GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
This sure looks a lot better than that photo we saw previously.

Question is - does it have a 4-speed transmission and a pushrod V6 with a steering column shifter? Those things won't appeal to the Import-fighting Saturn buyer.

Ya can't say they "won't care" or else why has GM spent so much time and money putting Opel engines, CVTs, Honda engines, and 5-speed transmissions in their vehicles, VUE included?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Dec 4 2003, 08:11 PM

Question is - does it have a 4-speed transmission and a pushrod V6 with a steering column shifter? Those things won't appeal to the Import-fighting Saturn buyer.

Ya can't say they "won't care" or else why has GM spent so much time and money putting Opel engines, CVTs, Honda engines, and 5-speed transmissions in their vehicles, VUE included?
Umm... Oopsie? :lol:

I will admit that it has a very nice interior though ;) We'll have to see what's more important to people...but you're right, the "import fighter" is lacking in some areas. Not a bad showing, a lot better than I thought it would be.

·
Super Moderator
10,866 Posts
If you want to see what the Saturn version has in it, check out Saturn Realy Site to view the overview, interior/exterior details.

I think ther interiors are a big improvement over the outgoing sister modes from Olds, Chevy and Pontiac. Exteriorwise, I like the Terraza more though -- But still they use the same headlamps/foglamps and look TOO similiar. Interiorwise, they use the same basic set up, but why do they not offer a floor mounted shifter? With every miniwan in this segment going that way, this was a big oversight!

·
Registered
922 Posts
These Pics are a lot better and they help differentiate the modles a little bit. Again the interiors look much better than what they replace. Hey they even saved money and look good doing it by using the GrandPrix steering wheel!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I definately still don't like it, but at least this is the first saturn without those ugly square headlights that span across the whole front end.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I agree that this pic looks a lot better than the picture posted a little while ago.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Wow- I'm really liking the Saturn... I love the grille-- and watching the videos- it really looks SUV-esk-- like a larger Highlander with sliding doors.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Dec 4 2003, 08:11 PM

I suppose we could argue all day about the looks of this vehicle, but I like the comment that it's "not offensive." Minivans are not lookers. They should look respectable and classy, not outstanding. These vans should cover a nice market niche with subtle but distictive looks.
I don't understand why everyone has a problem with pushrod engines. I have owned and driven both ohc and ohv engines and can scarcely tell the difference in idle smoothness and inherent noise, particularly as the engines age. The new technology gm is applying to its OHV engines (VVT, higher rev range, etc) combined with the packaging benefits (less necessary engine bay, easier to work on, lighter, lower mounting position for improved handling characteristics, etc) and lower cost, why would anyone want an OHC? Now, that was a half-joking comment so please, no violent retorts. All I am asking is why do we assume that a pushrod engine is inferior. clearly, arguments can be made for both, so why don't we focus on performance instead of labels. I have found the 3.5 to be a satisfying, if not remarkable, engine well suited for light duty such as this.
The interior looks fantastic, simple and elegant--no complaints here. I love the guages, especially the Saturn's (did I say that in public?). Functionality seems excellent, particularly the fold out trays, and overhead storage. I'm not bothered that the seats don't fold into the floor, as long as they create a flat surface.
Also, the build quality seems great, even the gap at the front of the hood (which many automakers try to hide by blending it with the grill) looks amazingly small and even.
Now, I do have a few minor gripes. Why isn't the 3.9 with VVT an option? Particulaly on more upscale and expensive models (ie Buick). I understand Gm is working on a FWD 6 speed transmission. Well, its about time. I think GM makes some of the best transmissions on the planet, but why not keep up with the other Co's in # of gears? I suspect the initial tranny will be the venerable 4 speed Auto, which is fine for 90 percent, but a 10 percent increase in sales from a better tranny and fuel economy (an accompanying increase in good will and market share), imo, would be worth the cost. I hope the 6 spd is in the future. Hopefully, too, the lambda platform is on the way, while the current platform seems adequate, competition is stiff and GM doesn't need to provide reasons for MT, CD, AW, and company to complain. Also, I don't mind the column shifter, but if the van is going to have front buckets anyway, why not give it a preferred floor shifter?

All in all nice van, good job GM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
From the front it does sort of look like the volvo, but from every other angle it sure doesn't.

I'm not a mini van fan but I would definetly like to see one of these when they hit the showrooms just for the fit and finish and interior style. So I can see what I have to look forward too.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by jckjds@Dec 5 2003, 05:08 PM
Now, I do have a few minor gripes.  Why isn't the 3.9 with VVT an option?  Particulaly on more upscale and expensive models (ie Buick).  I understand Gm is working on a FWD 6 speed transmission.  Well, its about time.  I think GM makes some of the best transmissions on the planet, but why not keep up with the other Co's in # of gears?  I suspect the initial tranny will be the venerable 4 speed Auto, which is fine for 90 percent, but a 10 percent increase in sales from a better tranny and fuel economy (an accompanying increase in good will and market share), imo, would be worth the cost.  I hope the 6 spd is in the future. 

GM doesn't need to provide reasons for MT, CD, AW, and company to complain.  Also, I don't mind the column shifter, but if the van is going to have front buckets anyway, why not give it a preferred floor shifter?
I think we're on the same page, but the rubbery column shifter has to go.

About the pushrod comments -- I just don't think it fits Saturn's image, like the hoary 4-speed.

Like the Saab 9-7 not using a Turbo and having some OHV V-8 engine, it just reeks of cheap beancounter badge engineering.

But I do like the Buick Terazza's interior, and think it will be a fine minivan for Chevy as well.

The Pontiac Montana SV6 had better offer some variation, though. If Pontiac has to have a minivan, it should at least offer a little more pep, excitement, or at least a thunderous stereo system ---- something to differentiate itself from Saturn and Buick --- otherwise, GM, *don't friggin offer it*. There's no reason to water down Pontiac's excitement image you're shooting for just so you can make 1000 more minivans at the factory.:argue:

Chevy can take the low end, as usual.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Looks like they actually gave it new taillights - a good thing. Also painted a part of the rear quarter window section that was black before, to make it look more like an SUV.

The current Oldsmobile Silhouette:

Montana:

Venture:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think it's actually paint......looks like sheet metal to me..... :mf_boff:

·
Registered
13 Posts
GM has tried the whole SUV/MINIVAN thing with the intruduction of the PONTIAC TRANSPORT MONTANA back in 97. Here in Canada, Montana's seem to be more popular then the other 2. I guess by having all divisions as SUV(looking) vans, sales should increase :krider: ......they need that!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts