GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saudi Auto magazine gives its 'Car of the Year' crown to Chevrolet Caprice Royale
Leading regional motoring publication, Saudi Auto, has named the Chevrolet Caprice Royale its 'Car of the Year' for 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The unique combination of power, luxury, stability, design and performance helped distinguish the Caprice Royale as the winner of Saudi Auto’s Car of the Year Award 2004.

The flagship was selected from a set of critically –acclaimed competitors for this most sought after honor given its raw power, sophisticated looks, spaciousness, advanced body structure, safety technology and value for money.
The recognition marks another milestone for the Chevrolet brand in the Middle East, coming at a time when sales are at an all time high.

According to Saudi Auto's Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, Bakur Azher, the Chevrolet Caprice Royale thoroughly deserves the award and is a further recognition of Caprice's special place in the history of the Gulf region.

'This is a car with more than four decades of tradition in the Middle East, yet it refuses to age. It appears as young and energetic as ever,' he said. 'This fact is supported by the public's continued love of Chevrolet and its growing affair with the Caprice Royale in particular. 'These were facts our team of experts could not ignore in making their decision,' he added.

Saudi Auto cited the unique combination of raw power, sophisticated looks, spaciousness, advanced body structure, safety technology and value for money among some of the attributes that contributed to the Caprice Royale being selected as 'Car of the Year'.

'We are delighted that the Caprice Royale has been recognised as Saudi Auto's 'Car of the Year'', says Terry Johnsson, General Motors' Managing Director for the Middle East and Africa. 'General Motors has invested a considerable amount of time in research and development of the Caprice, and the award makes everyone's effort even more worthwhile.'

The luxuries that are standard in the Royale are too numerous to list in their entirety. They include rear stereo controls, rear twin screen DVD player, 12 speaker stereo system, Blaupunkt in-dash 6-disc CD player with digital sound processing, rear headphones and rear air-conditioning to name but a few. They all add up to a complete package that reinforces the Caprice tradition of providing generous levels of features and refinement, qualities that obviously helped set it apart from the competition in this award.
http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/42333.html

·
Registered
225 Posts
The luxuries that are standard in the Royale are too numerous to list in their entirety. They include rear stereo controls, rear twin screen DVD player, 12 speaker stereo system, Blaupunkt in-dash 6-disc CD player with digital sound processing, rear headphones and rear air-conditioning
Do we (USA) have a fatory car from GM that has all that? Are we getting hosed AGAIN?

·
Registered
608 Posts
The luxuries that are standard in the Royale are too numerous to list in their entirety. They include rear stereo controls, rear twin screen DVD player, 12 speaker stereo system, Blaupunkt in-dash 6-disc CD player with digital sound processing, rear headphones and rear air-conditioning

Do we (USA) have a fatory car from GM that has all that? Are we getting hosed AGAIN?
Australia does. See http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action...ew?modelid=8000 for the Holden Caprice and http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action...ew?modelid=7000 for the Holden Statesman. Mind you, these are luxury cars and cost over AUS$50,000 (over AUS$70,000 for the Caprice).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Holdens not in the USA :p Granted we did get the monaro (as a GTO) they would be smart to use the hoden caprice or statsmen imho to be the next bonnie (unless its going to switch to a new platform (be nice if it moved to whatever the CTS is on. (is the CTS in the same size range as the bonnie or would that be more along the likes of the STS?)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Stormin@Jul 14 2004, 03:34 AM
Mind you, these are luxury cars and cost over AUS$50,000 (over AUS$70,000 for the Caprice).
heres some currency conversions..

DC¥AUD50000/USD
AUSTRALIA UNITED STATES
DOLLAR DOLLAR

AUD 50000 USD 36390.10

CONVERSION RATE USED -

.72780203784571 USD - 1 AUD
DC¥AUD70000/USD
AUSTRALIA UNITED STATES
DOLLAR DOLLAR

AUD 70000 USD 50946.14

CONVERSION RATE USED -

.72780203784571 USD - 1 AUD

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
For the past five years I've felt that there would be a market for the Statesman/Caprice in the US, sold as a Chevy Caprice.

While we all hear about how Holden supplied Pontiac its GTO, I've felt that Holden could better supply Chevy with a few hits.

Go to www.holden.com and check out the Ute. That thing absolutely screams 'El Camino'. And the Ute SS? Think 'GTO pickup', but as a top-level El Camino SS it would get some serious attention.

UTE SS (or SS UTE, depending on which page you view)

And if practicality is important, the Crewman version has 4 doors and a useful bed:

Crewman SS

It wouldn't surprise me if GM brings a few more Holden vehicles stateside.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wouldn't it be awsome for a brand new El Camino to return. :) :) :D :woot2:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
For the past five years I've felt that there would be a market for the Statesman/Caprice in the US, sold as a Chevy Caprice.

While we all hear about how Holden supplied Pontiac its GTO, I've felt that Holden could better supply Chevy with a few hits.

Go to www.holden.com and check out the Ute. That thing absolutely screams 'El Camino'. And the Ute SS? Think 'GTO pickup', but as a top-level El Camino SS it would get some serious attention.
funny thing is that GM isn't the only one to give the cool cars to the Aussies and leave us hung out. Ford has the Falcon and Falcon 'ute over there as well. rear drive, V8 cars with serious performance variants available. for some reason these domestic manufacturers have just forgotten their home markets, and put the real powerhouses down under. but, it may not be just because they are forgetting us after all...

think about what the fastest growing segment has been for the past 10 years... trucks. on the other end of that, sports cars have suffered a decline, and what incentive do the manufacturers have to offer the bad boy performance cars here? limited sales, and an indifferent public view toward these cars doesn't exactly make anyone want to spend the time and effort (and especially money) to make these things available here. especially when they can rebadge a truck as a luxury brand, add leather and navigation, and make a killing off of it. the F-Body died for a reason. the GTO, although a great car, has had very little success here. the same would probably hold true for any other imported sports/performance cars from other markets. most of us here are enthusiasts, and we want POWER, but most people out there buying cars don't care what its 0-60 time is, or the lateral G's, or quarter mile times. they want to know if it's reliable, will last a while, and if it looks and feels good to them. GM will probably bring some of its foreign market cars over here as a cost saving measure, but i doubt we'll see anything really cool. the GTO may be it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a truck tariff put on all trucks coming from Oz, so dont expect the Ute to show up any time soon from Holden.
But remember, we are all getting Zeta, so anything is possible inthe future. We could be making our own Ute for GMC. We could make a Statesman, Caprice, Ute, Monaro, or Commadore. Why bother bringing these 2 cars over here for the last 2 years of there prodcution life.
I dont think that Chevy needs any more product also.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello,

This is my first post, although I have been reading here for a few months.

>>>funny thing is that GM isn't the only one to give the cool cars to the Aussies and leave us hung out. Ford has the Falcon and Falcon 'ute over there as well. rear drive, V8 cars with serious performance variants available. for some reason these domestic manufacturers have just forgotten their home markets, and put the real powerhouses down under. but, it may not be just because they are forgetting us after all...<<<

There is, IMHO, a larger factor: U.S. government regulations. The passenger car CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) regs alone would preclude GM and Ford from offering in the US everything they offer in Australia.

>>>think about what the fastest growing segment has been for the past 10 years... trucks.<<<

Again, a function of mostly government regs. *passenger car* CAFE restrictions are much stricter than CAFE vehicles classified as "light trucks" so US manuacturers have a lot more flexibility to create a vehicle people want (large, powerful, V8, RWD) if it is classified as a light truck (SUV). In the passenger car category, GM had to sell three or four 4-cylinder Cavaliers for every V8 Camaro it sold to stay "legal." Hence, because of the government, there is no incentive to sell a V8 passenger car

>>>the F-Body died for a reason.<<<

Actually, the f-body was selling better than a lot of current models at the time they killed it. The problem was the Quebec assembly plant. It was underutilized. GM had to close the plant because it was so inefficient, but that move killed the f-body because GM made a deal with the Quebec government and the Canadiam Auto workers Union that Quebec would be the ONLY place the f-body would be made. Now that the plant is torn down, BTW, if GM can get permission from the Canadian government and the Union, look for a return of the Camaro (to be built in US) in 2006/2007.
Popular Hot Rodding, Sept. 2004).

>>>the GTO,<<<

The problems with the GTO have been mentioned here before: styling, lack of options (it doesn't even have Onstar), etc.

Look at the runaway success of the Chrysler 300C. It has everything people want that the GTO doesn't have: 4-doors, aggressive styling, Navigation system, (I think satellite radio) moonroof, HID headlamps etc.

Build a V8, rwd Pontiac Grand Prix or Bonneville or ANY GM sedan with moonroof, head-up display, XM satellite radio, OnStar, Navigation, HID headlights, paddle shift 5 or 6 speed semi-automatic transmission and run flat tires for about 35K and I will buy it RIGHT NOW! (And so will a lot of others).

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've always been a huge fan of the Holden Ute! It would make the most sense to try a small run of them as GMC but I doubt they'd pass up the opportunity to sell them as El Caminos. I'd be the first in line!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts

There is, IMHO, a larger factor: U.S. government regulations. The passenger car CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) regs alone would preclude GM and Ford from offering in the US everything they offer in Australia.
CAFE requirements are not so stringent that a V8 car could not be sold here. it has been proven time and again, most recently by Chrysler. you're always going to sell more econoboxes than the big V8s, simply because they're cheaper, and many more people need a cheap car. with a replacement for the very old Cavalier (Cobalt), GM should be able to up their sales of these fuel efficient cars.

Again, a function of mostly government regs. *passenger car* CAFE restrictions are much stricter than CAFE vehicles classified as "light trucks" so US manuacturers have a lot more flexibility to create a vehicle people want (large, powerful, V8, RWD) if it is classified as a light truck (SUV). In the passenger car category, GM had to sell three or four 4-cylinder Cavaliers for every V8 Camaro it sold to stay "legal." Hence, because of the government, there is no incentive to sell a V8 passenger car
trucks are not popular because of CAFE regs. trucks are popular because people see them as safe, high above traffic, and more useful. a V8 passenger car of today would get good enough gas mileage to be sold here under the CAFE regs.

Actually, the f-body was selling better than a lot of current models at the time they killed it. The problem was the Quebec assembly plant. It was underutilized. GM had to close the plant because it was so inefficient, but that move killed the f-body because GM made a deal with the Quebec government and the Canadiam Auto workers Union that Quebec would be the ONLY place the f-body would be made. Now that the plant is torn down, BTW, if GM can get permission from the Canadian government and the Union, look for a return of the Camaro (to be built in US) in 2006/2007.
Popular Hot Rodding, Sept. 2004).
the F-Body was selling just over half as well as the Mustang. a Mustang, mind you, that was available through only one division versus the 2 F-Bodies we had to choose from. the Quebec plant may have had something to do with it, but GM wouldn't have axed it completely if it had been doing better. it's all about the dollar.... follow the money.

The problems with the GTO have been mentioned here before: styling, lack of options (it doesn't even have Onstar), etc.
what else could you want besides nav? it's VERY well equipped, and i like what they did in that aspect of it...much like Acura, they offer it nearly loaded with few options, so the dealers can simplify ordering, and customers don't have so many decisions to make... it's either want it or don't. as far as OnStar, we have been told that less than 4% of customers renew their subscription after the free period. we don't order SAABs with it anymore since it was dropped as a standard feature, and it hasn't been a problem.

Look at the runaway success of the Chrysler 300C. It has everything people want that the GTO doesn't have: 4-doors, aggressive styling, Navigation system, (I think satellite radio) moonroof, HID headlamps etc.
the most i've seen of the 300 is the ones that have the little "e" on the back (Enterprise rent-a-car). besides, it is more practical, and is meant to be high volume. the GTO is not. it's just an upper level sports car. the 300 is hardly EVERYTHING people want. there are an awful lot of people pining for a rear drive sports car, and there it is....

Build a V8, rwd Pontiac Grand Prix or Bonneville or ANY GM sedan with moonroof, head-up display, XM satellite radio, OnStar, Navigation, HID headlights, paddle shift 5 or 6 speed semi-automatic transmission and run flat tires for about 35K and I will buy it RIGHT NOW! (And so will a lot of others).
GM obviously has the ability to build these cars, but people haven't been screaming for them in a very long time. now that people are, it's going to take some time to get them out there, which is one reason why the GTO is here from Oz. it was quick and easy to bring over, and didn't require a lot of development. the Aussie cars could be utilized in much the same way for other segments.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
you dont need no paddle shifters
those are for wimps, you cant even spin the tires over with them :roflmao:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good points regarding people chosing cars vs. trucks!

