GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
As a current Aura driver, I am beginning not to like GM vehicles anymore. A friend of mine just got the new Mazda 6 and I think it blows the Aura and Malibu out of the water. If Ford takes a page from Mazda's book, then GM better look out. GM needs to focus and I think the best way to do that is to eliminate Saturn all together and focus on Chevy and Pontiac.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
As a current Aura driver, I am beginning not to like GM vehicles anymore. A friend of mine just got the new Mazda 6 and I think it blows the Aura and Malibu out of the water. If Ford takes a page from Mazda's book, then GM better look out. GM needs to focus and I think the best way to do that is to eliminate Saturn all together and focus on Chevy and Pontiac.
Thank God, taste is just an opinion. Because, I think the new 6 is ugly. Definately a step down from the last model.

The Aura holds it's own very well. It has great lines, and it's not too over the top.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Anybody notice for 2009 the Malibu no longer has the side repeater lights? I wonder if that was just cost cutting or if they had some reason for it?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The new Mazda 6 is definitely the strongest competitor out there right now to the Malibu. It has a great engine, good gas mileage, looks good(subjective), handles great and has all the latest safety and tech toys. It can be argued though, that it's really a competitor for the Impala because of the size like the new Accord. the only thing keeping the 6 down is that Mazda is not really on peoples radar for family vehicles, but this new one will get peoples attention, especially with those flashy commercials.

·
Registered
862 Posts
A friend of mine just got the new Mazda 6 and I think it blows the Aura and Malibu out of the water. If Ford takes a page from Mazda's book, then GM better look out.
Did you actually drive in it versus look at it? The 4 cylinder is very slow on the acceleration and gets only marginal fuel mileage. The V-6 is too powerful with torque steer until the ESP shuts down the power. Nice to look at, not so nice to drive. Interior is last generation Lexus - the integration is all off, but it does look nicer than it's class.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Anybody notice for 2009 the Malibu no longer has the side repeater lights? I wonder if that was just cost cutting or if they had some reason for it?
I for one didn't think the side repeater lights were necessary on the Malibu. This feature is more common on European vehicles and more insync with Saturn's new overall design direction.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Did you actually drive in it versus look at it? The 4 cylinder is very slow on the acceleration and gets only marginal fuel mileage. The V-6 is too powerful with torque steer until the ESP shuts down the power. Nice to look at, not so nice to drive. Interior is last generation Lexus - the integration is all off, but it does look nicer than it's class.
I agree.

Torque steer sucks.

Buy a G8 - problem solved.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The new Mazda 6 is definitely the strongest competitor out there right now to the Malibu. It has a great engine, good gas mileage, looks good(subjective), handles great and has all the latest safety and tech toys. It can be argued though, that it's really a competitor for the Impala because of the size like the new Accord. the only thing keeping the 6 down is that Mazda is not really on peoples radar for family vehicles, but this new one will get peoples attention, especially with those flashy commercials.
:confused:Maybe you should check the Mazda 6's EPA ratings before you say it gets "good gas mileage". It looks like it has worst-in-class ratings for all three engine/tranny combos. A very disappointing performance for a brand new car in an era when fuel economy is King.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove both a 08 Bu and also an 09 mazda6, while the mazda6 was a bit more sporty looking, a loaded 6 without nav was $6500 more then a loaded LTZ Bu after employee pricing and rebates. The mazda dealers are not moving much on price yet with a very small supply of fully loaded 6s. So the the 6 really 6500 better then the BU? Throw in the GM card bonus earninga and not even close!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Yeah, I had to point that out to the sales guy when I went to test the new 4 cyl with 6 speed. He just scratched his head with an "I dunno". Personally I think it is a mistake to delete them.

As to the new powertrain, acceleration too weak for me...especially when you want a passing gear. Non-existant. Get roar but no juice. Stay in the RH lane on the freeway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, I had to point that out to the sales guy when I went to test the new 4 cyl with 6 speed. He just scratched his head with an "I dunno". Personally I think it is a mistake to delete them.

As to the new powertrain, acceleration too weak for me...especially when you want a passing gear. Non-existant. Get roar but no juice. Stay in the RH lane on the freeway.
where are you people getting this from? I have an 08 aura XE 4 cyl and it does pretty darn good WITHOUT the 2 added gears. I drove a 4cyl/6a for a couple days and it was a good improvement. Plenty quick enough for a DAILY DRIVER. seriously, if you want performance why the hell are you looking at a 33mpg midsize fwd car in the first place???

·
Registered
4,822 Posts

No better way to focus then randomly cutting entire divisions.

Dear Saturn Franchisee:

We are sorry but we will no longer be building Saturn Vehicles because we want to "focus". Although this means the loss of 430+ stand alone Saturn Stores and employment for thousands of people, not to mention the massive investment we made in giving Saturn the freshest lineup in GM, we think this is the right move because it will help GM build cars more like the Mazda 6.

Please direct any remaining customers to Oldsmobile... Sorry, I mean Cheverolet and Pontiac. After all, what's the difference.

Sincerely,

Bob Lutz

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
the Aura is a couple years old.. the Mazda6 is 100% new. Wait till the new Aura comes out then decide.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
where are you people getting this from? I have an 08 aura XE 4 cyl and it does pretty darn good WITHOUT the 2 added gears. I drove a 4cyl/6a for a couple days and it was a good improvement. Plenty quick enough for a DAILY DRIVER. seriously, if you want performance why the hell are you looking at a 33mpg midsize fwd car in the first place???
You have a point, but I wasn't looking for all-out performance. Was hoping though that it had sufficient pep since I am trying to weigh economy vs. the 3.6 and I do a lot of freeway driving which often calls for the ability to reach for some punch. OR like I said, just stay in the right lane and keep telling myself that I'm conserving fuel.

I intend to take a second look but 1st impression wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped..

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
As a current Aura driver, I am beginning not to like GM vehicles anymore. A friend of mine just got the new Mazda 6 and I think it blows the Aura and Malibu out of the water.
As a last generation Mazda6 driver, I am beginning not to like Mazda vehicles anymore. A friend of mine just got the new Aura and I think it blows the old Mazda6 out of the water.

To add insult to injury, Mazda brought out a new Mazda6 that makes my last generation Mazda6 really look like crap. Now I really hate Mazda. I wish manufacturer would stop improving their products over the years. ;-)

Mark

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Wait for the 2010 Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan with best in class fuel economy on their new 2.5L I4. The V6 gets a power boost as well, should be a good all around car designed for the American customer. And it's available with AWD and all the tech goodies not availabe in the competition.

The Malibu and Aura are the same cars but the Malibu is newer, why would anybody buy the Aura unless loaded with rebates? What a mess! Can you imagine if Ford decided to dump Billions into Mercury, let Ford languish, and then got around to fixing Ford? This is analogous to the Chevy/Saturn relationship. In the process, they left Saturn with dismal sales and give people better products at Chevrolet. That product divergence not only cost countless billions, they end up competing for the same customer and are now left with a costly product cycle. I've never seen a car company needlessly waste so much money because of overtly bad decision making.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank God, taste is just an opinion. Because, I think the new 6 is ugly. Definately a step down from the last model.

The Aura holds it's own very well. It has great lines, and it's not too over the top.
Have you seen the new Mazda6 in person? I thought the same thing until I saw it in person, wow kind of blew me away. But your right taste is just an opinion.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts