/AWD Midsize 4-door sedan or wagon
  • VISTA* - FWD/AWD Large Sedan
  • SCOPE* - FWD/AWD Large 3-row Wagon
  • SKY - RWD Compact Roadster (halo car)
  • VUE - FWD/AWD Compact CUV
    *Working names.
Are you done? I want to trade my Aura in for a G8.
In conclusion, I hope that GM even makes an attempt to keep the Saturn brand alive and well. I'm hoping that the new Americanized Aura is a success, and any other product that GM pulls out for Saturn is a good one. I just see more potential in the US for Saturn than GMC, SAAB, or Pontiac.

-AJR

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Most readers would say "Kill Saturn, invest in Pontiac...", but I'm different. I see serious potential in the brand that not a lot of other readers do.
Sadly, Both brands are "finished"

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree with this,but id add in the opel zafira as the outlook
I'd agree with you there, but hopefully GM will make a good decision and produce the Chevrolet Orlando for the US.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts