GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,914 Posts
Originally posted by gtjeff@Jun 6 2004, 02:41 AM
Uncle Bob,
How about making the Saturn roadster mid-engine with plastic panels? This way it would appeal to a different segment of the market than Solstice. There are plenty of fiero owners who would like a new ride and its not Solstice.
Easy answer: they don't want to have to engineer a whole new car! Kappa may be flexible, but you're talking about fundamental changes here, Jeff.

· Registered
4,914 Posts
My concern: GM seems to have lost its nerve on Kappa. This one is going to be another short wheelbase roadster. Has GM given upon the longer (by nearly a foot, if memory serves) platform that underlay the Nomad and the Curve?

· Registered
4,914 Posts
Originally posted by gtjeff+Jun 6 2004, 11:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gtjeff @ Jun 6 2004, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AMcA@Jun 6 2004, 01:39 PM
Easy answer: they don't want to have to engineer a whole new car!  Kappa may be flexible, but you're talking about fundamental changes here, Jeff.
It is possible by moving the subframes around. The space frame used to make the ford gt was used to come up with the front engine cobra concept. It could be done on kappa as well. An affordable mid-engine would have little competition and be much more in demand than solstice (rather than just be another front engine 2 seater in an already crowded market).

A longer wheelbase on kappa is possible by lengthening the frame rails, something which can be easily done on a space frame. I believe kappa may spawn a suprise vehicle in a few years. [/b][/quote]
GTJeff: are you an engineer? You sound quite knowledgeable.

It would seem to me that a mid-engine car would be so funadmentally different that all sorts of systems and design decisions would have to change. Close to engineering a new car.

But I don't know much about this. My Dad's an engineer, but me, I'm just another lawyer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.