>>>CAFE requirements are not so stringent that a V8 car could not be sold here. it has been proven time and again, most recently by Chrysler.<<<

Well, technically speaking, the 300C is only a parttime V8 as you probably know; sometimes you're coasting along on 4 cylinders. I don't particularly like this feature, but it shows how advanced technology is the answer to the fuel economy question.

>>>you're always going to sell more econoboxes than the big V8s, simply because they're cheaper . . . (Cobalt) GM should be able to up their sales of these fuel efficient cars.<<<

Absolutely true. Let's hope the Cobalt is a big success.

>>>trucks are not popular because of CAFE regs. trucks are popular because people see them as safe, high above traffic, and more useful.<<<

I'm just thinking that a few decades ago, when people had a choice between big, V8, RWD cars and big, V8, RWD trucks, most chose CARS (families had station wagons, not SUVs) and singles had BIG RWD V8 coupes like the Thunderbirds of the '50's, '60's and '70's. From the mid-1990's to the present, almost every passenger car made by GM and Chrysler was mid-size, FWD, 4 or 6 cylinder. Between that and trucks, in the '90's, a lot of people chose trucks/SUVs.

>>>the F-Body was selling just over half as well as the Mustang. a Mustang, mind you, that was available through only one division versus the 2 F-Bodies we had to choose from.<<<

Correct. Mustang, approximately 150,000 a year, f-bodies (combined) approximately 60,000 - 70,000 a year. Current GTO, less than 9,000 a year. SSR, probably less than 15,000 a year. Follow the money indeed. No wonder GM keeps losing market share.

>>>what else could you want besides nav?<<<

Don't get me wrong, I really like the GTO. If GM wants to move Pontiac "upmarket" as they have said, IMHO it needs some or all of what many other cars in the price range have:

Navigation (as mentioned before)
Pontiac head-up display
moonroof
run flat tires
5 or 6 speed automatic/paddle shift transmission
HID headlamps
aggressive styling
OnStar (well, at least I would use it)
Bluetooth wireless options like on similarly-priced Acura
XM satellite radio
MP3/IPOD audio options
Maybe even rear access doors like the Saturn Ion or Mazda RX8

I think in the next few years the GTO, if GM keeps incrementally improving it, is going to be a really awesome premium coupe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Answers to:

(1) You don't need paddle shift.

A LOT of people spend 2 to 3 hours a day, EVERY day, in bumper to bumper traffic at 15, 20, 30 MPH. I (and most other people) want an automatic transmission for that kind of daily mess.

But then on the weekends, go out into the mountains or a country road, switch it over to paddle shift mode, and it is more fun than you can imagine. It is the best of both worlds. Paddle shift is perfect for the REAL world: the convenience of an automatic when you need it, the fun of shifting when you want it.

(2) You don't need a nav system; can't you read a map?

There are millions of things (literally) on a good navigation system that are not on a map. It's really awesome to be in an unfamilar area and ask the nav system "where's the nearest Holiday Inn or the nearest Italian restaurant or ATM or hospital or Sunoco or whatever, and it says "turn left here" and guides right to their doorstep. That's 21st century, BABY!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The only thing that the GTO dosent have that I really really thing they should have gave it was the HUD.. I mean the Grand Prix has it, and its 3 steps down ( by corprate structure) to the GTO. The hud was a main reason I was going to get a GTP (that and the SC 3800) but then the GTO came out.. and I want it. maybe the 05 will get the hud.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@Jul 14 2004, 07:14 AM
What competiors did Caprice have ??? :huh:
Well there is the Crown Victoria , the Grand Marquis and the 300C..

to me they are the only real competitors to it in out market.. there isn't a Japanese or European car in smae price level and with a V8..

to you all I've been in it and it is really outstanding and the way it accelrates it really has muscle. you can smoke a hand worth of sports cars with it B)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts