GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.leftlanenews.com/saturn-aura-future.html

Our travels throughout two states this week found engineers busy testing both the recently introduced Opel Insignia (photos 1 through 4) and its upcoming near-identical twin, the all-new Saturn Aura (images 5 and 6). Both models have very similar – yet unique grilles, and the Saturn is proudly wearing U.S. spec headlamps.

Source: www.leftlanenews.com

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also notice a few easter eggs... head on shot, you can see two types of NA headlights, both HID and non-HID. Also, on one of the photos, a vehicle is being uncovered. What could it be... maybe the new mini-me van, or a Theta crossover?... let the speculation begin.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Also notice a few easter eggs... head on shot, you can see two types of NA headlights, both HID and non-HID. Also, on one of the photos, a vehicle is being uncovered. What could it be... maybe the new mini-me van, or a Theta crossover?... let the speculation begin.
please go with the HID

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Why is it that GM always feels the need to scrimp on US headlights? I mean, that's one of the coolest features of the Insignia and of any car for that matter. The idea is to make their cars MORE ATTRACTIVE!! Are the unit's on the Insignia really that much more expensive? I guess it doesn't matter because since it's delayed, by the time they bring it here it will be old news anyway! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Too bad this car is quite a ways off....

Well at least it's being tested AS IF it were going to be produced.

Didn't I read that it will be about 18 months or so, or is it longer?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Well at least it's being tested AS IF it were going to be produced.

Didn't I read that it will be about 18 months or so, or is it longer?
The current Aura came on in 2006, they want it to last 5-6 years. So we won't see this car until 2011 or so now. It has been pushed back. Stay tuned, we will have some news on this shortly.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Was the Aura really due mid 2009 like the article said? I assume we won't be seeing it on lots until its half way thru its cycle in Europe?

Wouldn't it make sense to bite the bullet on this one and cut the current Aura model run short to get it on the same schedule as the European offering?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I didn't see anything wrong w/ GM postponing the Aura by a year. The current gen IMO is one of the best looking mid-sizers 2nd only to the new 6. I think Saturn still needs a little more brand recognition and by the time the new Aura debuts the brand will have hopefully stirred up a lil' more buzz.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
The current Aura came on in 2006, they want it to last 5-6 years. So we won't see this car until 2011 or so now. It has been pushed back. Stay tuned, we will have some news on this shortly.

I'm thinking in lei of current situations concerning GM and cars... the next Aura will probably hit in 2010... despite a rather short life of the current Aura. There would HARDLY be a loss since the current Aura was essentially morphed from a Vectra, G6 and previous Malibu... This car and the Cruze need to go on-line for the 2010 MY... and should actually debut in the spring of 2009... IF GM knu what was good for them... Plus.. they should both carry at least a $1000 premium over the cars they are replacing, because the profits lost in the dwindling sales of SUVs has to be made up by selling twice as many cars as they lose in SUV/Truck sales

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Well, what if the delay means that it can debut in the US with the HCCI 4 banger and a 40 MPG HWY fuel econ?

Would you be willing to wait 18 months for that?

Also, I would like for GM to be able to devote more resources to each vehicle at launch, the Camaro, Invicta, Traverse, the 4.5 DOHC diesels, CTS-V, coupe, wagon, etc etc, theres a good number of cars comming up so I dont mind that that Aura pushed back a little, it's not like they have been starved for new products, the oldest car in the line up is the Sky.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I'm thinking in lei of current situations concerning GM and cars... the next Aura will probably hit in 2010... despite a rather short life of the current Aura. There would HARDLY be a loss since the current Aura was essentially morphed from a Vectra, G6 and previous Malibu... This car and the Cruze need to go on-line for the 2010 MY... and should actually debut in the spring of 2009... IF GM knu what was good for them... Plus.. they should both carry at least a $1000 premium over the cars they are replacing, because the profits lost in the dwindling sales of SUVs has to be made up by selling twice as many cars as they lose in SUV/Truck sales
Remember...up until three weeks ago the Aura WAS going to come out as a 2010 model. It has been pushed back. Saturn publicly commented on GMI's article, confirming the car has been pushed back "at least a year."

Also, please remember the Aura is in better shape than other Epsilon cars (cough G6 cough).

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Looking at the second picture from the left, you'll notice a GMC Terrain also being tested. Looks like GM is moving forward with its plans. I do like the headlights of the Insignia, hopefully they don't change a thing from the exterior. Don't change the interior please.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Remember...up until three weeks ago the Aura WAS going to come out as a 2010 model. It has been pushed back. Saturn publicly commented on GMI's article, confirming the car has been pushed back "at least a year."

Also, please remember the Aura is in better shape than other Epsilon cars (cough G6 cough).
Another reason to can all these brands. Better to sell one class leading product than four mid pack models. The Aura is being left behind by the competition. That the G6 is worse off only proves the point of GMs problems.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Was the Aura really due mid 2009 like the article said? I assume we won't be seeing it on lots until its half way thru its cycle in Europe?

Wouldn't it make sense to bite the bullet on this one and cut the current Aura model run short to get it on the same schedule as the European offering?
I agree 100%. Cut the losses now and bring the best to market.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I see. I was wondering why GM would have gone to the expensive trouble of developing the current Aura just to kill it in 3 years. I just wish the current car were more popular with the public. Honestly, it's so frustrating to see a wonderful, handsome car like the Aura languish at the dealership.

On the other hand, this will be a 2 year old design by the time it comes to the US market. A situation that has dogged many of GM's attempts to sell their European cars here. (Astra, Catera)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts