GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - General Motors says it has fixed problems with the continuously variable transmission it uses in the Saturn Ion and Vue, and is offering an extended warranty to ease buyers' fears.

GM extended the warranty coverage on the transmission from 3 years/36,000 miles to 5 years/75,000 miles.

GM yanked the fuel-saving one-speed gearbox from production in January because of durability problems with the steel belt inside the gearbox that connects to pulleys. GM did not say what the problems were, and would not say how many it had replaced or repaired under warranty.

Because the steel belt is under extreme stress, it is the most crucial - and potentially troublesome - part of the transmission. Developing reliable belts that can handle high torque loads and run quietly is a problem that has dogged automakers trying to develop CVTs.

Full Article

·
Registered
750 Posts
so...do these drive any different than a normal tranny?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
hmmm... i'd still be skeptical. if there's so much difficulty making a reliable belt (they didn't do it right the first time), i have to wonder what miracle cure they found. the extended warranty is nice, but i'd be a little nervous at 75,001 miles. maybe it'll have to become a service item (replace belt at 60,000 miles).

that makes me think of a joke:

what did the 0 say to the 8?

nice belt! :lol:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Apr 19 2004, 11:18 AM
Now if only we could get the big 3 to offer these warranties on all there products!
It would be nice if these did this, but they really have no incentive. The minute they upped their warrenties, all the competition would do this and their competitive advantage would be lost immediately.

Mark

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Apr 19 2004, 04:27 AM
so...do these drive any different than a normal tranny?
Much different. I have some news for you, These trannys dont shift very well. In fact, they dont even shift at all Because they are CVT. "Continueiously Variable" A belt on 2 angled spring loaded pullys that is always changeing gear ratios triggered by rpm of the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Extending the warranty on a controversial component may be considered good faith. Putting a giant warranty on the whole vehicle could be construed as a selling tool (please buy us, we promise it won't break!) and HAS to be used by certain mfrs or we wouldn't give them a second look. The fact is, most (MOST, not ALL) people want a new car every 2-3 years. What good is a non-transferrable 10-year warranty to someone who trades cars every 3 years? nada! It's merely a closing tool. Most repairs would not be covered anyway. Keep the 3/36 warranty like the other strong marques, it really doesn't hurt that much.

By the way I think the CVT is a piece of garbage. Not because of any reliability issues, but it is noisy and confusing to most people and not worth 2mpg in the city over a traditional 4 or 5-speed auto. I'll buy one when it out-powers a manual tranny.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Transmission problems are the worst. When these do break down, where can you get a CVT serviced? Does it cost more or take special tools? I wouldn’t count on these transmissions making it near the 200k mark. Once these cars devalue to a certain point, I can see people junking them instead of fixing expensive transmissions since this already happens often with older cars. Either they have fixed the problem or very few of these are going to be on the road as time drags on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wouldn't there be alot LESS to break on the CVT?

Future servicing would simply be replacing that belt and probably re"tuning" the pulleys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts