GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about Saturn's "next, larger companion to the VUE", and my breakfast almost came bubbling up at the thought of another Trailblazer clone... :rolleyes:

What would make a good second, if only slightly larger Saturn SUV?

I assume since the Saturn Relay is coming with a 4-speed console shifer and pushrod "value" V6, that "new tech or 'import-killer' engines and transmissions" are no longer a rule for Saturn...so add any old idea you like to the list above.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I don't think Sayurn will get a version of the GMT-350 platform, I think their larger SUV will be a Lambda based vehicle

·
Registered
922 Posts
Lambda. Build lots of Lambdas!

·
Registered
613 Posts
How about just making the Vue a better car? I mean the exterior is great IMO. The interior is nicely laid out but the plastics, as with other GM vehicles are so damn cheap looking, it's frustrating. IMO, the Vue borders on being a great small SUV but misses teh boat because it comes off looking cheap.

IMO, I don't think Saturn should build a larger SUV. If they are going to be an import fighter, they should stick with what they've got and just make them better.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Man, I just read the article about the improvments to the Vue. THAT is what I was talkin' about. I guess I can withdraw my earlier comments until I've seen the newer Vue close up. That dashboard is MUCH better, I hope the rest of the interior is following suit.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is folks, From AutoWeek (in case you missed it):

He said the vehicle will be built on a new architecture. Lutz's description seems to agree with supplier reports that Saturn will get a crossover vehicle on the Lambda architecture, designed for front- and all-wheel-drive minivans and crossovers. That architecture is designated for a plant GM will build near Lansing, Mich.
Lambda Lambda Lambda!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 3 2004, 04:48 PM
Here it is folks, From AutoWeek (in case you missed it):

He said the vehicle will be built on a new architecture. Lutz's description seems to agree with supplier reports that Saturn will get a crossover vehicle on the Lambda architecture, designed for front- and all-wheel-drive minivans and crossovers. That architecture is designated for a plant GM will build near Lansing, Mich.
Lambda Lambda Lambda!

Ming,

Whats next the Omega Mu Architecture :lol: ?..............

Ken

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why not let Saturn use the Blazer platform. There is still a lot of people who like that truck <_<

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by karhopper@Feb 5 2004, 03:56 AM
Why not let Saturn use the Blazer platform. There is still a lot of people who like that truck <_<
cause the blazer blows. A lot of people like the Fbody and you see how that worked out. So the next "suv" wont be an suv at all, it will be a mini van? Wait, cross over...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Feb 10 2004, 02:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Feb 10 2004, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-karhopper@Feb 5 2004, 03:56 AM
cause the blazer blows. A lot of people like the Fbody and you see how that worked out. So the next "suv" wont be an suv at all, it will be a mini van? Wait, cross over... [/b][/quote]
Too late, Saturn already got one of those (Relay). So it'll be more next-gen Rendezvous I think. I hope not another 360 platform. GM has enough: Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainier, 9-7x, [Bravada]...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think Saturn should strip down a Cadillac STS. Personally, it is an elegant vehicle. The Rendevous is pretty ugly (remember, Azteck platform.Azteck platform that is what the Rendevous platform is!) The Trailblazers/Envoys have too much vehicles crowding on their platform, the Malibu Maxx is quote, "a wagon, not an SUV', so there you have it.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
GM doesn't need another full-line division. saturn (as it was intended) was a good idea. not as relevant now, what with some kick-a$$ chevys and pontiacs in the works. if saturn is going to exist it needs more focus. rebadged GM standards (minivan, epsilon sedan, SUV)? why? i simply can't grasp why GM is stuffing another divison full of readily-available GM vehicles. SC2 was a sharp little car you couldn't get anywhere else... i'd have bought a saturn back then... but not now.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Saturn's reason for existing is still there. Chevrolet and Pontiac (and the rest of the GM brands) may have better vehicles today compared to 15 years ago (before Saturn came on line), but that wasn't the point. If you've ever spent time in a GM (or Ford or Chrysler/Dodge) dealership, you'll notice the extreme lack of competitive vehicles driving through the lot. Foreign car buyers do not (as a generalization) cross-shop with the Big 3. Saturn was supposed to distance itself from GM and become a place to lure in import-intenders. The Cobalt MIGHT bring in some people, but the Malibu won't. I doubt the G6 will. Saturn still has a reason to exist...but the brand is quickly losing it's "a different kind of car company" image...if it isn't already gone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts